05-09-2017, 04:26 AM
User Info
I did a quick search and didn't turn up much on TSN regarding this topic, so I am posting these seemingly simple questions. How do you use a dual comb head? What are the benefits? What is your routine? I just picked one up and would love to learn more from the collective. Thanks fellas.

22 131
 05-09-2017, 05:10 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I use the OC edge for my first pass, and the closed comb edge for the second pass and touch ups.

The open comb is designed for heavier beard/growth, so it makes sense to use it on the first pass.

This is how I use it. Others may use it in a different manner.

169 1,424
 05-09-2017, 05:42 AM
User Info
I have two dual comb razors, and I use them the same way I use any of my other razors.  I shave with one side until it's filled up with lather, then flip it over and shave until the other side is filled.  Then rinse and repeat.  

Of the two dual comb razors I own, neither one of them seems particularly more efficient or more aggressive on the open comb side, so I just pretend like both sides are the same.  It works for me.  

What Ron is saying in his post makes perfect sense, and may well be what the manufacturers had in mind when they made dual comb razors, but the sticking point for me has been that the two sides don't seem to shave any differently.

2 1,548
 05-09-2017, 05:46 AM
User Info
Seems "gimmicky" to me. I own both open and closed comb razors and, like @kingfisher just said, I can't tell a difference either. But that's me. YMMV.

39 3,949
 05-09-2017, 05:51 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Yeah, same here. The iKon Shavecraft razor feels pretty much the same on both sides. But yes, comb side first then solid bar for second pass.

7 2,357
 05-09-2017, 05:53 AM
User Info
The first time I saw a dual comb my thought was that it would be useful for someone wanting to compare one against the other before purchasing an OC, or an SB. Than, whether it was Ron in another thread or forum, or someone else, I saw the idea of using OC on the first pass, and SB on the second. Made sense to me, but I was not planning on getting a DC. I already knew that I like both, and just as soon have dedicated OC and SB than a DC.

Then a friend who had gotten a DC Wolfman in a .74mm gap offered it to me and, having only used a .61 WM, I went for it for the larger blade gap. I did try it using Ron's technique to begin with, but found myself going along with kingfisher and just using it like any other DE. Now that I have a DC I'm glad that I do, and wouldn't rule out getting another, maybe a level 3 Charcoal if the opportunity presents itself. BTW, I found that the .61 gap is just fine for me, though the .74 is cool too.

7 237
 05-09-2017, 06:07 AM
User Info
I had one of the first iKon versions of it and never understood it.  Either you do one side for a whole pass, which slows things down.  Or its so close that it doesn't matter and so then what's the point?  Then again I'm just a caveman.  Your world frightens and confuses me.

84 1,505
 05-09-2017, 09:26 AM
User Info
Rarely.

24 662
 05-09-2017, 01:15 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(05-09-2017, 05:10 AM)Steelman Wrote: I use the OC edge for my first pass, and the closed comb edge for the second pass and touch ups.

The open comb is designed for heavier beard/growth, so it makes sense to use it on the first pass.

This is how I use it. Others may use it in a different manner.

I agree with Steelman.  I have the iKon and that is exactly how I use it.  But, it depends on the version you have as both sides may be very aggressive or very mild or the open comb side might be more mild than the safety bar side.  And as always, a lot depends on the shaving problem you have.  Smooth skin and light beards can be shaved with many more razor and blade combinations then uneven skin and a coarse beard.  The best way to find out if a solution works for you is to try it.

19 566
 05-09-2017, 02:05 PM
User Info
[Image: 003_Aa_zpsuhwmsicp.jpg]

Personally I've always liked the idea of a dual comb, but I wanted the open comb side to be more agressive than the safety bar side.  If you are into ATT, think open comb R and Safety Bar M ...

i approached Stan with the idea, and he had other irons in the fire .... when you can't buy it. you make it .... 

First I had to buy a Bridgeport Milling machine and learn how to use it .... just kidding, I already have a mill and I have  a background in machining.  So I went about making baseplates

I now have two 'Frankenstein' razors ... Titamium handles, Titanium Base Plates, and and ATT top cap (Which I polished)

Here's one of them - I don't have pics of the other yet

[Image: 001_C_zpspcheyc9a.jpg]

[Image: 003_B_zps0ch6uvjr.jpg]

3 204
 05-09-2017, 02:38 PM
User Info
That is great ! I have a bit of experience with milling machines, but not enough to attempt anything like that. I've been trying to talk Timeless into making a compromise base plate between .68 and .95. Something like .80 or so. They say they have a few things in the planning stage but haven't decided what their next new innovation will be. Just hoping they will take my advice, as it is a relatively easy project to add to the inventory.

7 237
 05-09-2017, 02:42 PM
User Info
I have a DC Wolfman and although both sides feel the same (so I just use it like a regular razor), I like to think if I ever have a fair few days of growth then I could use the OC side for taking it down.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

2 107
 05-09-2017, 02:51 PM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 02:38 PM)JimmyH Wrote: That is great ! I have a bit of experience with milling machines, but not enough to attempt anything like that. I've been trying to talk Timeless into making a compromise base plate between .68 and .95. Something like .80 or so. They say they have a few things in the planning stage but haven't decided what their next new innovation will be. Just hoping they will take my advice, as it is a relatively easy project to add to the inventory.
Thank you Jimmy 
So - I just took a couple more photos
[Image: Razors%20001_zpsuxf2zgnk.jpg]

The 'extra' plate is one I made from stainless.  The ones in the razors are Grade 5 Titanium

[Image: Razors%20002_zpsau68iylr.jpg]

The 'bamboo' handle began life as a titanium kubotan that I got on eBay .... I cut it down some and then drilled and threaded one end.  I like it. 

If you look, I changed the angles some and made a larger area that is beveled to grip the blade.  I also angled the slot on the safety bar side to about 30 degrees.  Hope you like it

3 204
 05-09-2017, 03:20 PM
User Info
Those are really cool Eagle, love the handle aswell. Is that a stork Aristocrat also?

2 107
 05-09-2017, 03:24 PM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 05:42 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I have two dual comb razors, and I use them the same way I use any of my other razors.  I shave with one side until it's filled up with lather, then flip it over and shave until the other side is filled.  Then rinse and repeat.  

Of the two dual comb razors I own, neither one of them seems particularly more efficient or more aggressive on the open comb side, so I just pretend like both sides are the same.  It works for me.  

What Ron is saying in his post makes perfect sense, and may well be what the manufacturers had in mind when they made dual comb razors, but the sticking point for me has been that the two sides don't seem to shave any differently.

This is exactly how I use mine. I don't really see a difference, minimal maybe. And seeing as I am a three past shaver this will ensure the blades don't get more worn on one side.

7 568
 05-09-2017, 03:28 PM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 03:20 PM)barber bear Wrote: Those are really cool Eagle, love the handle aswell. Is that a stork Aristocrat also?

Yes - good eye ... I have found that 'to each his own' is never more true than with razors.  

I started with an ATT on a Colossus handle.  At first I thought I liked the heavy weight of the razor - then I started going lighter and lighter.  I have the ATT Calypso in an R plate.  

I got interested in Titanium ... I've wanted a Wolfman Ti head ... but I don't think that'll ever happen.  I would really like any Wolfman ... but I wont pay scalper prices.  I sent the email to try the Guerrilla - maybe I can get one of those.

3 204