08-21-2012, 10:23 PM
User Info
(08-21-2012, 01:09 PM)gijames Wrote: great pics Andrew,

You have some serious coarse hair... definitely give yourself some prep time to soften them up...

Do you use a few drops of shave oil? I know for me, a slicker oil goes a long way!

don't I know it! Tongue

usually I use either the pre-shave oil that Teiste made a video on (castor oil, olive oil and EO) or use proraso pre-shave cream or noxema deep cleansing cream plus moisturizers, but it just so happens that I didn't use any pre-shave oil/cream for the shave in my OP.

I don't think it would of mattered much since my problems are probably most attributed to poor technique since I don't shave all that often. I'm lucky if I shave more than 3-4X a month.

(08-21-2012, 06:05 PM)Shanman Wrote: Brother, if you can hang with injectors and SE's, one of the three variables was awry. My guess is either bad/dropped blade or lather. Ouch!

what's the 3 variables?

I thought my lather was rather nice. for my next shave, I shall take before any prep, with lather on my face, then immediately following the shave.

(08-21-2012, 08:06 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: My neck always looks the way yours does in these pictures. I'm not sure if I'll ever have an okay neck shave.

it really shouldn't if we're shaving with good technique.

40 5,829
 08-21-2012, 11:05 PM
User Info
Grant,

Have you mapped the beard growth on your neck? That was a biggy for me.

(08-21-2012, 08:06 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: My neck always looks the way yours does in these pictures. I'm not sure if I'll ever have an okay neck shave.

11 1,236
 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
You might try Leisure Guy's tip on using multiple razors during you shave. I have a Feather AS-1 in my collection and love it. It is a great razor for very sensitive areas. There are complaints that it is "too mild", but my feeing is that you will get a DFS no matter what, and if you have a very sensitive area (mine is neck and around my mouth) this is a razor that will not take you skin off with the beard. It is the only razor I have that I can get the beard around my mouth without cutting myself. I highly recommend the razor to you.

19 574
 08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
User Info
Give your equipment a rest, gentlemen. Let the skin recover -over a weekend, I guess- use something else -if you have it- and follow the excellent advice in this thread.

The whole idea of this madness of ours is to avoid the stubbly hamburger look. Technique sometimes need a refresher course, and experiment with new soap or creams may find you something special that works.

Good luck, guys!

0 554
 08-23-2012, 05:37 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
3 variables- blade, lather, angle.

146 1,990
 08-24-2012, 03:33 AM
User Info
(08-23-2012, 12:43 PM)matloffm Wrote: You might try Leisure Guy's tip on using multiple razors during you shave. I have a Feather AS-1 in my collection and love it. It is a great razor for very sensitive areas. There are complaints that it is "too mild", but my feeing is that you will get a DFS no matter what, and if you have a very sensitive area (mine is neck and around my mouth) this is a razor that will not take you skin off with the beard. It is the only razor I have that I can get the beard around my mouth without cutting myself. I highly recommend the razor to you.

I'm honestly too lazy to be trying multiple razors for a shave considering I have enough trouble with 1 razor.

(08-23-2012, 01:01 PM)Michael G Wrote: Give your equipment a rest, gentlemen. Let the skin recover -over a weekend, I guess- use something else -if you have it- and follow the excellent advice in this thread.

The whole idea of this madness of ours is to avoid the stubbly hamburger look. Technique sometimes need a refresher course, and experiment with new soap or creams may find you something special that works.

Good luck, guys!

I'm going to give my face a 2 or 3 weeks rest. Tongue

(08-23-2012, 05:37 PM)Shanman Wrote: 3 variables- blade, lather, angle.

got it, thanks!

40 5,829