05-11-2017, 03:42 PM
User Info
I had a puck of Madam Moon '1920's Barbershop' scent in a goat's milk soap.

I'd like to find a cream in a similar scent, but the term 'barbershop' is quite subjective.  So I'm trying to develop a list of creams that are advertised as  'Barbershop' scent .... do you know of one or two?

Thanks

0 61
 05-11-2017, 04:16 PM
User Info
Are you only looking for creams, or will you also consider soaps?  Mike's Natural Soaps, Shannon's Soaps, Wet Shaving Products and Mystic Water all make excellent Barbershop scent soap.

41 4,646
 05-11-2017, 04:53 PM
User Info
I really think I get a better and easier lather from creams.  

Thanks

0 61
 05-11-2017, 05:26 PM
User Info
I certainly agree with the easier part, but the quality of the lather from a soap should be at least comparable to that from a cream.  However, it's fine to prefer creams, and many guys do.  Finding creams labeled as having a Barbershop scent could be a challenge.  I'm not aware of any, but I primarily use soaps and am not up to date on what's available in creams.

41 4,646
 05-11-2017, 05:37 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
Unfortunately, TOBS discontinued their "Shaving Shop" scent which was their best scent by far (IMO), and a rightful bearer of its name.

Still, if we consider Blenheim Bouquet a barbershop scent (and we should, it's basically citrus and musk with a BEAUTIFUL evergreen note (pine, IIRC)), then we still have a WONDERFUL scent and performer in a cream. (And I should mention, it is even much better in scent and performance than the TOBS Shaving Shop, above.)

55 2,374
 05-11-2017, 05:52 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Al's Shaving Products - Goodfellas Shaving Cream.

38 4,893
 05-11-2017, 06:41 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
There are very few creams that are actually labeled "barbershop"....

The only one I can think of is Pinaud's Clubman "barbershop" shaving cream.

But there are many classic creams that are considered barbershop scents, whilst not having "barbershop" printed on the label.

To name just a few...

Floris #89
Alvarez Gomez
Musgo Real

149 1,221
 05-11-2017, 10:00 PM
User Info
Your challenge is that there is no accepted definition or consensus as to what is a Barbersop scent.  Even products labeled as Barbershop can be quite different on the scent spectrum.  If you then include products not labeled Barbershop but which some users may feel represent what a Barbershop scent is supposed to be, you are getting into even more subjective territory.  It's all quite interesting.  For example, Ron suggests above that Musgo Real is a Barbershop scent.  I like Musgo Real, but until Ron suggested it I never thought of it as a Barbershop scent.  Now he has me thinking and I'm not even sure what I think a Barbershop scent is.

41 4,646
 05-12-2017, 01:29 AM
User Info
(05-11-2017, 10:00 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Your challenge is that there is no accepted definition or consensus as to what is a Barbersop scent.  Even products labeled as Barbershop can be quite different on the scent spectrum.  If you then include products not labeled Barbershop but which some users may feel represent what a Barbershop scent is supposed to be, you are getting into even more subjective territory.  It's all quite interesting.  For example, Ron suggests above that Musgo Real is a Barbershop scent.  I like Musgo Real, but until Ron suggested it I never thought of it as a Barbershop scent.  Now he has me thinking and I'm not even sure what I think a Barbershop scent is.

That truly is the problem.  The definition  of what constitutes a Barbershop scent is not at all uniform.  But I do appreciate the replies.

0 61
 05-12-2017, 02:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-11-2017, 05:37 PM)Nero Wrote: Unfortunately, TOBS discontinued their "Shaving Shop" scent which was their best scent by far (IMO), and a rightful bearer of its name.

Still, if we consider Blenheim Bouquet a barbershop scent (and we should, it's basically citrus and musk with a BEAUTIFUL evergreen note (pine, IIRC)), then we still have a WONDERFUL scent and performer in a cream. (And I should mention, it is even much better in scent and performance than the TOBS Shaving Shop, above.)
I agree with Nero and in my constant search for Shaving Shopby TOBS i found Italian Barber has it in tubes. Ordered one and was disappointed. Not like the tub at all. But I'd say try Musgo Real,  very barbershop scent....to me anyways

7 2,206
 05-12-2017, 04:06 AM
User Info
If you find yourself thinking of straying from creams, I encourage you to try our SELECT American Barbershop. A very popular classic Barbershop scented shaving soap that is extremely easy to create a beautiful thick, creamy slick lather from.

3 870
 05-12-2017, 06:55 AM
User Info
(05-12-2017, 04:06 AM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote: If you find yourself thinking of straying from creams, I encourage you to try our SELECT American Barbershop. A very popular classic Barbershop scented shaving soap that is extremely easy to create a beautiful thick, creamy slick lather from.

Signs011 CRSW Select American Barbershop is indeed a superb soap in scent and performance, and does lather quickly and effortlessly

41 4,646
 05-12-2017, 08:13 AM
User Info
(05-11-2017, 05:37 PM)Nero Wrote: Still, if we consider Blenheim Bouquet a barbershop scent (and we should, it's basically citrus and musk with a BEAUTIFUL evergreen note (pine, IIRC)), then we still have a WONDERFUL scent and performer in a cream.
Yes, plus a touch of lavender and pepper. Notes are seamlessly blended creating a wonderful unique fragrance (created in 1902!). Agreed, in regard to performance, too. I really think it’s one of the best creams on the market today.

0 361
 05-12-2017, 08:23 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-12-2017, 08:13 AM)ask4Edge Wrote:  I really think it’s one of the best creams on the market today.

Yes she is.

55 2,374
 05-12-2017, 10:13 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Floris 89 as mentioned, maybe Truefitt and Hill Grafton which I always considered an English barbershop scent.

Cheers, Steve

7 448
 05-12-2017, 12:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(05-11-2017, 10:00 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Your challenge is that there is no accepted definition or consensus as to what is a Barbersop scent.  Even products labeled as Barbershop can be quite different on the scent spectrum.  If you then include products not labeled Barbershop but which some users may feel represent what a Barbershop scent is supposed to be, you are getting into even more subjective territory.  It's all quite interesting.  For example, Ron suggests above that Musgo Real is a Barbershop scent.  I like Musgo Real, but until Ron suggested it I never thought of it as a Barbershop scent.  Now he has me thinking and I'm not even sure what I think a Barbershop scent is.

My barbershop experience is strictly NYC. I was born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens, NY. Still here after all these years. Never had a haircut anywhere else. The only scent I associate with 'barbershop' is Pinaud Clubman. With a little bit of leather and stale smoke thrown in for good measure. But nowadays they don't allow smoking in public businesses, so today's generation will never know that distinctive scent. Too bad for them.

3 1,715
 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM
User Info
A lot of great options for me to explore - thanks TSN folks!

0 61
 05-12-2017, 07:09 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I absolutely agree with the gents saying Floris 89 cream. Can't believe I didn't think of it. Excellent scent. For me it is even better performance than Blenheim Bouquet, both are definite keepers. I don't use either of them nearly as often as I should.

55 2,374
 05-13-2017, 03:38 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
A big thumbs up for Floris 89, although the barber shop it evokes  is one for aristocratic gentlemen at or next to the Diogenes Club.

7 2,206
 05-13-2017, 07:29 AM
  • Quando
  • Wo Fürsten Stehen
User Info
I love Proraso, because it smells like that really cool salon in Milan.  Il salone di Milano.  Or, rather, that salon smelt of Proraso.  And, whichever other products they were using.

0 327