05-13-2017, 01:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
WSP have recently released a new shaving cream : Barbershop.I love its scent.Should write about it soon.Slicker than slick.

88 7,214
 05-14-2017, 04:54 AM
User Info
Pinaud Clubman was the proverbial barbershop scent for me also. Though as I have explored other 'barbershops' I like Pinaud less. As for creams, I have the Omega Eucalyptus shaving cream which has a barbershop distinction to it. Very inexpensive and easy to lather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 05-17-2017, 05:28 PM
User Info
suggest you might consider penhaligon's sartorial shaving cream.

1 34
 05-18-2017, 08:55 AM
User Info
One suggestion is Nivea Shave Cream

0 87
 05-18-2017, 11:18 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-17-2017, 05:28 PM)razorshines Wrote: suggest you might consider penhaligon's sartorial shaving cream.

I find Bayolea a bit more "barbershoppy" myself.

7 2,298
 05-18-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
I recently tried the crown shaving co shaving cream and aftershave splash. The cream has an licorice smell to it but when paired with the splash it has a very musky/barbershop scent imo

0 3
 07-11-2017, 06:17 PM
User Info
For an Italian Barbershop scent Proraso Green seems to fit the bill. Vito's makes a version of this as well, and of course you can always head crown to Bath and Body Works and pick up some C.O. Bigelow re-branded Proraso...not sure if they still do their buy 2 get one free sales. When I was in Spain, I went to two different barbers who used Lea cream.

If you open your search to croaps Cella, Vito's, Valobra, Boellis, and Antica Barbieria Colla all produce excellent almond scented soaps which are considered classic Italian Barbershop scents (ABC is the only one of that group I don't have experience with...Boellis is my favorite of those I have tried, but is also a pricey place to start if you're not sure you like croap or that scent profile).

1 23
 07-11-2017, 07:23 PM
User Info
There's only two creams that come to mind when I hear 'barbershop', that's Musgo classic scent and possibly Sartorial from Pen's

18 59
 07-11-2017, 07:53 PM
User Info
(07-11-2017, 07:23 PM)Username taken Wrote: There's only two creams that come to mind when I hear 'barbershop', that's Musgo classic scent and possibly Sartorial from Pen's

Have you smelled Pen's English Fern? The heavy soap makes it, to my nose, much more barbershop than Sartorial (or closer to what we would typically think of an American Barbershop scent).

1 23
 07-12-2017, 03:32 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Sartorial scent is based off a tailor shop, quite different from a barbershop.

59 2,662
 07-13-2017, 04:26 AM
User Info
(07-11-2017, 07:53 PM)Squidma Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 07:23 PM)Username taken Wrote: There's only two creams that come to mind when I hear 'barbershop', that's Musgo classic scent and possibly Sartorial from Pen's

Have you smelled Pen's English Fern?  The heavy soap makes it, to my nose, much more barbershop than Sartorial (or closer to what we would typically think of an American Barbershop scent).

Yes I tried English Fern a few years ago and didn't care for it at all.  I say possibly Sartorial because it's kind of in that realm, honestly peoples ideas of barbershop scent varies so widely.  I often see soaps with citrus scents referred to as barbershop scents but I never got any citrus ever from my experiences as a kid so I don't even understand that comparison. Ymmv

Wholly Kaw's Man from Mayfair (soap) is their take on barbershop and when I use it I get a big resemblance to Sartorial which comes in a cream so I mentioned it here.

18 59
 07-13-2017, 05:03 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(07-11-2017, 07:23 PM)Username taken Wrote: There's only two creams that come to mind when I hear 'barbershop', that's Musgo classic scent and possibly Sartorial from Pen's

Have you smelled Pen's English Fern?  The heavy soap makes it, to my nose, much more barbershop than Sartorial (or closer to what we would typically think of an American Barbershop scent).

I love how subjective and ymmv this "hobby" is. I have English Fern in the old tallow version and I don't get barbershop at all from it, unless it's the barbershop at Buckingham Palace.
But I've never smelled the newer soap so maybe I'm wrong now.

7 2,298
 07-13-2017, 01:43 PM
User Info
(07-13-2017, 05:03 AM)Mouser Wrote:

I love how subjective and ymmv this "hobby" is. I have English Fern in the old tallow version and I don't get barbershop at all from it, unless it's the barbershop at Buckingham Palace.
But I've never smelled the newer soap so maybe I'm wrong now.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I do believe the OP left this open pretty wide in terms of interpretation. YMMV indeed. In the States it seems that we (or at least I) lean towards one of two scents when drawing "Barbershop" to mind:

What I consider fougere and spicy fougere type scents (think Pinaud Clubman and Penhaligon's Racquets Formula vs. Mike's Barbershop soap and YSL Rive Gauche) and bay rum.

I still see Clubman talc around at barbershops in my area and one shop does bay rum after they shape up your neck; don't see the Pinaud bottles sitting on Barbershop counters anymore, for some reason.

As Username Taken suggests, Sartorial is indeed a fougere and shares many of the scent notes as EF, and it makes sense to me that he labels it a barbershop scent. EF has a heavy soap note to it and that freshness, which makes me think of Barbasol and Colgate canned goo or Williams Mug Soap, is what makes me put it in the category...more so than Sartorial, which is a bit more refined with the bees wax notes that it adds.

Head to Europe, on the other hand, and they'd never associate these scents with a barbershop. From what I'm told Proraso green and Cella (and its almond scented bretheren) pretty much nail the barbershop soap scents there while Proraso Green and Floid Blue are the ASL standards. Head to Spain and all of a sudden Floid Amber is the barbershop scent king. a common thread is the powder in the Floid line, which we also see in American barbershop scents, particularly Clubman.

Perhaps some world travelers or residents can chime in on what some of the other Eurozone folks consider a traditional barbershop scent if it is unique to those already mentioned.

1 23
 07-13-2017, 02:49 PM
User Info
My idea of a barbershop scent is very broad as I never went to a barbershop, so I have to guess based on my imagination.

The ultimate barbershop to me contains fougere notes and lavender and to me the best two are:

Designer/affordable yet AMAZING: YSL Rive Gauche
Niche/very expensive yet FANTASTIC: MDCI Invasion Barbare

But I own dozens and dozens of great barbershop frags, also some that goes in different directions.

I get the slight barbershop from Sartorial, also from Bayolea and Douro.
But they are not real barbershops to my nose.

24 5,917
 07-13-2017, 05:14 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
While, technically, a soft soap, The Artisan Soap Shop Cooling Waters Shaving Soap has a very old fashioned scent.  So, too, does Derby Normal.

1 589
 07-13-2017, 11:40 PM
User Info
If you can get hold of it, the old formulation of Erasmic (metal tube, made in Jordan) cream epitomises barbershop for me.

0 835
 07-14-2017, 04:31 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
My barbershop experiences, or the early most influential ones, come from USAF base barbershops. A lot of different places,  all the same. Now if there was some way I  could find out who had the military contracts for those items in the 1960s........

7 2,298
 07-20-2017, 02:55 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
Wow, now this might be more power of suggestion rather than fidelity of memory because as I reached for and opened my tube of Musgo Real for the first time in a while I was thinking of this thread but it took me back to the barbershop on Randolph AFB.

7 2,298
 07-20-2017, 03:33 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Triumph & Disaster shave cream - barbershop explains the scent.  Today, everyone has fruits, woodsy, or springtime in the scents.  No one advertises the scent of the poorly ventilated 3 chair shops with comic books for the kids and Field & Stream for the men (plus possibly the Jack Daniels in the back room).

4 360
 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Veleiro Shaving Cream has a very masculine, old fashioned scent.

1 589