08-20-2012, 04:55 AM
User Info
Hi everyone -

Since I seem to be the only person (even across continents!) who can make a decent go with Musgo Real shave soap, I figure I should share my method. I was finally able to sneak a camera into the bathroom (wife was asleep) and take some photos.

(1) I had put the MR soap into a mug (I got that from Classic Shaving; its nice and sturdy). With hot water, I soak the soap and my brush on top (the lovely Vie Long BSG2012 butterscotch sivertip badger) while I go about other business (i.e. teethbrushing, showering, etc. - you don't get photos of those activities!)

[attachment=5182]

(2) After the "other business" I then fill the sink with hot water, and let the brush soak there too.

[attachment=5183]

(3) I give the brush a really good squeeze and dump out the water from the mug (incidentally this is my fail-proof method for MWF).

[attachment=5184]

(4) I swirl for about 20-30 seconds, building the "proto-lather."

[attachment=5185]

(5) Face lather for a little bit, using the "load/hydrate" method, i.e. dipping the tips in water to build the lather. This is after the first face-lather.

[attachment=5186]

(6) After the second...

[attachment=5187]

(7) ...and after the third. As you can see, it still has plenty of soap left for more passes, but I only do two or three passes.

[attachment=5188]

I've been shaving with this soap for about a week now, and I still stand by my first impressions of this soap; its a decently performing soap, with decent cushioning (I think the talc aids in that most of all) and weaker moisturizing properties, especially in comparison with the cream. Its moderately priced (I got mine for $12 from Shave a Buck) and definitely has the MR classic/vetiver scent. I would recommend this soap to someone like me, i.e. someone who loves the scent of MR but does not like using creams, especially one in a tube.

Thanks,
Josh

72 1,407
 08-20-2012, 08:23 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Nice tutorial,Josh!
It seems you truly can make decent lather out of that soap and I bet from every triple milled soap too!
How is the VL silvertip performing for you?Is it as good as you expected to be?

86 7,123
 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
I use the same technique with Harris and MWF and get consistently great results. Maybe I don't really need to soak the puck but I end up getting a good lather after about 10-15 seconds so it saves me a little time.

The VL is incredible. Soft tips with solid backbone. Nice dense face-feel like a Chubby 2 without losing the lather in the forest. Other than having to get the "new brush" funk out, it's been everything I've hoped for and more. And that's not even talking about the handle, which is nice and heavy and very easy to grab, even with wet, soapy hands.

72 1,407
 08-20-2012, 09:18 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-20-2012, 09:05 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I use the same technique with Harris and MWF and get consistently great results. Maybe I don't really need to soak the puck but I end up getting a good lather after about 10-15 seconds so it saves me a little time.

The VL is incredible. Soft tips with solid backbone. Nice dense face-feel like a Chubby 2 without losing the lather in the forest. Other than having to get the "new brush" funk out, it's been everything I've hoped for and more. And that's not even talking about the handle, which is nice and heavy and very easy to grab, even with wet, soapy hands.

Yes,once you learn how to use triple milled soaps,you know the "little tricks" you need to apply once in a while with some of those soaps.

So the Vie Long silvertip is finally what I told you it was gonna be...interesting.BiggrinBiggrin

86 7,123
 08-20-2012, 10:27 AM
User Info
(08-20-2012, 09:18 AM)Teiste Wrote: So the Vie Long silvertip is finally what I told you it was gonna be...interesting.BiggrinBiggrin

Heh, I hastened to say whether it "exceeded expectations" because, after getting your advice, its exactly as I expected. Its just that the expectations were so high!

72 1,407
 08-20-2012, 11:27 AM
User Info
I was somewhat skeptical of all the MR soap reivews I have seen. I liked the MR cream and was hopeful the soap would be as good as your review indicated. Thank you for posting the pictures. Now I will place an order.

6 230
 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM
User Info
Don't get me wrong - its not as great as the cream. I put the soap on the level of a soap like Provence Sante. Decently priced, decent performance.

72 1,407
 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-20-2012, 02:46 PM)jpakstis Wrote: Don't get me wrong - its not as great as the cream. I put the soap on the level of a soap like Provence Sante. Decently priced, decent performance.

Oh boy,if this soap could have been like the old Musgo Real stick,then we would have nothing less than a GREAT shaving soap...Undecided

86 7,123
 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
Yeah that seems to be the problem; a missed opportunity.

72 1,407
 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for sharing your tips! I like the MR cream, but with so many other soaps to choose from, I don't think I'll be adding any to my rotation...

91 17,851
 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
User Info
Josh, thanks for the tutorial. It's good to see you figured a way to get it to work as others, it seems, are cursing their purchase of this soap.

0 241
 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
Josh, thanks for the info.

75 20,883
 08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
User Info
I bought some of the MR soap after reading this thread. This morning I gave it a try and found it was easy enough to lather. Scent is nice (very close the the MR AS), lather quality was good, though not as good as soaps that include lanolin. I would not hesitate to recommend the MR soap. Josh, thanks again for taking the time to put this tread together with pictures.

6 230
 08-25-2012, 03:45 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-25-2012, 03:42 PM)Bowlturner Wrote: I bought some of the MR soap after reading this thread. This morning I gave it a try and found it was easy enough to lather. Scent is nice (very close the the MR AS), lather quality was good, though not as good as soaps that include tallow. I would not hesitate to recommend the MR soap. Josh, thanks again for taking the time to put this tread together with pictures.

It seems that the soap its like the cream : use more product,less water and add it in drops,and there you go.

Too sad it doesnt contains lanolin like the cream does.Oh well,the creams are good enough.

86 7,123
 08-25-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
I'm sure all of those who are disappointed in the Musgo soap probably followed similar lathering procedures and got the same result as those who're happy with it. It's just a matter of individual differences in perception and expectation. Some like what they got, others don't. Being happy with what we have is the only thing that matters. Musgo soap isn't the only soap that receives bad reviews from some and glowing reviews from others. I don't care for it as a shaving soap, but will enjoy using it in the shower.

I know a young lady who told me the first time she was invited as a young adult to a family Thanksgiving dinner at someone else's home, she burst out in tears at the table because the dressing or stuffing traditionally served with the Turkey was a horrible disappointment. The problem? It wasn't what she took for granted, but was quite different. She perceived it as terrible because it utterly failed to meet her expectation of her own grandmother's old family recipe.

24 1,151
 08-25-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
Josh, i forgot to say, nice brush! i have the natural horse-hair. i love the handle and colour!

75 20,883
 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM
User Info
I know that different people smell different things and all that. But this MR shaving soap's scent doesn't come close to the cream's or the AS's: it smells just like the bath soap of the same brand.

0 29
 08-26-2012, 04:58 AM
User Info
Right, the MR soap scent is nothing like the cream. I detect a note of spiceyness in the MR AS and I think the soap has a very subdued hint of that same spice, which makes it more like the MR AS, or balm.

It is all a matter of preference, as mentioned above. I like MdC, Tabac, and strong Vetiver scents, but many do not. I will enjoy lathering with the MR soap. Others have been emphatic that they are dissappointed with MR soap.

All of us who were MR cream fans expected, hoped, the soap would be more like the cream. I am among those who are dissappointed. But, the new MR soap can make a good lather and enable a decent shave.

6 230
 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
User Info
It's a sad state of affairs when you have to have an expert lather-maker like Josh give tips to other experienced traditional wet-shavers on how to make good lather from this soap. . . This soap is a dud gentlemen. Don't waste your time. There are too many other wonderful soaps to enjoy.

15 75
 08-27-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-27-2012, 09:30 AM)sfcablecar Wrote: It's a sad state of affairs when you have to have an expert lather-maker like Josh give tips to other experienced traditional wet-shavers on how to make good lather from this soap. . . This soap is a dud gentlemen. Don't waste your time. There are too many other wonderful soaps to enjoy.

I havent tried the soap ,my good friend , but I remember considering the Geo F Trumper Eucris as a dud one , until I did slightly changed something that I was doing wrong ,and there you go , got mountains of slick,dense lather out of it.

To be honest , I dont think that Im gonna get this soap : I like the creams a lot,and if this one doesnt smell like the shaving cream , then I ll go for the cream instead.

86 7,123