05-13-2017, 09:41 PM
User Info
This has probably come up in numerous threads already, but I am really impressed with the inexpensive Omega 10005 with the Beech wood handle. For a couple of years I have been using only the two badger brushes that I have, both totaling a couple of hundred dollars, and I have become exclusively a face latherer. I had a couple of Omega boar hairs, but I got rid of them.  So recently I picked up an Omega for $15 CAD to have for travelling. After a week of regular use and some test latherings, it seems pretty well broken in, and the funky smell is gone. What a fantastic brush for face lathering! I would be hard pressed to justify spending $200 on badger brushes if I had to do it over again. Of course, I will continue to use the badgers, but the Omega will always remind me that money isn't everything.

0 55
 05-13-2017, 11:33 PM
  • Laird
  • British Columbia, Canada
User Info
I've never owned a badger brush but have several boars and a couple of synthetics. I also have an Omega 10005 and it's no worse a brush than my Semogue 610 or SOC.  It has rarely if ever shed a bristle and it seemed to be softer and more ready to go when new as compared to the Semogues which took longer to break in (especially the SOC).  The Omega 10005 stays stiffer and doesn't splay as much.  It's a great brush and I've often considered getting a couple more and transplanting the knots into a couple of vintage Rubberset handles that I have if they are close to the same size.

0 183
 05-14-2017, 04:22 AM
User Info
Not familiar with that model but I do enjoy boar.

2 121
 05-14-2017, 05:35 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have used more than 50 shaving brushes over the years, including the best of the best badger brushes. I must admit that the Omega 10005, for which I paid $18 at a local shop, still enjoys a place in my collection. I still contend that it isn't quite as nice as some of the Rooney, Simpsons, Thäter, Wiborg and M&F brushes that have gone through my shave den over the years. However, for the price, it absolutely can't be beaten. Considering I could buy 20 of them for the price of one really high end brush, I would find it hard to casually recommend anything else to someone starting out in the hobby. It really is an amazingly good brush, and I still use mine regularly.

22 814
 05-14-2017, 05:44 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Also, I've used other boar brushes, and for my preferences, nobody makes a better boar knot than Omega. I purchased a 10049 (slightly larger but equally inexpensive) and had the knot transplanted into a custom M7 style handle, and I consider that one of my top 5% brushes.

22 814
 05-14-2017, 05:52 AM
  • Quando
  • Wo Fürsten Stehen
User Info
Is this the same one they make for Proraso?   I love that brush.

0 325