05-14-2017, 10:56 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: Wfn1Ws6.jpg]

Another shaving soap made by Wet Shaving Products for Asylum ShaveWorks , and if you are a Penhaligons English Fern scent lover , then you have a soap  you're going to like.

This soap is a tallow based one and come in the aluminum tin jars with 4 oz of soap inside.The tin jars have their pros and cons.The pros are that easy to storage , lightweight and compact if you travel with them.Cons that are small if you use brushes with knots over 25 mm (loading lather could be a tiny little bit messy) and could dent if you drop them on the floor.For me are just fine and I havent had any problems with any of them.

[Image: rGvKh8N.jpg]

As I pointed out , the formula of this soap , is based on the WSP Formula T : Tallow with Shea Butter and quality oils.Simple formulation but very efficient.

For the lather shot I have used a Plisson L'Occitane synthetic brush that have seen a lot of used since 2013.Here , after 12 seconds loading the brush with the soap :

[Image: vy3jG5A.jpg]

And after a minute making lather on the palm of my hand , and no water added , here is the lather I obtain :

[Image: ZmgiV9P.jpg]

The lather is slick , but not as slick as the new WSP shaving creams.However , its protection is top notch ass well as its cushion.Again , nothing new on this department.If you already have used another Asylum ShaveWoks soap or WSP Formula T , then you know how this one will perform.If you havent , then , I can tell you that this would perform like many of the quality artisan shaving soaps that we can find these days.

But the "super duper" strong point of this soap is the scent.It was tough to surpass the scent of the Neroli and Pepper (for spring and summer) but the choice of this scent , that resembles Penhaligons English Fern is another great option.While the scent is quite close to the English Fern , there are some fresh notes that makes this soap perfect for the summer time that is coming.Its a mixture of fresh herbal notes and some spicy notes that are impossible to stop smelling one you open the lid of the soap.And like the other Asylum ShaveWorks soaps , the scent lingers on during the shave and after it.It really does.Its not a overpowering scent , but its there.You can really notice it.And I like that.

For 19 dollars , a great tallow based soap with a timeless scent.

86 7,205
 05-14-2017, 11:16 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review Teiste.  I'm familiar with the tallow soap base of these soaps and agree that it's top notch.  I haven't tried this particular scent yet, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

41 4,646
 05-14-2017, 12:35 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
It's good stuff for sure. I've done one shave with mine and it performs very well indeed. The scent to me is closer to Trumper's Wild Fern than Penhaligon's English fern, the soap's scent is a little drier and less sweet than EF, just like WF. Both are wonderful scents. The soap is a winner.

Cheers, Steve

7 448
 05-14-2017, 04:19 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
I 100% no doubt sense both fragrances... I get the spiciness and green brightness of English Fern, plus the "herbal garden" qualities of Wild Fern. Needless to say, it's a knockout scent. I can't think of a reason not to love it. I have to keep myself from continuously going for sniffs, so that I don't eventually tire of it. 12/10 for scent.

55 2,374
 05-14-2017, 05:04 PM
User Info
I should have mine tomorrow.  I am very curious to try it given the comparisons to other fern scents -- which I am a complete newbie to.

13 857
 05-14-2017, 06:04 PM
User Info
I'm trying to go through my Asylum Frankincense & Myrrh before going for the Royal Fougere.  Due to all the great reviews, I don't know if I'll hold out.

41 4,646
 05-15-2017, 06:04 PM
User Info
Mine arrived today along with the Vetiver Bourbon.  The scents from both are very intriguing.  Can't wait to use the Royal Fougere tomorrow.

13 857
 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM
User Info
I ordered Royal Fougere and Old Virginia yesterday.  I'll get them this week and will be able to use them while I have the Paradigm on tour.

41 4,646