06-16-2017, 04:39 PM
User Info
I can always count on TSN for great reviews. Well done Teiste.

61 1,582
 06-29-2017, 04:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Before I write another word I have to say up front that scented soaps generally aren't my bag. Probably 4 of 6 shaves every week, or more, are unscented. Our collective nose in the chazt household prefers lightly scented to unscented products, pretty much across the board.

I'm scent deficient. Bankrupt if you will. I guess I just never learned to appreciate "better/finer" quality scented products. Kind of weird since I've grown to really enjoy and appreciate fine dining and more upscale wines.

But back to soap... to date there've only been two scented soaps I can say, "I love this scent" about. Cue the laugh track; P-Red and B&M Oceana. I've bought many tubs and tubes, jars of balm and even an AS splash of P-Red but only one tub of the B&M so far. I also have MWF and a half dozen other B&M scents. None of which really knock my socks off scent wise (although I do like Diamond). This, along with a handful of other inconsequential products is essentially the extent of my experience with scented shave soaps. Honestly, I do unscented.

I had my first shave with this ASW soap today. In retrospect I had a preconceived notion that Royal Fougere would smell "earthier." This was a lighter than anticipated scent. Mintier, almost. Tbh, my initial reaction was, "oh, it just smells like soap." That's not a bad thing. Just an observation. The other reaction I had was that something there triggered a vague memory of a paste-like hand cleaner we used when I was a vacuum repair tech in another life...

I've read that this is a long overdue tribute to other, much loved shave soaps. Without a personal frame of reference I can't comment on that and will take that observation as right on, knowing the assembled sources.

After only an initial shave I can't say I'm in love with Royal Fougere, but I will definitely look forward to revisiting it periodically as I do all my other scented soaps.

Next up, OUD-Santal.

Edit: got some positive feedback from mrs chazt who reported liking "something" about the Royal Fougere shave..

7 2,288
 07-12-2017, 07:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
The subtle fabulousness of Royal Fougere is growing on me. The quality of the soap itself is on par with my other faves. It lathers easily and makes a lot of lather with a relatively light load. The lather holds a lot of water and has good staying power. It feels slick snd protective, rinses well and has good post shave. A quality soap.

The scent is subtly fabulous. It's clean and fresh. Not overpowering as so many scented soaps seem to be. I'm liking it. My better half seems to be in favor as well, which is a huge plus too. I'm quite tempted to order a backup. Maybe a little push here, some enabling there...

7 2,288
 07-12-2017, 08:09 PM
User Info
(07-12-2017, 07:50 PM)chazt Wrote: The scent is subtly fabulous. It's clean and fresh. Not overpowering as so many scented soaps seem to be. I'm liking it. My better half seems to be in favor as well, which is a huge plus too. I'm quite tempted to order a backup. Maybe a little push here, some enabling there...

Could order it in the cream and then you'll have a backup and new software.

9 3,037
 07-12-2017, 08:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-12-2017, 08:09 PM)WetShavingProducts Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 07:50 PM)chazt Wrote: The scent is subtly fabulous. It's clean and fresh. Not overpowering as so many scented soaps seem to be. I'm liking it. My better half seems to be in favor as well, which is a huge plus too. I'm quite tempted to order a backup. Maybe a little push here, some enabling there...

Biggrin  Indeed.

46 18,489
 07-13-2017, 05:14 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Wow! This is great news. I have, thanks to my cousins generousity, a small bit of original Pen's tallow English Fern. I'm extremely reluctant to use it because once it's gone then what? But I may have an answer now to "and then what?"
By the way, I still don't see any shaving creams by WSP on their site that I've seen referenced a few times now. Help, please?

7 2,351
 07-13-2017, 05:40 AM
User Info
(07-13-2017, 05:14 AM)Mouser Wrote: Wow! This is great news. I have, thanks to my cousins generousity, a small bit of original Pen's tallow English Fern. I'm extremely reluctant to use it because once it's gone then what? But I may have an answer now to "and then what?"
By the way, I still don't see any shaving creams by WSP on their site that I've seen referenced a few times now. Help, please?

According to WSP's July News, the shaving creams will be released "soon."

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=49475

The Asylum Royal Fougere shaving cream, which is made by WSP, is already available from BullGoose.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=49593

50 6,277
 07-13-2017, 06:48 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(07-12-2017, 08:12 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 08:09 PM)WetShavingProducts Wrote:

Biggrin  Indeed.

Y'see? This is the kind of enabling I'm talking about. Well done, Gents. Keep it coming!

7 2,288
 07-29-2017, 11:58 AM
User Info
I really like Fougere's. I'm definitely picking this up one of these days.

11 1,168
 07-29-2017, 12:13 PM
User Info
(07-29-2017, 11:58 AM)1Geralt Wrote: I really like Fougere's. I'm definitely picking this up one of these days.

Jay, if you like Fougeres you will probably love the Asylum Royal Fougere soap.

50 6,277
 07-29-2017, 12:19 PM
User Info
(07-29-2017, 12:13 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(07-29-2017, 11:58 AM)1Geralt Wrote: I really like Fougere's. I'm definitely picking this up one of these days.

Jay, if you like Fougeres you will probably love the Asylum Royal Fougere soap.

Thank you Ricardo, yes I do. I'm definitely getting this one, perhaps even the whole set. The scent profile sounds very intriguing.

11 1,168
 07-29-2017, 04:40 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Very pleased with this soap.

48 682