05-15-2017, 07:24 PM
User Info
Hello gents, I'm looking for some input and recommendations on pre-shave products. I currently use Edwin Jagers hydrating pre-shave lotion. While I really like it and are not looking to replace it I think I'd like to try something different. I have sensitive skin (proraso green turned my neck red) and don't really care for oils. To be fair the only oil I've really tried was AOS and it was far too thick and very difficult to wash off my hands. Thanks in advance for your input.

7 116
 05-15-2017, 09:06 PM
User Info
Have you thought about a butter? I am not sure what type of skin you have but I also would like to know what you typically find gives you the best shaves when it comes to creams or soaps? If I use preshave, it is because of my skin being dry and/or I am using a less super fatted soap. Example being I wouldn't use preshave if I am going to shave with Mikes, Mystic Water or Barrister and Mann.

79 1,338
 05-16-2017, 02:10 AM
User Info
Hey Michael, I'm in the same boat with sensitive skin. Prorasso white and red (sensitive and sandlewood) are both easier than green. Though white contains menthol and gives that distinct feel. I've also appreciated the performance of Taylor of Old Bond St Jermyn St collection pre shave. It's a gel with a manly scent that disappears under the scent of your soap. Performance is adequate, no complaints.

But just last night I tried the Martin de Candre pre/ post shave balm before I lathered. It's basically coconut and chamomile oils with a lemon scent. Very hydrating, slick and easy to clean up. Impressive for the first time using it.

$. 02
Good luck with the search.

21 124
 05-16-2017, 05:12 AM
User Info
The Jack Black conditioning lube is really good, but bit pricey. :-/ i like it tons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 05-16-2017, 05:25 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Consider the pre shave products from Esbjerg and Meissner Tremonia. Both excellent, all natural and made for sensitive skin.

I also do not like oils. Some of the pre shave soaps are great alternatives, like those from Meissner Tremonia. Esbjerg has pre shave gels rather than oils which are very nice. There is also an excellent all natural pre shave gel available from Baume.be

168 1,385
 05-16-2017, 05:31 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Although I don't need to use a pre-shave, if I did it'd be Noxzema.  My father used Noxzema as a pre-shave and aftershave, and as a treatment for sunburn, all his life and swore by it.  He called it his "miracle cream".

7 909
 05-16-2017, 06:57 AM
User Info
I like Myrsol Emulsion as a pre-shave and use it every day.  Not oily and I like the way it works with my shaving cream.

0 173
 05-16-2017, 08:19 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Forgot to add.....any post shave balm can be used pre shave. If you have a post shave balm you like....try it pre shave.

168 1,385
 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM
User Info
(05-16-2017, 02:10 AM)Jackson Wrote: Hey Michael, I'm in the same boat with sensitive skin. Prorasso white and red (sensitive and sandlewood) are both easier than green. Though white contains menthol and gives that distinct feel. I've also appreciated the performance of Taylor of Old Bond St Jermyn St collection pre shave. It's a gel with a manly scent that disappears under the scent of your soap. Performance is adequate, no complaints.

But just last night I tried the Martin de Candre pre/ post shave balm before I lathered. It's basically coconut and chamomile oils with a lemon scent. Very hydrating, slick and easy to clean up. Impressive for the first time using it.

$. 02
Good luck with the search.

Thanks for the input.

7 116
 05-16-2017, 10:39 AM
User Info
(05-16-2017, 06:57 AM)Red One Wrote: I like Myrsol Emulsion as a pre-shave and use it every day.  Not oily and I like the way it works with my shaving cream.

I'll add it to the list.. thanks.

7 116
 05-16-2017, 10:40 AM
User Info
(05-16-2017, 05:25 AM)Steelman Wrote: Consider the pre shave products from Esbjerg and Meissner Tremonia. Both excellent, all natural and made for sensitive skin.

I also do not like oils. Some of the pre shave soaps are great alternatives, like those from Meissner Tremonia. Esbjerg has pre shave gels rather than oils which are very nice.  There is also an excellent all natural pre shave gel available from Baume.be

I will be sure to look into those... Thanks!

7 116
 05-17-2017, 06:33 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried Trumpers skin food as a preshave?

7 116
 05-18-2017, 02:58 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Would like to recommend Castle Forbes Pre Shave. It's water soluble and won't damage your brush. Great product!

10 423
 05-19-2017, 08:30 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I swear by Proraso Green Label Pre-Shave

1 589
 05-22-2017, 07:27 AM
User Info
Proraso Green is one I have enjoyed over the years. Castle Forbes Pre Shave is my favorite to use with any of the CF creams and aftershaves. I get one of the best shaves using those three together. 

2 62
 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM
User Info
The requirement actually depends on your skin type. Manufacturers will make all kinds of products to keep businesses running, end users need to decide whats works best for them. 

If you have a dry skin and live in a colder area, you may need a pre shave product. If not, a good 1-2 min rinse with a facial foam does the job for most of the users. You may still try Meissner Tremonia pre shave soaps, they are good and come in different scents.

1 800
 05-22-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
***Update****

So I went with the Myrsol Emulsion as a pre/post shave since it can pull double duty. I use it as a preshave when I have more than 1 days growth, otherwise I use the little extra surface water I use to warm the soap, poured into my hands and applied by hand. if the shave felt aggressive (I am trying some new razors and blades) I can use it to sooth after the Floids has dried. So far all in all, I couldn't be happier.

7 116