05-16-2017, 08:42 PM
User Info
Hi,
    I'm still relatively new to this style of shaving. I've got some questions I was hoping some of you might be able to answer. 

1) How do I tell which direction the "grain" of my beard is running?
2) I have an alum block. I'm assuming that I apply this thing pre-wetted over my beard area immediately after I'm done shaving... correct?
3) I have some witch hazel. I'm guessing I should apply this next and should come AFTER the alum block treatment.... correct?
4) What exactly does the alum block do?
5) What exactly does the witch hazel do?

Thanks for any help...

0 43
 05-16-2017, 10:25 PM
User Info
I'm sure that every wetshaver has his (or her) own set of answer for those, although most of them will be variations on the same themes.

1 - Simply lightly run your fingertip across your face in different directions. Going one way it'll catch as if on velcro - that is your ATG
2 - I wet my down and run it across my neck and lower face after shaving to check for minor nicks - if I got a visible nick (ie: I bleed) I just wet it and press against the nick... it stings a bit Tongue
3 - Witch hazel is currently not in my rotation. When it was I used it as an aftershave.
4 - Alum is a blood coagulant, which means it works as a astringent, and also have antiperspirant and antibacterial properties. So it cleans the skin, seals any minor nicks, and lets you know what areas of your shaves that can be improved...
5 - Witch hazel is also an astringent, and is often claimed to help tone and tighten the skin. It also allegedly helps prevent facial sweating; however I have no real experience with that since I usually don't sweat in that area much

3 4,059
 05-17-2017, 01:36 AM
User Info
(05-16-2017, 08:42 PM)punchy Wrote: Hi,
    I'm still relatively new to this style of shaving. I've got some questions I was hoping some of you might be able to answer. 

1) How do I tell which direction the "grain" of my beard is running?
2) I have an alum block. I'm assuming that I apply this thing pre-wetted over my beard area immediately after I'm done shaving... correct?
3) I have some witch hazel. I'm guessing I should apply this next and should come AFTER the alum block treatment.... correct?
4) What exactly does the alum block do?
5) What exactly does the witch hazel do?

Thanks for any help...

As for #1 - if you are anything like me ... if you miss a couple days of shaving you can actually see which direction you hairs grow.  Mine seem to be .... below the jaw-line is roughly the angle from the center of under my chin towards the outside bottom of my neck.  Above the jaw-line is from center-line of my face toward the rear of my jawbone.  

Some folks shave 'North to South' on their face, but for me that is neither with the grain, nor against the grain and it is not 90 degrees across the gain either.

0 44
 05-17-2017, 07:01 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I rinse thoroughly with cold water then use witch hazel as a post shave splash. If/When necessary I'll then use my alum block. I find that after rinsing the alum off, 1 more splash of witch hazel is again refreshing and it leaves my skin soft and supple. None of this may be necessary but I do it anyway 'cause it's fun Biggrin

2 1,706
 05-21-2017, 05:35 PM
User Info
Hmmm.  I've been wet shaving for several years but have never used either alum or witch hazel.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I figure that if I need skin treatment after my shave, I must be doing (or using) something wrong when I shave.

0 44