05-17-2017, 03:25 AM
User Info
It's the 17th of May again, so happy Norwegian Constitutiuon Day y'all

For those less familiar with the day and celebration, it basically started as us giving the collective finger to the Swedes... all though those days are past and we today celebrate being free, independent, and above all being Norwegian.

One thing that is often commented on by people from the Continent is the non-military nature of it - unlike some nations I can mention where the big thing is military parades.. There is children's parades in all major and minor cities and towns (and villages, and pretty much where ever there is more than two houses...), featuring marching bands (or, failing that, taped music). In some parts of Norway there is a tradition for a Citizen Parade as well, and there is usually a family gathering in the afternoon. National costumes and flags all over the place, naturally.

And for fun, have a video of His Norwegian Majesty the King's Guard doing a bit of close formation drill ahead of the main parade in Oslo.

3 4,510
 05-17-2017, 03:40 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
It's too the celebration day of Santa Restituta, patron of my birth town Lacco Ameno and holy protector of the little island Ischia.

0 1,140
 05-17-2017, 04:49 AM
User Info
Well then, Happy May 17th to you gents!

Have a very enjoyable holiday!

What looks to be M1 Garand rifles as the parade rifles too. The design is a bit dated but a very nice battle rifle IMO.

32 6,460
 05-17-2017, 05:23 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
I've had the pleasure of touring Norway fairly well.  I got a very last minute call to fill in with a Nashville based band.  I went up to meet them and played for a couple of hours.  I was then given the set list and a stack of cds and returned home.  6 days later we start the tour in beautiful Bergen.  Other stops in Trondheim, Tromso, Oslo, Stavanger and Halden before moving on to Sweden and Denmark rounded out my rock and roll outing.

Norway is quite possibly the most beautiful and picturesque place I've ever encountered.  You should be quite proud!

11 684
 05-17-2017, 05:24 AM
User Info
Enjoy your holiday Hans.  Although the celebration is not centered on the military,  your Constitution and freedom are only possible because of that military and persons like you.

50 6,106
 05-17-2017, 06:03 AM
User Info
Happy Norwegian Constitution Day!

17 1,429
 05-17-2017, 09:29 AM
  • rur
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
(05-17-2017, 03:25 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: It's the 17th of May again, so happy Norwegian Constitutiuon Day y'all

For those less familiar with the day and celebration, it basically started as us giving the collective finger to the Swedes... all though those days are past and we today celebrate being free, independent, and above all being Norwegian.

One thing that is often commented on by people from the Continent is the non-military nature of it - unlike some nations I can mention where the big thing is military parades.. There is children's parades in all major and minor cities and towns (and villages, and pretty much where ever there is more than two houses...), featuring marching bands (or, failing that, taped music). In some parts of Norway there is a tradition for a Citizen Parade as well, and there is usually a family gathering in the afternoon. National costumes and flags all over the place, naturally.

And for fun, have a video of His Norwegian Majesty the King's Guard doing a bit of close formation drill ahead of the main parade in Oslo.

0 4
 05-17-2017, 09:30 AM
  • rur
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
(05-17-2017, 03:25 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: It's the 17th of May again, so happy Norwegian Constitutiuon Day y'all

Gratulerer med dagen

0 4
 05-17-2017, 10:14 AM
User Info
(05-17-2017, 04:49 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well then, Happy May 17th to you gents!

Have a very enjoyable holiday!

What looks to be M1 Garand rifles as the parade rifles too. The design is a bit dated but a very nice battle rifle IMO.

The M1 is kept by the drill company (Kp3) since they look better than modern rifles, and more importantly sound better. They are plugged though, and only used for drill.

I'm having a very enjoyable day Gents... shame about the weather though; grey and chilly today.

3 4,510
 05-29-2017, 03:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Belated Norwegian Constitution Day greetings, Hans! It's never too late to acknowledge cultural significance.

7 2,159