05-17-2017, 01:29 PM
User Info
What is everyone's preferred method for cleaning their razor / razor heads. SE or DE it doesn't matter. What are the most common cleaning methods. Barbicide, hot soapy water or something different. Having just bought 2 gently used razors to add to my collection I would like varied insight, both razors in this example or ATT stainless.....

7 114
 05-17-2017, 01:40 PM
User Info
I just clean mine with hot water and soap after I use them.

43 5,506
 05-17-2017, 01:48 PM
User Info
I remove the blade, rinse everything in hot tap water, set the parts of the razor on a folded paper towel and come back after awhile and dry it off and assemble it. For TTO one piece razors basically the same. For old ebay, or wherever grungy razors usually scrubbing bubbles, toothbrush, hot water, mineral oil for TTO.

6 187
 05-17-2017, 01:48 PM
User Info
I just rinse the razor with hot water and periodically wash it with soapy water and a soft tooth brush.  I also periodically take off blade wax residue with orange cleaner.

73 4,207
 05-17-2017, 03:07 PM
User Info
Barbicide soak when I first get a used razor.

26 753
 05-17-2017, 03:57 PM
User Info
(05-17-2017, 01:48 PM)JimmyH Wrote: I remove the blade, rinse everything in hot tap water, set the parts of the razor on a folded paper towel and come back after awhile and dry it off and assemble it. For TTO one piece razors basically the same. For old ebay, or wherever grungy razors usually scrubbing bubbles, toothbrush, hot water, mineral oil for TTO.

I do the same at the end of the week with my daily use. For the new to me razor I like the hot soapy water and toothbrush idea.

7 114
 05-17-2017, 03:58 PM
User Info
(05-17-2017, 03:07 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Barbicide soak when I first get a used razor.

Good point... thanks!

7 114
 05-17-2017, 04:24 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
From the Blackbird website 
Clean your razor occasionally with a mild soap and soft cloth. We do not recommend scrubbing the razor with a coarse towel or bristled brush as it may damage the polished and black oxide finishes.

4 260
 05-17-2017, 04:50 PM
User Info
(05-17-2017, 04:24 PM)SCOV Wrote: From the Blackbird website 
Clean your razor occasionally with a mild soap and soft cloth. We do not recommend scrubbing the razor with a coarse towel or bristled brush as it may damage the polished and black oxide finishes.

Thanks

7 114
 05-17-2017, 05:14 PM
User Info
Scrubbing Bubbles. 

Not the one with bleach!

I buy the aerosol cans with a green cap. Foamy stuff.

I put my razor in an old coffee cup or lather bowl. Spray the foam on it. When the foam melts I fill the cup with hot water. Depending on how dirty or grimy it is I'll either rinse well and wipe dry or let soak a little while. Anything that's got a plated finish, is vintage, or isn't stainless steel I rinse quickly and treat gently. Stainless steel stuff that can use it gets a little scrub with an old toothbrush I keep for just such an occasion. 

Once in a while I'll use Simichrome or Flitz but if I do I repeat a quick round with Scrubbing Bubbles to remove any film the polish leaves behind. I don't polish most stuff once it's been done or unless it's really been a long while because it's messy and takes a while. Also ruins a rag. 

I have hard water so I usually have the Scrubbing Bubbles around anyway. It works well and usually doesn't require much elbow grease.

7 1,279
 05-17-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
(05-17-2017, 05:14 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Scrubbing Bubbles. 

Not the one with bleach!

I buy the aerosol cans with a green cap. Foamy stuff.

I put my razor in an old coffee cup or lather bowl. Spray the foam on it. When the foam melts I fill the cup with hot water. Depending on how dirty or grimy it is I'll either rinse well and wipe dry or let soak a little while. Anything that's got a plated finish, is vintage, or isn't stainless steel I rinse quickly and treat gently. Stainless steel stuff that can use it gets a little scrub with an old toothbrush I keep for just such an occasion. 

Once in a while I'll use Simichrome or Flitz but if I do I repeat a quick round with Scrubbing Bubbles to remove any film the polish leaves behind. I don't polish most stuff once it's been done or unless it's really been a long while because it's messy and takes a while. Also ruins a rag. 

I have hard water so I usually have the Scrubbing Bubbles around anyway. It works well and usually doesn't require much elbow grease.

Thanks for the tip... I'm in Florida and the water is really hard. Scrubbing bubbles, green cap, sounds good. I also have semichrome for the shiny plated ones. Both the new ones are stainless though. Even though they both look clean and well maintained I'll still do an initial cleaning but on going maintenance is always a good plan.

7 114
 05-18-2017, 03:38 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
A soft, old toothbrush under running water. Once a week or so a rub down with a jewelry cloth.

7 2,250
 05-18-2017, 07:11 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I have heard of people putting their razors in the dish washer

6 263
 05-18-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
(05-18-2017, 07:11 AM)JRRIII Wrote: I have heard of people putting their razors in the dish washer

Interesting... don't think I would try that but to each his own.

7 114
 05-20-2017, 07:19 AM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Once-a-week, on Saturday, actually, I clean my entire shaving kit.  I clean, only, those which I used during that past week, not everything I own.  I actually used quite a bit of kit, this week, so I have more than usual, clean.  Which, is fine.  

I use an extra toothbrush, set aside for this purpose.  I simply use whichever hand, &, face soap I happen to be using that week.   

This is, for safety razors.  For straight razors, I use a different method.  Basically, I just use some alcohol to clean the blade.  I still use the toothbrush to clan the saddles, though.

1 515
 05-20-2017, 07:20 AM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(05-18-2017, 03:38 AM)Mouser Wrote: A soft, old toothbrush under running water. Once a week or so a rub down with a jewelry cloth.

PLUS ONE. 

I would like to try the jewelry cloth

1 515
 05-23-2017, 08:03 AM
User Info
For a new razor its just a little dish soap in warm/hot water and towel dry. I take my razors apart daily after my shave and wipe them down and flip the blade for the next shave with it. I know its probably a little much, but its what works for me though!!

0 34
 05-23-2017, 11:51 AM
User Info
I don't use plated razors, so I can afford to be a little more aggressive.  But I'm Not!  

Just hot soapy water and for a used razor, a soak in isopropyl alcohol.

1 151
 05-23-2017, 11:51 AM
User Info
I have a stainless steel ATT.  The top cap has microscopic CNC groves.  They hold the rust from some blade coatings especially Gillette Silver Blue blades.  In addition soap can build up on various surfaces of the razor.  So, when I see a build  up of the blade coating rust or soap residue at the time I change blades I do the following.  I soak the three pieces of my razor in a solution of distilled white vinegar and hot water in an 8oz bowl.  I then take a a stiff brush and and brush off all of the rust if any and well as soap residue.  Many times I just use the brush under running water and it makes the pieces look like new.

[Image: QMM6U2A.jpg]

0 235
 05-23-2017, 02:41 PM
User Info
Any different for a plastic and nickel DE Schick Krona?

0 595