05-23-2017, 05:09 PM
User Info
I use Isopropyl alcohol and an old, soft tooth brush.  I clean my razors every Saturday morning.  (just the ones I used the previous week)  I haven't tried any other method, but the ones noted would seem to be working well.

Sometimes I clean them more often.  I'm a wee bit obsessive, I guess.  I have no idea what I'm accomplishing by this, but I like doing it.  And, sometimes there's grunge on the blade or in the razor, so I feel like I've achieved something.

1 415
 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(05-17-2017, 01:48 PM)TexBilly Wrote: I just rinse the razor with hot water and periodically wash it with soapy water and a soft tooth brush.  I also periodically take off blade wax residue with orange cleaner.

That is a good tip, about the orange cleaner.  

(05-23-2017, 05:09 PM)David Wrote: I use Isopropyl alcohol and an old, soft tooth brush.  I clean my razors every Saturday morning.  (just the ones I used the previous week)  I haven't tried any other method, but the ones noted would seem to be working well.

Sometimes I clean them more often.  I'm a wee bit obsessive, I guess.  I have no idea what I'm accomplishing by this, but I like doing it.  And, sometimes there's grunge on the blade or in the razor, so I feel like I've achieved something.

Are you sure that alcohol is the best thing, for metal?

Anyway, I know what it is you are accomplishing, by cleaning your razors, each Saturday.  You are achieving a clean shaving kit.  You want the razor as clean as possible, even the non blade part, because it touches your face.  Also, cleaning something every week builds character.  It builds patience, and, develops a sense of duty, reliability, regularity, etc.  Plus, it is good to have some time, each week, in quiet, with something you enjoy. This is good for your heart, like wearing a loose fitting shirt, as opposed to a tight one.  People with such hobbies live longer lives, with less stress.

1 589
 05-31-2017, 02:32 PM
User Info
I would not use white vinegar on anything metal or anywhere in the bathroom. It can easily etch metal and stone.

1 58
 06-04-2017, 10:14 AM
User Info
(05-31-2017, 02:32 PM)Postman10mm Wrote: I would not use white vinegar on anything metal or anywhere in the bathroom. It can easily etch metal and stone.

White distilled vinegar can be used to clean the white crud of shower heads, run through coffee makers, run through washing machines, remove discoloring on stainless steel pots and pans and clean shaving brushes.  I have been doing all of these things for years, many years and never once has it caused any damage to anything.  And in addition, you can put it on a salad and eat it.  Anything that you can consume does not do damage to the items I just described.

0 253
 06-04-2017, 11:43 AM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
After each shave, I gently use a C.O. Bigelow apothecaries 'medium natural boar bristle' tooth brush that I picked up at one of the shave shops here in L.A. to (easily and gently) clear away any soap residue that might have been pushed into any crevasses of the razor and then dry the razor thoroughly.  I have used this method on all of my DE's and SE's, in stainless satin finishes, razors with plated finishes and razors with polished finishes and it creates absolutely no aesthetic damage or blemishes on the finishes whatsoever.  I have not used this on 'black oxide' finishes (as in some Blackbirds) because, well I don't like black oxide finishes personally...lol and so I don't own any Wink , but the other finishes I've mentioned... no problems at all.  

Cheers!

129 320
 07-24-2017, 11:54 PM
User Info
I mostly clean my razors with hot soapy water by hand, then dry them with a towel or leave them to dry.
Regularly, I use an ultrasonic cleaner to remove all the accumulated soap in the hard to reach areas.
They come out as clean as new.

0 50
 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM
User Info
AB soap, hot water and nylon brush. Then rinse and scrub again with scrubbing bubbles. Rinse and run through 5 minutes or more on ultrasonic cleaner. Lastly, soak overnight with barbacide.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

0 84
 09-03-2017, 11:15 PM
User Info
On a newly acquired razor, I would soak it in barbicde.
For my razors, I will use an ultrasonic cleaner with specific cleaning liquid (the same used for jewelry) every little while.
Razors come out as clean as new.

0 50
 09-04-2017, 03:03 AM
User Info
Do not use vinegar in hot bath style, it will ruin your razor. You can use white winegar in cold water for general cleaning.

If I buy a second hand razor,
I boil water in a pot, put 2 spoons of baking soda, 1/2 spoon of malic acid and leave my razor in that mixture for 3-5 minutes. All calcified gunk goes. After that I brush with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Lastly you can dip it in a isoprophyl alcahol if you want but no need.
You can do this method once a year to get rid of all dirty hard to reach areas you wanted to clean.
It really shines and cleans the razor deeply.
Best regards.

0 132
 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM
User Info
(09-04-2017, 03:03 AM)dikdik_s Wrote: I boil water in a pot, put 2 spoons of baking soda, 1/2 spoon of malic acid and leave my razor in that mixture for 3-5 minutes. All calcified gunk goes.

I didn't realize malic acid could be used as a cleaner on metal! I know it's used in some beauty products as an exfoliator, so I never made this connection. No issues with metal corrosion? Or is it only safe on stainless steel?

7 75
 10-18-2017, 08:45 PM
User Info
I used scrubbing bubbles for a long time and found it messed up the gold on my razor. I still use it on the razor head but just soap on the handle.

6 776
 10-18-2017, 08:57 PM
User Info
For myself a good rinse when I'm done, then quick bath in alcohol with the top cap loosened. I then take out of alcohol, blow through the side to clear the alcohol, and a quick dry with a microfiber towel. All my razors are as good as new!

7 330
 10-19-2017, 03:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I rinse my razor under hot running water after each shave, and like TexBilly clean whatever I rotated through that week with hot soapy water and a soft toothbrush. Then a quick buff and shine with an old, clean and soft bandana.

Once in a while I give my razors an alcohol bath. Haven't used scrubbing bubbles since it caused the painted knob of a Red Tip to soften and smudge (it was a refin).

7 2,291
 10-31-2017, 01:00 PM
User Info
Every time I change the blade I'll run it under water and scrub it with a tooth brush and soap if needed.  If I get a new used one I'll do scrubbing bubbles and wash with soap and water then whitening toothpaste then a dip in alcohol.

0 14
 10-31-2017, 04:25 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
When I spot a bit of rust (from blades) on one of my razors, I pull out a toothbrush, dab a bit of Colgate toothpaste on it, and scrub. If it’s good enough for my teeth, I figure it’s good enough for my razor.

6 373
 10-31-2017, 04:27 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(10-31-2017, 01:00 PM)HouseofChains Wrote: Every time I change the blade I'll run it under water and scrub it with a tooth brush and soap if needed.  If I get a new used one I'll do scrubbing bubbles and wash with soap and water then whitening toothpaste then a dip in alcohol.

+1 for stainless
any razor plated/anodized/polished/etc gets a soft towel in place of tooth brush
copper or brass with patina gets q-tip and extra gentle care.  Wax every few months.

4 418
 10-31-2017, 04:29 PM
User Info
(10-31-2017, 04:27 PM)SCOV Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 01:00 PM)HouseofChains Wrote: Every time I change the blade I'll run it under water and scrub it with a tooth brush and soap if needed.  If I get a new used one I'll do scrubbing bubbles and wash with soap and water then whitening toothpaste then a dip in alcohol.

+1 for stainless
any razor plated/anodized/polished/etc gets a soft towel in place of tooth brush
copper or brass with patina gets q-tip and extra gentle care.  Wax every few months.

What kind of wax do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 14
 11-12-2017, 06:37 AM
User Info
I usually wipe down all of my razors after each use so they’re never all that dirty, but every few shaves I will use some Oster barber disenfecting spray and let it sit for about 10 minutes before I rinse and wipe dry.

4 46