08-20-2012, 10:27 AM
User Info
After shaving my neck always has razor bumps and all I do is two pass shave WTG and xTG with my hair growth I never do ATG so any sugesstions would be great I do the same beard prep every day and sometimes my neck burns during my Pass

12 568
 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
User Info
YMMV off course, but:

- More time spent on your prep might pay off - some people recommend hot towels to avoid shave bumps. If you get shave burn my initial reaction is that your stubble isn't wet enough - or your blade angle might be wrong.

- You might even want to consider doing just the WTG pass until you worked out what's going on... if you still get bumps you might want to reconsider your technique and/or choice of razor and blade.

- I have found that bumps causes bumps - let your neck heal completely before shaving again if you can.

- A good aftershave can help reduce some forms of shave bumps - personally I swear to Krampert's Finest; which seals, heals and smells great.

3 3,580
 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
Where can I get some of kramperts finest

12 568
 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
(08-20-2012, 10:51 AM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: Where can I get some of kramperts finest

http://www.krampertsfinest.com/ and/or http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/krfiacspbayr.html

3 3,580
 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM
User Info
What makes it so good and how does it help the skin

12 568
 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM
User Info
As for what makes it so good you should ask Brian - he's a member here and very friendly.

For me it helps reduce irritation, helps heal any minor nicks and most importantly moisturises the skin after the shave.

3 3,580
 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Kramperts is very good along with a good post shave balm. Both help with the healing process and they work very fast.

100 12,445
 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
User Info
All I use is Nivea post balm and Ive used it for months and no improvements maybe my skin is as stubborn as I am

12 568
 08-20-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
(08-20-2012, 01:57 PM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: All I use is Nivea post balm and Ive used it for months and no improvements maybe my skin is as stubborn as I am

I have the same issues as you, Tyler. I'm still looking for a solution as well. I can get a a near BBS shave on my face, but my neck is always a nightmare. I've tried the cold water shaves, hot shaves, pre-shave oils, etc., but am still looking. I'm going to give face lathering a shot for a while to see if that helps.

1 168
 08-20-2012, 02:26 PM
User Info
Let me know how it goes in looking for answers as well

12 568
 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM
User Info
Tyler, the neck is a very, very sensitive area for most men, myself included. You may have to just do two passes WTG and be satisfied. You could work the pre-shave soap with your hands to massage the area or work it with a cloth to help with the whiskers in the neck. One more thing, if you need help with post-shave treatment for the irritation and bumps, look here:
http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea-butter
Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM
User Info
Typically, ingrowns are caused by cutting the whisker below the surface of the skin. (1) Make sure to use a very light stroke with your razor, (2) be certain you have a good cutting angle and (3) use a good slick shaving soap. This requires practice as do most skill-related activities.

And, as Celestino says, when you have that bad shave, try Unrefined Shea Butter to soothe and heal.

9 1,199
 08-20-2012, 11:34 PM
User Info
Many variables, but in addition to what has been said, I would suggest attention to your lather (not too many air bubbles or too watery).

47 1,270
 08-20-2012, 11:46 PM
User Info
I agree with a careful look at blade angle and such. Does it happen with all combinations you use? Do you stretch the skin some to even out the angle? Could be too much pressure or some such. Maybe I missed it but what is your prep like?

1 55
 08-21-2012, 04:12 AM
User Info
Maybe I should start stretching the skin atleast around the neck area

12 568
 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM
User Info
What I find alleviates razor bumps/burn are:
- using a good after shave balm (I love GFT Skin Food)
- using a blade that is well suited to your face (experiment)
- take your time with your shave, light strokes
- know when to quit - don't do too many passes
- do good pre-shave prep: hot-towel/shower, and maybe even product

0 95
 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
Don't cut it so close and keep your skin moist.

Try one pass against the grain and don't bring it down as close to the skin as you can. Leave it a tad rough so your beard doesn't retract and end up below the skin.

ATG requires a sharp blade and "Do Not pull or force the razor". Just go easy and rinse the razor often.

Using a fresh blade each time will also help. Using a dirty/previously used blade will only make any irritation worse.

I always dry my face with a "Clean Towel" or a paper towel. Don't use the towel you used after your shower.

At this point I clean my face with a cotton ball an some thayers.

Aftershave is super important. Here are three that work in order of best to lesser.

Penhaligons Balm - Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know, "Its expensive". I'm telling you point blank it is way beyond anything from the store and considerably better than the other mail order products. A little goes along way, if you shave everyday than you might use 2 tubes in one year.

Trumpers Unscented Moisturizer works well. Any longer than 20 hours and you may wanna wash your face and reapply. You can also add a bit of skin food in the flavor of your choice.

Pre de Province 100% Shea when used sparingly will keep your skin soft. It may feel a bit swampy when the weather is hot but it works.

ATG cuts the hair at an angle that makes for a situation where the hair is less likely to grow back in.

If you have hairs that are already stuck in your skin you need to stop shaving, "lift them out" but do not remove them if you can help it. Let those spots heal and then begin again.

Good Luck

1 622