05-21-2017, 07:10 PM
User Info
Greetings,
       I'm thinking of extending my shaving creams collection somewhat. As a beginner, I've started out with Proraso shaving cream in a tube and like it quite a bit. However, I'm starting to run kind of low on it, so I thought I might try some other different creams as I continue to learn and experiment in this new-to-me hobby. I prefer 100% all-natural ingredients, but it doesn't have be. So what are some suggestions on some good beginner creams that lather easily and aren't too terribly expensive?
Thank you

0 70
 05-21-2017, 07:23 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I think you will have a difficult time finding creams that are 'all natural' because they contain a higher percentage of water and need to have preservatives and things to keep the cream from separating.

That said, I Coloniali Rhubarb cream, one of the very best, is 50% off at SRD, $9.50 a tube. You cannot go wrong here.

If you can afford the initial 'hit' a tub of Castle Forbes from shaving.ie is about $32 for 200ml (plus shipping from Ireland which isn't bad) and it's close to a year's worth of soap and one of the very best creams.

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 05-21-2017, 09:24 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Proraso  was one of my first creams also.  Good stuff.  I bought the big tube that felt like an eternity to finish.  Like you, I wanted to try other creams

Most of the English creams are very good - Bullgoose has good selection: Taylor of Bond Street (TOBS), Castle Forbes (CF), Geo.F. Trumpet (GFT), D.R.Harris, Kent
My current favorite is Fitjar Islands
I did like Triumph and Disaster for performance, old time barber shop scent
Bigelow and Spick are good values -I liked both

Several factors including ingredients, performance, scent, strength of scent, etc.  Try for some sample sizes or sample packs

4 296
 05-21-2017, 09:33 PM
User Info
A really good one, is from the BodyShop, it's called Maca Root Shave Cream! Some people don't like the scent. Search the forum, I think there are few threads discussing it. Higher up in price, you might want to take a look at St James Of London Shaving Creams. I enjoy both.

0 17
 05-22-2017, 07:41 AM
  • Kostas
  • SW suburb of Chicago
User Info
Coate's & Cyril R. Salters are 2 of my favorites.  The Coate's has been discontinued for years, but someone has a stock of tubes at pretty low prices.

Truefitt and Hill...a staple in any stable...some of the best scents out there and matching ASBs/Colognes too.

Musgo Real & Ach Brito also have a few scents that got a lot of positive reviews a couple years ago.

5 54
 05-22-2017, 07:51 AM
User Info
T&H
Speick
Nivea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 345
 05-22-2017, 07:52 AM
User Info
(05-21-2017, 07:23 PM)Steve56 Wrote: I think you will have a difficult time finding creams that are 'all natural' because they contain a higher percentage of water and need to have preservatives and things to keep the cream from separating.

That said, I Coloniali Rhubarb cream, one of the very best, is 50% off at SRD, $9.50 a tube. You cannot go wrong here.

If you can afford the initial 'hit' a tub of Castle Forbes from shaving.ie is about $32 for 200ml (plus shipping from Ireland which isn't bad) and it's close to a year's worth of soap and one of the very best creams.

Cheers, Steve

Sorry...what's SRD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 345
 05-22-2017, 08:00 AM
User Info
SRD= Straight Razor Design. It is a wet shaving supply store.

As far as creams go, especially if your looking for a more natural route I would HIGHLY recommend Baume. Be
It is made in Belgium. Lathers effortlessly and is very very slick. Nice mild scent and reasonably priced. A tub will last a long time. It is in my top three creams easily.

17 1,297
 05-22-2017, 08:35 AM
User Info
I would only recommend going for the best stuff out there. If you convert the cost/shave with top notch creams vis a vis mediocre or cheaper creams, the costing would be lesser with the former option. Small quantity does the job better here.

Most important thing to note is that one should look for comfort, good post shave feel, irritation free skin from a shave and not focus on the price point(beginner or not). I can understand that you have just gotten into this hobby , but I would urge you not to compromise on your gear, specially creams and blades.

Try going through this thread on creams. It might be able to give you some more worthy suggestions. Good Luck.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=40800

1 702
 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM
User Info
I echo I Coloniali with Rhubarb. Quite forgiving/protective; great for the novice and expert alike.

0 419
 05-22-2017, 10:47 AM
User Info
I the guy on the forum that always recommends Nancy Boy.  Love the signature scent and they have a couple of others.  High quality stuff and works great.  A tub lasts me a long time.

0 167
 05-22-2017, 10:57 AM
User Info
I've started with Trumpers and Dr. Harris creams. Great stuff, I still keep them in my den.

24 696
 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM
User Info
(05-22-2017, 10:47 AM)Red One Wrote: I the guy on the forum that always recommends Nancy Boy.  Love the signature scent and they have a couple of others.  High quality stuff and works great.  A tub lasts me a long time.

Haha, I almost recommend Nancy Boy. The name is polarizing for some, but they're from my city! This is one of the finest creams out there, and it can also be used without a brush.

0 17
 05-22-2017, 05:51 PM
User Info
As a relative beginner myself, I'm trying, testing and sampling many different creams at this point. I just recently had a good score with "Stone Cottage Soaps" in New Jersey. They have a Sample Pack of choose your own 5 scents for $10. Yes the jars are small but I've gotten at least two weeks of shaves from one. Their scents are "different" to be sure, but so far I like 3 or the 4 I've tried. Performance is good too. 

RON

0 163
 05-23-2017, 02:22 AM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Derby Normal is the most shaving cream-scented out of all shaving creams.  I wish they all smelt as such.  That being said, Proraso Shaving Cream (original/green/eucalyptus & menthol) has been in my kit for about twenty years, or, more.  It is now the only one I use.

ETA:  Taylor of Old Bond Street, Edwin Jagger, Truefit & Hill, DR Harris, Geo. F. Trumper, PalmOlive, Ingram, SuperMax, Gillette, La Troja, Tabac, and, Pré de Provence all make shaving creams, which come in tubes.  I prefer tubes, to tubs.

1 560
 05-23-2017, 02:41 AM
User Info
Speick
Musgo Real
Proraso red or green
Real Shaving Company
O Melhor
TOBS
Kiss My face -> This one is rarely mentioned, but has a lovely performance, easy to find in the US and damn inexpensive

2 5,545
 05-23-2017, 07:12 AM
User Info
The first cream that I used when I started wet shaving was TOBS. It's easy to lather and provides plenty of cushion.
I have also used Jack Black's Supreme Cream. It is a "natural" shaving cream and provides a lot of cushion also.

0 43
 05-23-2017, 08:08 AM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
Edwin Jagger and Mühle creams are 99+% natural.
Mühle even has an Organic cream to take it one step further.

56 2,538
 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
User Info
(05-21-2017, 09:33 PM)shaveR41 Wrote: A really good one, is from the BodyShop, it's called Maca Root Shave Cream! Some people don't like the scent. Search the forum, I think there are few threads discussing it. Higher up in price, you might want to take a look at St James Of London Shaving Creams. I enjoy both.

+1 on Body Shop, doesn't get half the praise it deserves.

15 1,018
 05-23-2017, 11:14 AM
User Info
(05-23-2017, 11:06 AM)crazindndude Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 09:33 PM)shaveR41 Wrote: A really good one, is from the BodyShop, it's called Maca Root Shave Cream! Some people don't like the scent. Search the forum, I think there are few threads discussing it. Higher up in price, you might want to take a look at St James Of London Shaving Creams. I enjoy both.

+1 on Body Shop, doesn't get half the praise it deserves.

It was my steady companion all the years I used a cart... I give it a pass these days - despite enjoying the scent - because I got so many lovely artisan soaps to use. Still a great and affordable cream for someone getting in to wetshaving, and easy to get hold of too.

3 4,370