05-21-2017, 07:27 PM
User Info
Greetings, 
        I've been thinking of trying out a few aftershave lotions. I haven't tried out any yet since entering the wet shaving community. I'm not much of an aftershave person in general but thought I might give it a try anyway. I'm especially interested in potions and concotions with 100% all-natural ingredients, but I'm not rigid on that requirement. On the whole, I don't care for scents that over-power me, so something kind of on the mild and light to medium side of things. I'm fine with long-lasting fragrances as long as they smell really good to me. And I'm always hopeful in finding something that has some skin conditioning too as a bonus. I also don't like to spend large sums of money on this stuff either. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

0 75
 05-22-2017, 09:39 AM
User Info
If you like things that are uncomplicated, you might try witch hazel. Thayer's is pretty popular, and they have some scented varieties. I wouldn't have thought that I'd like witch hazel splashes, but my skin seems to like the ones I've tried.

0 1,085
 05-22-2017, 09:47 AM
User Info
I agree with Bryan about trying Witch Hazel.  It's all natural and an excellent astringent.  I've found that the generic ones found at most drug stores work as well as the name brands.

50 6,259
 05-22-2017, 05:39 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Fine makes some good ones, Proraso makes some wallet-friendly tonics, and, balms.  Wholly Kaw makes a great aftershaves.  Try the German made Pitralon Classic, the Austrian Made Alt-Innsbruck, the Swiss made Pitralon original, or, anything from the French Artisan Le Père Lucien.  The Italian house RazoRock is quite popular. 

American houses include Fine Accoutrements, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, Catie's Bubbles (an emotional favourite, look up the story of this company), Soap Smooth, Stirling, Jeeves, and, New York Shaving Company, to name but a few.  

Check out Maggard's Razor website, and, Italian Barber, and, Smallflower.com, and, the like.  They, often, sell samples.

1 589
 05-22-2017, 05:44 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(05-22-2017, 09:47 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I agree with Bryan about trying Witch Hazel.  It's all natural and an excellent astringent.  I've found that the generic ones found at most drug stores work as well as the name brands.

I agree with this, in general, though, I am allergic to Witch Hazel (both the American, and, British/European meaning of this phrase), as generics are, generally, equal to the name-brands.  However, one really should point out that both Thayer's, and, Dickinson's were drug store brands, until the internet made them popular.

1 589
 05-25-2017, 10:03 AM
User Info
Edwin Jagger

0 23
 05-25-2017, 12:55 PM
User Info
Krampert's Finest Bay Rum.

3 4,577
 05-25-2017, 04:16 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I really like Barrister and Mann's Reserve aftershaves - Cool, Classic, and Spice.  They are affordable, have great healing properties, and wonderful scents that I find to be really versatile. Usually if I have a hard to pair soap I can go to one of these and be good.  If you want something a little more woody, I'd recommend Wm. Neumann Heartwood.  It's superb and also has great healing properties.

Cheers,
Eric

48 978
 05-26-2017, 09:55 PM
User Info
Try Speick after shave lotion, all natural, fully biological, certified to be so. Mild, pleasant scent.
Do try their shaving cream, too.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 89
 05-26-2017, 10:17 PM
User Info
Proraso Green is a must have for any collection. Nice and fresh and masculine, but not overpowering. With some nice mild menthol for cooling.

Also, pretty much anything by Myrsol. My favorites are Myrsol Emulsion and Myrsol Formula C. These feel and smell great, they also have mild, smooth menthol.  Highly recommended.

Now that summer's almost here, splashes are really your best beet. Come next autumn we can start talking about balms.

0 383
 05-27-2017, 07:30 AM
User Info
I am a big fan of both Floris "JF" aftershave splash and Floris Santal aftershave balm. I occasionally use Dopobarba di Camaldoli which is a superb summer splash with the scent of freshly laundered cotton and honey dew melon. On the level of easy to find grocery / drug store fare, BRUT is a very nice bargain splash IMO. That pretty much covers the range of the upper bracket carriage trade potions to the obscure and finally the off the rack bargain.

19 775
 05-27-2017, 12:15 PM
User Info
(05-27-2017, 07:30 AM)minimalist Wrote: I am a big fan of both Floris "JF" aftershave splash and Floris Santal aftershave balm. I occasionally use Dopobarba di Camaldoli which is a superb summer splash with the scent of freshly laundered cotton and honey dew melon. On the level of easy to find grocery / drug store fare, BRUT is a very nice bargain splash IMO. That pretty much covers the range of the upper bracket carriage trade potions to the obscure and finally the off the rack bargain.

This has me very intrigued. Do you have any idea where one might acquire Dopobarba di Camaldoli online in the US?  Thanks!

0 383
 05-27-2017, 02:26 PM
User Info
+1 on B&M Reserve aftershave. Fantastic stuff.

2 38
 05-28-2017, 01:53 AM
User Info
(05-27-2017, 12:15 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 07:30 AM)minimalist Wrote: I am a big fan of both Floris "JF" aftershave splash and Floris Santal aftershave balm. I occasionally use Dopobarba di Camaldoli which is a superb summer splash with the scent of freshly laundered cotton and honey dew melon. On the level of easy to find grocery / drug store fare, BRUT is a very nice bargain splash IMO. That pretty much covers the range of the upper bracket carriage trade potions to the obscure and finally the off the rack bargain.

This has me very intrigued. Do you have any idea where one might acquire Dopobarba di Camaldoli online in the US?  Thanks!

Not that I know of. I acquired mine years ago when an online friend ordered a multiple lot from a Euro site and offered me some of his spoils. It is a once in awhile treat to use like I said, a Summer tonic rather than an everyday.

19 775
 05-28-2017, 02:22 AM
User Info
(05-25-2017, 12:55 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Krampert's Finest Bay Rum.

Signs011

6 225
 06-02-2017, 01:29 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Myrsol would be my suggestion, and they have plenty of different scents so I am sure you could find one to suit your sensibilities. They smell great but not over powering, come in a larger than average size glass bottle (180ml I believe) some have a nice subtle bit of menthol, and they leave your face feeling perfect. It's one of my "I'm on an island and can only take one with me" brands of aftershave

8 483
 06-05-2017, 04:25 AM
User Info
As others have said, got with something cheap at first, like Proraso, Pitralon or my favourite, Pinaud Clubman.

0 67
 06-05-2017, 06:09 AM
User Info
Old spice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 06-05-2017, 06:25 AM
User Info
Every shaver should at least try the inexpensive classic after shaves - Clubman, Aqua Velva, Old Spice and Skin Bracer.   Even if you don't use them again,  I see them as part of the journey.

50 6,259
 06-05-2017, 06:28 AM
User Info
(06-05-2017, 06:25 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Every shaver should at least try the inexpensive classic after shaves - Clubman, Aqua Velva, Old Spice and Skin Bracer.   Even if you don't use them again,  I see them as part of the journey.
Absolutely.  I still use Old Spice on occasion and once every blue moon, Brut! Sometimes, Old School is cool.

73 4,305