06-05-2017, 07:51 AM
User Info
(06-05-2017, 06:28 AM)TexBilly Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 06:25 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Every shaver should at least try the inexpensive classic after shaves - Clubman, Aqua Velva, Old Spice and Skin Bracer.   Even if you don't use them again,  I see them as part of the journey.
Absolutely.  I still use Old Spice on occasion and once every blue moon, Brut! Sometimes, Old School is cool.

Well, let me tell you this: even when i have a shelf full of the nice stuff, what i use most its the cheap pharmacy stuff. Brut, aqua velva, pinaud, jerris, etc.... its a trip in memory lane for me and they do the job just right, plus it lets me keep my favorites (like asylums) for special occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 478
 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM
User Info
I agree with trying the classics.  If you have any favorite artisan soap scents, most sell matching splashes.  Fine, Razorock, PAA, Stirling, etc.

1 293
 06-05-2017, 09:22 AM
User Info
(06-05-2017, 07:51 AM)carlospppena Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 06:28 AM)TexBilly Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 06:25 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Every shaver should at least try the inexpensive classic after shaves - Clubman, Aqua Velva, Old Spice and Skin Bracer.   Even if you don't use them again,  I see them as part of the journey.
Absolutely.  I still use Old Spice on occasion and once every blue moon, Brut! Sometimes, Old School is cool.

Well, let me tell you this: even when i have a shelf full of the nice stuff, what i use most its the cheap pharmacy stuff. Brut, aqua velva, pinaud, jerris, etc.... its a trip in memory lane for me and they do the job just right, plus it lets me keep my favorites (like asylums) for special occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I forgot about Brut.  Certainly qualifies as one of the classics.

43 5,477
 06-05-2017, 09:50 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Thayer's witch hazel "aftershave" (small green bottle) is my go-to after nearly every shave.  Unscented and works great with my skin.
But if you want something with more fragrance or "kick", then you can't go wrong with any of the aftershaves from Fine Accouterments.  Inexpensive and pack a well-balanced punch.
For a more refined post-shave, Either Myrsol or Floid will fit your bill.
There are also tons of artisan-made splashes to choose from.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

47 1,892
 06-05-2017, 10:14 AM
User Info
The biggest benefit to using artisan aftershave is really the smells we make. Unless you're one of those guys who love Pinaud, our smells are superior. Secondarily, in general our splashes will make your face feel a bit better, maybe less sting. 

There's not a lot other than fragrance to differentiate one aftershave from another.

9 3,023
 06-07-2017, 10:35 PM
User Info
(06-05-2017, 10:14 AM)WetShavingProducts Wrote: The biggest benefit to using artisan aftershave is really the smells we make. Unless you're one of those guys who love Pinaud...

Well, I guess I'm one of those guys Wink

0 51
 06-08-2017, 05:10 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I don't think you can go wrong with the Aqua Velva line of splashes.  It comes in several flavours: Classic Ice Blue, Musk, Sport.  Be aware though that all but the musk contain a bit of menthol, which I love.  I've been shaving for +50 years and always have Ice Blue on hand.

5 868
 06-08-2017, 06:09 AM
User Info
There is an app for iphones and ipads called CodeCheck.
You can scan the bar codes of products and see the ingredients and have an evaluation of these.

I checked several of my preferred after shaves.

I do love I Coloniali a.s., but quite a few unwanted things come with it Sad

L'Occitane Cade did not impress Sad

Meissner Tremonia, Speick, Annemarie Börlind, Esbjerg were without unwanted stuff.

Simpsons a.s. balm, too. Pretty good stuff, unscented, I just reordered two tubs.

Acqua di Parma did not fare too well. But I like this stuff so much Sad

Penhaligon's was ok.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 71
 06-08-2017, 04:23 PM
User Info
I use fragrances for my scent of the day.
With that said these after shaves have stayed in my collection as main stays:

Myrsol - entire line except Don Miguel 1919 (hate it)
Pitralon - all 4
Floid - All the 3 you can get in the XXL 400 ml bottles
DR Harris - Windsor, Arlington, Sandalwood and Pink water
Proraso - all of them
Speick - both of them

If you want mild go for Thayers witch hazel. I use it after each shave before applying my after shave.

24 5,747
 06-09-2017, 04:29 PM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Anything from Fine, PAA, Catie's Bubbles, Pitralon, Proraso, Taylor of Old Bond Street, and/or Razorock.

1 502
 06-09-2017, 08:00 PM
User Info
(06-08-2017, 04:23 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I use fragrances for my scent of the day.
With that said these after shaves have stayed in my collection as main stays:

Myrsol - entire line except Don Miguel 1919 (hate it)
Pitralon - all 4
Floid - All the 3 you can get in the XXL 400 ml bottles
DR Harris - Windsor, Arlington, Sandalwood and Pink water
Proraso - all of them
Speick - both of them

If you want mild go for Thayers witch hazel. I use it after each shave before applying my after shave.

I also always use a little witch hazel right after the shave, but before the aftershave. DR Harris and Speick are some of the more healing splashes that I own. Also mentioned earlier, Simpsons unscented balm - while expensive, really nice stuff.

19 903
 06-09-2017, 08:01 PM
User Info
You can't go wrong with the classic green proraso

7 114
 06-09-2017, 08:09 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
I've tried a lot of aftershaves and Midnight and Two aftershave stands above everything Ive tried and 2nd place wasn't close, I'll use it as a moisturizer also. Im kinda moving on from their soap, although great and one of the very best Ive used but Nuavia has completely won me over and I now pair it with M&2 aftershave.

1 400