05-26-2017, 05:30 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
In all honestly it'll be better for their business to have stock readily available. I think why so many were left over is because of the knot size and higher prices, if these were 24-26mm knots I doubt this many would've been available the next day, look at how fast the 3 26mm Paladin just sold on the BST today.

2 455
 05-26-2017, 06:01 PM
User Info
(05-25-2017, 08:59 PM)chiefthunder Wrote: First Winston will be on the way soon, the knot on this brush looks perfect and this specific disco rod is sort of trippy:

[Image: JciQ9Iv.jpg]

Jorge, in looking at all the brushes in this release, I thought yours had one of the nicer knots.

50 6,080
 05-26-2017, 06:59 PM
User Info
(05-26-2017, 05:30 PM)iShave Wrote: In all honestly it'll be better for their business to have stock readily available. I think why so many were left over is because of the knot size and higher prices, if these were 24-26mm knots I doubt this many would've been available the next day, look at how fast the 3 26mm Paladin just sold on the BST today.

We agree.

(05-26-2017, 06:01 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(05-25-2017, 08:59 PM)chiefthunder Wrote: First Winston will be on the way soon, the knot on this brush looks perfect and this specific disco rod is sort of trippy:

Jorge, in looking at all the brushes in this release, I thought yours had one of the nicer knots.

It doesn't always show well in the photos, but the fact is virtually all knots associated with the 2CSL* codes (save a handful of outliers we culled to use for testing) have very good conformation. Variances in shape among the semi-bulbs are largely a function of depth of set. These knots were made with relatively long hair, so we ended up setting most of them (especially the 26s) a little higher than usual.

We could futz with the knots more to make them look their best when we take the photos, but we generally don't. When they bloom is when you see their real shape. That's how I'd really like to take the shots.

3 997
 05-26-2017, 07:10 PM
User Info
I'm excited to see so much variety in this last release.

I'm frankly holding out for the size and shape I want. The color of the handle and shape of the knot. I bought a couple last year out of irrational exuberance and while they were absolutely cracking good brushes, I didn't feel content with just "getting one."

I have my mind made up to get a couple different options which I really want. Hopefully everyone does too to an extent and some breathing room will develop. Nothing wrong whatever with an impulse buy either. I really appreciate the heads-up about the ones coming in the flicker album. 

I'm patient. The thought of the genuine satisfaction of getting something a little specific eventually tempers the FoMO that sometimes takes hold of me.

I was late to the game last night and missed what I had my eye on.

9 1,410
 05-27-2017, 08:02 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-26-2017, 05:30 PM)iShave Wrote: In all honestly it'll be better for their business to have stock readily available. I think why so many were left over is because of the knot size and higher prices, if these were 24-26mm knots I doubt this many would've been available the next day, look at how fast the 3 26mm Paladin just sold on the BST today.

Agree. I was going to get one but I'd rather have 26mm or lower. Knots also looked a little different than what I'm used to seeing but maybe that's just me.

59 2,813
 05-27-2017, 08:35 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Ken, I bought this brush 2nd hand and was wondering if you could identify the knot for me. It has amazingly soft tips and for me medium backbone. I love it.
[Image: QkmBIHX.jpg]

11 659
 05-27-2017, 08:43 AM
User Info
(05-27-2017, 08:35 AM)doc47 Wrote: Ken, I bought this brush 2nd hand and was wondering if you could identify the knot for me. It has amazingly soft tips and for me medium backbone. I love it.

Probably could not ID it with high confidence based on the photo, but if you reply by PM with the name of whoever you bought it from, I'll see if I can track it back. Did you trying asking your seller for the knot code or serial number (both of which would be on the owner's card we shipped with the brush)?

K

3 997
 05-27-2017, 08:56 AM
User Info
(05-27-2017, 08:35 AM)doc47 Wrote: Ken, I bought this brush 2nd hand and was wondering if you could identify the knot for me. It has amazingly soft tips and for me medium backbone. I love it.

Dan, that ebony Lotus is a stunner!  Very nice score.

11 973
 05-27-2017, 09:20 AM
User Info

Dan, whatever lot the knot came from, it's very nicely formed.

50 6,080
 05-27-2017, 10:16 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Unfortunately, I bought it from someone who could not even remember the knot size or other dimensions. It's a 26mm with 53mm loft and she is a wonderful brush. Thanks for the praise Ricardo and Surfshaver.

11 659
 05-27-2017, 10:21 AM
User Info
(05-27-2017, 10:16 AM)doc47 Wrote: Unfortunately, I bought it from someone who could not even remember the knot size or other dimensions. It's a 26mm with 53mm loft and she is a wonderful brush. Thanks for the praise Ricardo and Surfshaver.

Where (what state) did the brush come from?

3 997
 05-27-2017, 10:32 AM
User Info
Dan, I have an ebony Lotus with an M knot and it's fantastic. Initially, the brush had some scritch. Within a few shaves, the scritch disappeared and it's now a soft knot with the perfect amount of backbone (for me):

[Image: S0NTmch.jpg]

16 648
 05-27-2017, 11:07 AM
User Info
Off thread I know, but....
The above pic from Chiefthunder on my screen is pixelated on the lower half. I have this issue with 30% of pics on this site. Is it just me???
If so how can I correct this?

Ron

0 189
 05-27-2017, 11:10 AM
User Info
We've only made seven 26 mm Ebony Lotuses. I know for sure where two of them are (including Jorge's), and I'm pretty sure the third is also still with the original buyer. So yours is probably one of the other four. 

My guess is it's the one that sold in our November 6 release and went to Nevada. That brush had a 2CLND3 knot.

3 997
 05-27-2017, 12:16 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
(05-27-2017, 11:10 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: We've only made seven 26 mm Ebony Lotuses. I know for sure where two of them are (including Jorge's), and I'm pretty sure the third is also still with the original buyer. So yours is probably one of the other four. 

My guess is it's the one that sold in our November 6 release and went to Nevada. That brush had a 2CLND3 knot.

The gentleman I purchased it from lives in Illinois. This brush as no scratch at all, it is pillow soft and quite honestly one of the best (for me) knots in my brush collection. Only my Marfin brushes have tips as soft. Thanks for taking the time Ken, it seems I've taken a lot of your time recently and I really appreciate you ever present assistance.

11 659
 05-27-2017, 12:28 PM
User Info
(05-27-2017, 12:16 PM)doc47 Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 11:10 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: We've only made seven 26 mm Ebony Lotuses. I know for sure where two of them are (including Jorge's), and I'm pretty sure the third is also still with the original buyer. So yours is probably one of the other four. 

The gentleman I purchased it from lives in Illinois. This brush as no scratch at all, it is pillow soft and quite honestly one of the best (for me) knots in my brush collection. Only my Marfin brushes have tips as soft. Thanks for taking the time Ken, it seems I've taken a lot of your time recently and I really appreciate you ever present assistance.

If it's that soft, it's probably an "L" knot. Of the four your brush could possibly be, two went to Nevada, one to Southern California, and one (the least likely candidate) to New York as a Christmas present from a wife to her husband. The one in the November 6 release had an L knot with 53 mm loft. And the shape matches. The L knots from our first two orders (November '15 and April/May '16) had the softest hair of any we've offered. Too soft for some, who described it as lacking "presence."

And you're very welcome. We put a lot of time and effort into measuring knots, assigning/recording codes, etc. It's nice to have the subject come up sometimes. And it's fun to see if I can trace back to a particular brush.

3 997
 05-27-2017, 01:29 PM
User Info
My Sherlock has a knot code 2CSNL2 and it's my favorite brush by far. I'm not sure if it's the same as you are talking about Ken.

The "iron fist in a velvet glove" sensation that's so hard to find. 

A combination of backbone and softness. Some brushes get close by increasing density and sacrificing flow through. That kind of takes away from the enjoyment when you go for the second pass and come up empty handed. 

You already did so much of the leg work for us sourcing great knots. So many subtle nuances to consider. Thanks for going the extra mile.

9 1,410
 05-27-2017, 01:41 PM
User Info
(05-27-2017, 01:29 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: My Sherlock has a knot code 2CSNL2 and it's my favorite brush by far. I'm not sure if it's the same as you are talking about Ken.

The "iron fist in a velvet glove" sensation that's so hard to find. 

A combination of backbone and softness. Some brushes get close by increasing density and sacrificing flow through. That kind of takes away from the enjoyment when you go for the second pass and come up empty handed. 

You already did so much of the leg work for us sourcing great knots. So many subtle nuances to consider. Thanks for going the extra mile.

At least for me, the 2CSN knots were a little livelier (present) than the 2CLNs. More scrub, more presensce, not what I'd call "pillow" or "cloud" or "powder puff" soft. My face is so sensitive, though, I'm really not sure my experience serves very well to predict anyone else's. The 2CSNL2s you love could be a little scritchy, more likely so than the 2CSND3s, which typically had about 1-2 mm more free loft (matching the Ls).

This is why we use knots codes, although they don't seem to have caught on much yet.

3 997
 05-27-2017, 02:52 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Ah, but after this discussion I now know how to fully use the codes. They are another way understand knot characteristics. Thanks Ken.

11 659
 05-27-2017, 08:25 PM
User Info
One of them is in Australia and I believe a mail forwarding service was used

So if you shipped them to either Jack Northrop Ave, Hawthorne, CA 90250 or Meridian Blvd, Minden, NV 89423, USA Ken - these are shipito addresses

7 903