06-08-2017, 11:05 AM
User Info
(06-08-2017, 10:49 AM)jfim88 Wrote: First shave with the new Lotus

[Image: 8cea7ea7fd8e1ce4a538bea415b67e03.jpg]

I'm very impressed! Those new knots are simply perfect. Very soooft, good backbone, perfect feel. This knot is my favourite of the four Paladin I have (i love them all).

Ken, congrats!

Jose Francisco,

I agree, these are also my favorite knots. Superb!

16 696
 06-09-2017, 05:25 AM
User Info
(06-08-2017, 05:49 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Ken, those micro-bubbles must be the result of a flaw in the manufacturing process.  Do you get a credit from the manufacturer?  I understand that credit does not compensate you for the lost production time, which I imagine is more costly than the cost of the rod stock itself.

They're clearly a result of failing to control the process consistently. 

We had this issue with the first batch of Strawberry Amber rod we bought.  I reported it as, as I now dimly recall, was told we probably needed to start out with larger diameter rod. Larger diameter rod requires a custom order in a fairly larger (for us) minimum quantity. We did that and still ran into some bubbles, but wrote it off as unavoidable waste. The rod (both Strawberry Amber and Bazooka) that came in more recently, however, is riddled. The problem is we don'w knot how extensive is is until we've turn into it, and it takes us quite a while to go through that much rod. I've had enough, though. I'm going to see if we can return what's left. If a return for credit is accepted, that will most likely be the end of those materials for us. 

We'll see.

You're absolutely right that opportunity costs associated with time sunk in turned and finishing (and sometimes engraving) what ends up being identified as defective rod far outweighs the cost of the rod itself. The bubbles tend to show up in segments. There have been times when I've had to turn four handles from Bazooka to get one that looks good to me. I go over each one carefully wearing a magnified dental visor, which also takes additional time. But I often miss spotting bubbles. Cody catches most of them when he puts the handles on a wheel and compound sticks in them. They're generally very small.

3 1,036