05-23-2017, 02:55 PM
User Info
This is to request a favor.

I get quite a few emails and PMs asking for advice on how best to go about trying to buy one of our brushes in a release. I try to respond helpfully, but the fact is I've never gone after one that way myself, so I really can't speak from experience. Just the same, I have posted many times in different places with an aim to pass along the sense I've gathered from others based on their experiences, but that all tends to get buried pretty fast. I need to get something up on our site that we and others can point to. But that brings me pack to my deficit of insight.

I'd greatly appreciate it if those who have tried (either successfully and/or unsuccessfully) to catch a brush in one or more of our releases would share what might be helpful observations, theories, suggestions, etc. This could be very useful to us (Cody and I) as well as others. I'll harvest what I can from here and see if I can figure out how to synthesize it for efficient incorporation in a FAQ post.

Thanks in advance (hoping that the OP doesn't turn out also to be the LP). Of course I understand that helping others could cut against self-interest. But we're all Paladins, right?

3 997
 05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
User Info
I target one style of brush that I know I will like (for me that is the Sumo as I like 24mm knots with a longer handle than the Falstaff). Whenever Ken releases the "preview" I'll mentally note which one would be my target and then maybe 1-2 others that I'd be happy with, if there are any.

A few minutes before the release time, I'll set my preferences, i.e. set the parameters to "Sumo" handle and "in stock." Then I wait until the release and refresh. Ever since Ken has switched to this all-at-once method I've never had a problem getting my targeted brush.

This method of course presumes you know what you want. The pre-release photos and especially the specs really are important. I hope this is helpful. If I'm not being clear feel free to let me know!

84 1,505
 05-23-2017, 03:45 PM
User Info
(05-23-2017, 03:39 PM)jpakstis Wrote: I target one style of brush that I know I will like (for me that is the Sumo as I like 24mm knots with a longer handle than the Falstaff). Whenever Ken releases the "preview" I'll mentally note which one would be my target and then maybe 1-2 others that I'd be happy with, if there are any.

A few minutes before the release time, I'll set my preferences, i.e. set the parameters to "Sumo" handle and "in stock." Then I wait until the release and refresh. Ever since Ken has switched to this all-at-once method I've never had a problem getting my targeted brush.

This method of course presumes you know what you want. The pre-release photos and especially the specs really are important. I hope this is helpful. If I'm not being clear feel free to let me know!

This is similar to what I was thinking of trying. Thanks for the insight.

7 116
 05-23-2017, 03:59 PM
User Info
(05-23-2017, 03:45 PM)mniemann Wrote: This is similar to what I was thinking of trying. Thanks for the insight.

No problem. Good luck!

84 1,505
 05-23-2017, 04:01 PM
User Info
I tried the "Wire Paladin, San Francisco" approach with disappointing results :-(

I'm new to The Nook and Traditional Wet Shaving and have not participated in your releases as yet. However the biggest reason is I couldn't figure out details of what was pictured or the pricing. A "Buyer's Guide" of some sort would be very helpful to me.

RON

0 189
 05-23-2017, 09:11 PM
User Info
(05-23-2017, 03:39 PM)jpakstis Wrote: I target one style of brush that I know I will like (for me that is the Sumo as I like 24mm knots with a longer handle than the Falstaff).  Whenever Ken releases the "preview" I'll mentally note which one would be my target and then maybe 1-2 others that I'd be happy with, if there are any.

A few minutes before the release time, I'll set my preferences, i.e. set the parameters to "Sumo" handle and "in stock."  Then I wait until the release and refresh.  Ever since Ken has switched to this all-at-once method I've never had a problem getting my targeted brush.

This method of course presumes you know what you want.  The pre-release photos and especially the specs really are important.  I hope this is helpful.  If I'm not being clear feel free to let me know!

This is the same method I use. I think knowing what you want and setting filters are the key.

1 31
 05-24-2017, 03:36 AM
User Info
(05-23-2017, 04:01 PM)RetroRon Wrote: I tried the "Wire Paladin, San Francisco" approach with disappointing results :-(

I'm new to The Nook and Traditional Wet Shaving and have not participated in your releases as yet. However the biggest reason is I couldn't figure out details of what was pictured or the pricing. A "Buyer's Guide" of some sort would be very helpful to me.

RON

I would explore Paladin's site. Ken is nothing if not explicative about his knots, handles, methods, etc. Also you can probably find a ton of threads here and elsewhere where Ken has narrated the development of Paladin in exacting detail.

84 1,505
 05-24-2017, 07:03 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
For whatever it's worth - I've been successful in obtaining several Paladins - back to the progenitor the B&B Chief.    My methodology is pretty similar to Josh's - you have to do your shopping ahead of time and off the clock.   I'm conscious of being at the computer slightly ahead of the official start time, and refreshing to grab the targeted brush.  I've not been piggy enough to try for two in one release (my shave budget wouldn't allow it anyway).

So targeting a single brush and promptly executing the purchase right through PayPal checkout has worked for me.

As far as shopping, I agree it can be a trifle confusing.  I can decipher the codes associated with the previews, and then back into pricing, but I am maybe more patient than some.  And sometimes I still don't think I am sure of what exactly is on offer.  Just as an example, and not as a criticism, I'm not sure what the pricing is to be on the new 30mm releases coming up tomorrow ..

44 473
 05-24-2017, 07:07 AM
User Info
Hire russian hackers Smile

0 101
 05-24-2017, 07:13 AM
User Info
+1 for targeting a specific brush and not getting 'greedy' and trying to get them all in one shot.

I prioritize which ones I want and set up those parameters a few minuets ahead of launch and just refresh the screen when the time comes and buy them one at a time (I've only gotten two in one go but I got both top choices).  Ken was always very good at refunding the additional shipping cost, just send him a message after the sale.

I also am pre-loged into paypal so that makes that step faster as well.

18 654
 05-24-2017, 11:58 AM
User Info
(05-24-2017, 07:03 AM)garyg Wrote: As far as shopping, I agree it can be a trifle confusing.  I can decipher the codes associated with the previews, and then back into pricing, but I am maybe more patient than some.  And sometimes I still don't think I am sure of what exactly is on offer.  Just as an example, and not as a criticism, I'm not sure what the pricing is to be on the new 30mm releases coming up tomorrow ..

Fair point. I know the Flickr previews probably aren't all they could be, but with some things we have to settle for what's good enough to accomplish basic objectives. In the case of the gallery, that's simply giving everyone a chance to see brushes that will be included in a release a couple days in advance. The decision to do that was driven entirely by the way releases have blown out, which we didn't anticipate. We did add handles sizes on the gallery, so you shouldn't have to decipher that from the serial numbers any more. But I don't think we'll do that with pricing.

The way the site presently works, new brushes don't show up until they're actually offered for sale, so there's no way to see descriptions of and pricing for new brushes in the store before the first release in which they're offered. But I always try to post pricing of new bushes in advance of their initial release. Fact is, I literally just wrapped up a phone conversation with Cody (about 5 minutes ago), the main purpose of which was to settle pricing for the WC-XL. We decided on $280. 

As for brushes that have been previously offered, the best thing to do for the time being is look up prices by variant in the store. Cody is working on a page to lay brush information out on one page that's a little more user friendly. But there's always more to do than we have time to get done, and unfortunately, things like that often tend to slide. We have a very long list. Generally, making brushes trumps just about everything else unless/until something else becomes critical.

No complaint or attitude here. Just telling it like it is.

I really appreciate all the posts. It's very helpful.

3 997
 05-24-2017, 12:00 PM
User Info
(05-24-2017, 07:13 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: +1 for targeting a specific brush and not getting 'greedy' and trying to get them all in one shot.

I prioritize which ones I want and set up those parameters a few minuets ahead of launch and just refresh the screen when the time comes and buy them one at a time (I've only gotten two in one go but I got both top choices).  Ken was always very good at refunding the additional shipping cost, just send him a message after the sale.

I also am pre-loged into paypal so that makes that step faster as well.

Thanks, but it isn't necessary to send a message requesting combined shipping. The first thing I do is download all order into a spreadsheet and sort by email addresses. Unless someone purchase using different accounts/names, we automatically combine shipping and issue refunds for excess shipping charges.

3 997
 05-25-2017, 06:09 PM
User Info
Scored a sweet lemon drop Chief! Thanks for the tip.

7 116