08-20-2012, 03:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250121.JPG?m=1345500927]

When RazoRock was created,the idea of the founders was to offer great shaving products with low prices.Well,Im afraid they have archived both goals and this is another great example of it : the shave gel.

This shave gel could be use as a proper shave gel (ha!) or as a pre shave gel/oil,as I have been using it with excellent results.My skin is very dry and sensitive,so I have started to use pre shave oils more frequent now,and I can tell you,that this shave gel puts to shame to 3 times more expensive pre shave oils,like the Truefitt and Hill,for example (and I love how the T&H pre shave oil smells,but its not as effective as this one).

This shave gel is made in Canada and have the following natural ingredients :

[Image: P1250122.JPG?m=1345500963]

Water, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sugar, Vegetable Glycerin, Sodium Borate, Essential oils (lavender, coriander, juniper, sandalwood, tangerine, patchouli, fir needle, lemon)

So we can read that it contais olive oil,coconut oil as well as another bunch of essential oils.

This shave gel is,of course,brushless,and doesnt leaves a "greasy" or oily residue during of after the shave,something that I cant say of other pre shave oils,specially if you use more than you need.

I notice that everytime I use this oil,the skin is so well nourished after the shave,as well as smooth and hydrated : as I said,I have very dry,sensitive skin and I appreciate this a lot.

This shave gel contains 120ml and it cost around 10 bucks.Ok,lets see,the Art of Shaving pre shave oil contains 60 ml and cost 25 dollars...the Truefitt and Hill contains 2 OZ and cost 30 dollars...is this pre shave a bargain?YES,it is.

It scent is fresh,and doesnt interfere with the shaving cream/soap scent that you are using.

If you have very dry skin and need a good pre shave gel/oil,do yourself a favor and get one of this.I got today,due to a trade (thanks Steve!) the RazoRock 888 with Eucaliptus and Tea Trea Oil and looking forward to try it tomorrow.

86 7,123
 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Teiste for a great review of what looks like another winner from RazoRock.

100 12,436
 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Great write up my Teisty!

88 4,233
 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Teiste have you tried lathering this up with a brush. Not to shave with mind you because the lather would be lousy, but just see if it lathers.

Looking at the ingredient list it reads to me like basic liquid soap that is a bastile which is a castile olive oil soap with some coconut oil to add additional lather. Unless they are adding additional oil that isn't saponified by the potassium hydroxide. The sodium borate is a neutralizer for the potassium hydroxide. I have made liquid soap before almost identical in the ingredient list in years past. So in a sense it's more of a liquid soap than a pre-shave oil in terms like what AOS or T&H sells which is unsaponified oil. But castile soap is very moisturizing so I'm guessing the coconut oil is limited since coconut oil is very drying to the skin when it's saponified.

7 405
 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
Teiste,

I use the RR pre shave from time to time as well. How do you prefer to use it? with shaving cream or by itself?

Krissy, there is some minimal lather produced, depending on how much water is added with the pre shave. At least for me.

9 1,199
 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I also use this product, but exclusively as a pre-shave. It is, as Teiste says, an excellent pre-shave with the face saving properties he mentions.

2 11,211
 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-20-2012, 04:02 PM)krissy Wrote: Teiste have you tried lathering this up with a brush. Not to shave with mind you because the lather would be lousy, but just see if it lathers.

Looking at the ingredient list it reads to me like basic liquid soap that is a bastile which is a castile olive oil soap with some coconut oil to add additional lather. Unless they are adding additional oil that isn't saponified by the potassium hydroxide. The sodium borate is a neutralizer for the potassium hydroxide. I have made liquid soap before almost identical in the ingredient list in years past. So in a sense it's more of a liquid soap than a pre-shave oil in terms like what AOS or T&H sells which is unsaponified oil. But castile soap is very moisturizing so I'm guessing the coconut oil is limited since coconut oil is very drying to the skin when it's saponified.

Krissy,it doesnt lather basically.However,my dry skin says that this is a great product for dry skin,even better than some pre shave oils out there.

(08-20-2012, 04:17 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Teiste,

I use the RR pre shave from time to time as well. How do you prefer to use it? with shaving cream or by itself?

Krissy, there is some minimal lather produced, depending on how much water is added with the pre shave. At least for me.

I have been using it with creams mainly and works fantastic.

86 7,123
 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Gotcha thanks!!

I think I understand the makings of it now! Smart thinking on their part!!!!

7 405