05-24-2017, 05:00 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I love them.  

Does anyone else?  

I have not owned one in years.  I think I may get one, soon.

1 589
 05-24-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
Although I sold my last pocket watch months ago, all vintage timepieces appeal to me. I currently sport a modest collection of wristwatches from the 40s to the late 60s that I love and cherish.

In short, vintage timepieces are great. I'll take a broken pocket watch before anyone ever convinces me to wear a watch made by the same people that make cell phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 21
 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM
User Info
I have my grandfather's...This thread will lead me to admiring and using it again.

73 4,338
 05-24-2017, 06:39 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I used to collect railroad-grade pocket watches from the turn of the 20th century. It was very expensive, and the watches were not very reliable. Then I discovered the joys of this shaving thing. I've still got my watches, but as I don't want to spend the money to clean and make them work again, I'll stick to spending tens, and not hundreds, of dollars to enjoy my primary hobby. I continue to enjoy looking at my pocket watches, and thinking of the uniformed gents who carried them to make rail commerce function.

6 385
 05-25-2017, 02:27 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(05-24-2017, 05:44 PM)TexBilly Wrote: I have my grandfather's...This thread  will lead me to admiring and using it again.

Glad to hear it. Smile

1 589
 05-25-2017, 03:35 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I carried my Hamilton 992B for 25-years.  It is now on display in a glass case.  I still wind it every other day and have it cleaned and oiled every two years by an authorized Hamilton watch man.  You want to keep them running.  It still keeps perfect time.  When I'm gone it will go to the railroad museum in Tomball, TX where I use to work many, many years ago.

[Image: 1XzAU4N.jpg]

179 23,923
 05-25-2017, 05:22 AM
User Info
My son that has limited vision enjoys pocket watches. He has owned Wakmann and Arsa braille pocket watches, but it's getting increasingly more difficult to find braille pocket watched of any quality.

0 596
 05-25-2017, 07:25 AM
User Info
I had a Hamilton 992 made in 1931 back in the 1970s which I used to wear all of the time. Back at that time it was still possible to get dress slacks with a watch pocket, and jeans, which I wore most of the time since I was an ironworker, still have them. Had an Illinois Bunn Special with a 60 hour movement which I dropped and broke, and a 992 Elinvar. Sold all eventually and went to wrist watches.

About 6 months ago I got the pocket watch bug again and was going to go for a Seiko Railway watch @ about $265.00 USD. Then I got to thinking that I might not use it and why spend the money to let it sit in a drawer when I could spend it on a high end razor .... Wink  ..... So I put my wrist watch in the drawer and began using my phone as my watch.

Now I've decided to forget the pocket watch and the wrist watch. Just stick with the phone. Funny how things go sometimes with this technology stuff.

7 237
 05-25-2017, 07:33 AM
User Info
Johnny, that Hamilton is gorgeous!  And what a generous gesture to donate it to the museum!   Cool

73 4,338
 05-25-2017, 07:38 AM
User Info
(05-25-2017, 03:35 AM)Johnny Wrote: I carried my Hamilton 992B for 25-years.  It is now on display in a glass case.  I still wind it every other day and have it cleaned and oiled every two years by an authorized Hamilton watch man.  You want to keep them running.  It still keeps perfect time.  When I'm gone it will go to the railroad museum in Tomball, TX where I use to work many, many years ago.

[Image: 1XzAU4N.jpg]

Beautiful watch Johnny, and it looks to be in superb condition.

50 6,404