05-25-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
Here's a weird one that has upped the quality of my shave results.  For the last fifteen to twenty shaves,  I've been squeezing out the remaining lather from my brush and applying to to my freshly shaved face while I rinse out the brush and bowl and clean my DE.   So the lather is on my face for maybe another 2-3 minutes.  I wash off the lather with warm water first,  then follow with cold water for a few more splashes until it's completely removed.   I've stopped using aftershave splashes and have switched to Nivea balm,  preferring to add fragrance with an application of cologne.   If I feel my face during my last pass it can seem like there may be some areas that are not completely BBS,  but further buffing or other attempts to clean up those areas usually results in razor burn so I quit while I'm ahead.  However,  after using the post shave re-lather and wash up,  within 10-15 minutes after my face is BBS.  This has worked every time and is the only variable I've changed in ages.   It makes no sense, but it's almost as though the non-BBS areas somehow retract and can no longer be felt.  This only happens when I follow the  routine of re-applying the lather after my last pass.  Try it and see if it works for you.

1 218
 05-25-2017, 07:44 PM
User Info
(05-25-2017, 07:09 PM)Laird Wrote: Here's a weird one that has upped the quality of my shave results.  For the last fifteen to twenty shaves,  I've been squeezing out the remaining lather from my brush and applying to to my freshly shaved face while I rinse out the brush and bowl and clean my DE.   So the lather is on my face for maybe another 2-3 minutes.  I wash off the lather with warm water first,  then follow with cold water for a few more splashes until it's completely removed.   I've stopped using aftershave splashes and have switched to Nivea balm,  preferring to add fragrance with an application of cologne.   If I feel my face during my last pass it can seem like there may be some areas that are not completely BBS,  but further buffing or other attempts to clean up those areas usually results in razor burn so I quit while I'm ahead.  However,  after using the post shave re-lather and wash up,  within 10-15 minutes after my face is BBS.  This has worked every time and is the only variable I've changed in ages.   It makes no sense, but it's almost as though the non-BBS areas somehow retract and can no longer be felt.  This only happens when I follow the  routine of re-applying the lather after my last pass.  Try it and see if it works for you.

I can see the merit in this method. May give it a try, thanks for the idea.

7 114
 05-26-2017, 03:18 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
It is not unusual for you to feel a slight amount of whiskers on your face or an area of your face immediately after your last rinse but it turns out to be BBS after it dries. One reason your whiskers are easier to shave wet is they absorb moisture and swell lowering the relative density of said whisker but when they dry they shrink back down.

7 2,279
 05-26-2017, 03:38 AM
User Info
BBS only lasts for 1 hour on me anyway, so I've stopped chasing it.

But if you like how the post lather application makes you feel, stay with it.

But in my view it's too cumbersome and a bit over-doing things.
But hey, I apply both a splash and a balm for that perfect feel....

24 5,833
 05-26-2017, 03:39 AM
User Info
(05-26-2017, 03:38 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: BBS only lasts for 1 hour on me anyway, so I've stopped chasing it.

+1

39 3,867
 05-26-2017, 04:26 AM
User Info
(05-26-2017, 03:38 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: BBS only lasts for 1 hour on me anyway, so I've stopped chasing it.

This.

Also, I squeeze out the remaining lather and use it to make a super-luxurious last pass.

26 981
 05-26-2017, 08:17 AM
User Info
It depends on the soap used I guess. Some I wouldn't think of doing that with, too drying and three applications is plenty. Others that have more moisturizing properties I suppose I could see. But if it's working for you, no need to change.

0 141
 05-26-2017, 08:22 AM
User Info
I always make it! We in spanish forums call it "comfort lather".

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

3 1,036
 05-27-2017, 12:49 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
I get a BBS every shave. I don't chase it, it's just there after my standard three passes.

7 2,279
 06-01-2017, 08:44 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(05-27-2017, 12:49 PM)Mouser Wrote: I get a BBS every shave. I don't chase it, it's just there after my standard three passes.

Rings true for me too, almost... I get a BBS every shave. I don't chase it, it's just there after my standard two passes and some touch-ups. Of course I shave around a connected goatee. Not doing the chin area makes it easy, and I only shave every three or four days (so BBS is pretty effortless).

20 329
 06-02-2017, 02:01 AM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I do this, as well, basically.

1 560
 06-03-2017, 08:25 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(05-27-2017, 12:49 PM)Mouser Wrote: I get a BBS every shave. I don't chase it, it's just there after my standard three passes.

And I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but that coincided with my switch to using only  vintage blades.

7 2,279
 06-03-2017, 05:02 PM
User Info
I recently saw someone do this in a YouTube video. I handn't considered doing it before. With the right soap, I think it could be good for the skin. Artisan soaps usually have a little unsaponified oil in them that could be very balm-like.

0 1,052
 06-03-2017, 05:20 PM
User Info
I believe Panna Crema NUÀVIA recommends this approach.

26 981
 06-03-2017, 07:17 PM
User Info
Well like I said, it works for me.  Initially it was just a way to remove the lather from my brush before I rinsed it and I stuck it on my face to add more fragrance.  Afterwards I noticed improved face feel and closeness.  It could very well be imaginary.  Hardly over the top though considering the almost manic desires evidenced by posts about acquiring complete lines of every brand of soap and aftershave or every brush, straight, Stainless DE, Bronze DE, Single edge, and variation of vintage Gillette ever manufactured.  It's just a little lather on the face while I clean up.

1 218
 06-06-2017, 04:10 PM
User Info
If I remember correctly, Noxema made a pinkish shaving cream in a jar back in the '70s, and they suggested you run a little on your face after the shave.

0 381
 06-13-2017, 09:57 AM
User Info
(05-26-2017, 03:18 AM)Mouser Wrote: It is not unusual for you to feel a slight amount of whiskers on your face or an area of your face immediately after your last rinse but it turns out to be BBS after it dries. One reason your whiskers are easier to shave wet is they absorb moisture and swell lowering the relative density of said whisker but when they dry they shrink back down.
Thanks for that explanation. I've been shaving for a long time and I always wondered why I have a couple of areas that always seem to have some stubble after shaving, but about an hour later it is totally smooth. This has always been the case for me and I never understood why or how. I also need to join the guys who say BBS is the norm for them. I would say I get BBS at least 80% of the time without chasing it.

2 135
 06-13-2017, 10:32 AM
User Info
FWIW the Faena soap maker (Greece) suggests: "Tip: After shaving, apply the remaining lather from the bowl and your brush, on your face. After 2 minutes, rinse. This will provide additional conditioning and softness to your skin."

0 9
 06-17-2017, 02:33 PM
User Info
(06-13-2017, 10:32 AM)Mazama Wrote: FWIW the Faena soap maker (Greece) suggests: "Tip: After shaving, apply the remaining lather from the bowl and your brush, on your face. After 2 minutes, rinse. This will provide additional conditioning and softness to your skin."

Feels good when using a mentholated soap.

2 135
 06-18-2017, 06:29 PM
User Info
I will be trying this on my very next shave and the
Only soap I use is VDH Luxury Scented Pucks.

0 19