08-20-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
Hello guys what is the best way to effectively clean a Brush that has a soap ring around the bottom I would like my brushes to last a very long time

12 568
 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM
User Info
http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm

9 2,988
 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I use MAC Brush Cleanser...

[attachment=5200]

"This one product will clean, disinfect and condition the brush fibres so that brushes will last longer. It is convenient to use and is specifically designed to extend the life of high quality brushes. Brush Cleanser leaves your brushes smelling fresh and clean and helps shorten their drying time."

Obviously it's targeted at make-up brushes, but these are generally natural fibres too and some of my wife's premium brushes are as expensive as my shaving ones! I've been using it for a couple of years and am very happy with the product.

Available at:

http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/135/...index.tmpl

91 17,876
 08-20-2012, 08:11 PM
User Info
The video that Lee posted is a very good one.

75 20,883
 08-20-2012, 08:42 PM
User Info
I just lather and shave with a glycerine soap. But as good as this leaves the brush, one use of a saponified soap undoes it all and the water no longer soaks in as it did after cleaning. So I don't get all religious about brush cleaning.

BTW, 100 years ago gents just used, over and over, their brushes w/o the benefit of cleaners and such and some of those brushes are in use today.

If it makes you feel better to clean your brush, go for it. But I chill out and use them and when they line up with a glycerine soap they get their cleaning. It couldn't be easier or more laid back.

32 6,311
 08-23-2012, 08:56 AM
User Info
ShadowsDad I doubt they didn't have vinegar.
Which is the only thing you need to clean your brush.
It de-calcifies. Soak it in 1/3 vinegar 2/3 water for a night and rinse thoroughly.

0 50
 08-23-2012, 09:12 AM
User Info
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Formula Shampoo works well on my brushes.

185 12,010
 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM
User Info
(08-20-2012, 07:50 PM)ben74 Wrote: I use MAC Brush Cleanser...

"This one product will clean, disinfect and condition the brush fibres so that brushes will last longer. It is convenient to use and is specifically designed to extend the life of high quality brushes. Brush Cleanser leaves your brushes smelling fresh and clean and helps shorten their drying time."

Obviously it's targeted at make-up brushes, but these are generally natural fibres too and some of my wife's premium brushes are as expensive as my shaving ones! I've been using it for a couple of years and am very happy with the product.

Available at:

How do you do Ben, by immersion?

1 1,428
 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM
User Info
(08-23-2012, 08:56 AM)El-a-Menthol Wrote: ShadowsDad I doubt they didn't have vinegar.
Which is the only thing you need to clean your brush.
It de-calcifies. Soak it in 1/3 vinegar 2/3 water for a night and rinse thoroughly.

I don't consider vinegar to be a cleaner. By "cleaner" I meant a special detergent preparation. But yes, in a larger meaning of the word it could be (and is) a cleaner.

FWIW, my water has very little or no calcium and my brushes still get "filmed" up after use. It's just the nature of soap I guess, or maybe there's a mineral in our water that doesn't add to the hardness, but still comes out with soap.

32 6,311
 08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
User Info
Using anything besides vinegar can't hurt of course, as long as it's not too aggressive.

0 50
 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(08-23-2012, 09:14 AM)Dr Dulcamara Wrote:
(08-20-2012, 07:50 PM)ben74 Wrote: I use MAC Brush Cleanser...

Available at:

How do you do Ben, by immersion?

Juan, I squeeze a little of the MAC cleanser in to my palm and gently massage in to a damp brush. I particularly employ this on used brushes that I buy or sell as it sanitises as well as cleans. I honestly find this the most effective and simplest method to clean, condition and sanitise brushes.

I've also used the diluted vinegar, followed by baby shampoo method too. It works fine, but I'm not a fan of the brush smelling like vinegar, but the smell does go away after use with a scented soap or cream. I thought of using apple cider vinegar, but was advised not to due to the high level of sugars in it.

Given my large rotation of brushes, I don't often need to remove soap build up. I thoroughly rinse my brushes which probably helps guard against soap build up. A wet Q-tip is all you need to remove the soap ring at the base of the knot.

91 17,876
 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
User Info
I just use very hot tap water and my lather bowl which is a medium dark colour.
A white bowl or mug obscures the fogginess of the water.
I keep rinsing and changing the water until it runs clear.

Mickey

0 48