05-27-2017, 06:21 AM
User Info
I ran out of Krokos last weekend. Ordered another jar from Barbiere di Figaro in The Netherlands. And...holy cow, it arrived yesterday. Less than a week!

Italian Barber is out of stock, and I really wanted some more, so I figured I'd give them a try. And, well, you know, since the shipping charge is the same for one or four jars, I decided to try a few of their other kinds.

Now, you might recall that I am moving toward unscented shaving soap and cream. Since the scent is really light, I consider Krokos to be in that category. As for the others...ummmm, well, there's no rush. I'm still sort-of moving in the direction of unscented. OK, I will be moving in that direction. They just looked really interesting, and I want to give them a try. They sure smell fine in the tins. Will try them this week.

Abbate Y La Mantia's website says they have a new product coming out—a coconut and banana soap. I'm tempted. Perhaps I can wait until the end of the summer to go unscented.

[Image: KIEnvrF.jpg]

1 417
 05-27-2017, 11:05 AM
User Info
Maggard just added in there inventory

0 34
 05-27-2017, 06:50 PM
User Info
Laureato is an amazing scent!

0 25
 05-29-2017, 05:06 PM
User Info
So, I shaved with Crumiro this morning.  Superb performance, great moisturizing, and no sensitivity issues.  However, the scent is very light.  Extremely light.  It's lovely, but almost not there.

Laureato seems to be much stronger, and smells wonderful in the tin.  I'll give it a try.

And, I hit send with Maggard and am looking forward to the arrival of Matteo and Vulcano.  The descriptions have sure got my interest!

1 417
 05-31-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
I've wanted to try the Krokos, as I've heard great things. I also prefer unscented or at least very lighly great smelling soaps. How would you compare it to the best of the best like Nuavia, SMN, I Coloniali or Valobra?

8 196
 06-01-2017, 02:59 AM
User Info
Excellent question.

I can only compare it to SMN and Valobra Fougere.

All terrific soaps. But it's a bit like comparing Ardbeg to Langavulin and Bowmore. There'll all spectacular, and I love all of them, and have 'em all in rotation.

I used SMN this morning. Performance-wise, about the same as Krokos (excellent). After shave feel (moisturizing), I think Krokos is better. Scent? Very different. Both light. Both wonderful. I think SMN might appeal to more guys than Krokos, which is quite "different." I've grown to love it. SMN is more refreshing. Krokos is warm, comforting, and...special. Maybe even a little medicinal. It is great on my sensitive skin. Maybe the saffron, who knows?

Valobra tomorrow.

1 417
 06-03-2017, 03:43 AM
User Info
I tried Valobra yesterday.  Ahhhh, haven't had that out of the drawer in a very long time.  Don't know why it wasn't in rotation.

Difficult comparison.  Like Hendrick's or Bruichladdich with tonic on a hot day.  Both are sublime.

Performance-wise, well, as before, about the same as Krokos (excellent).  After shave feel (moisturizing), oh my, hard call.  Very hard call.  Valobra might, and I emphasis "might," be a tiny bit better.  Scent...well, I've never been a big fan of the scent of Valobra.  Don't dislike it at all, but I don't find it particularly interesting.  So, Krokos wins in that department by a long-shot.

To make the comparison a little more scientific since they're so close, one of these days I'm going to do a half-and-half shave with both.  Stay tuned.

On another note, I see Don Jose is sold out already.  I guess everyone wants to try that coconut and banana scent in the summer.

1 417
 06-05-2017, 10:56 AM
User Info
(06-03-2017, 03:43 AM)David Wrote: On another note, I see Don Jose is sold out already.  I guess everyone wants to try that coconut and banana scent in the summer.

Lol, Im not a huge fan of Banana by any means but I just had to order Don Jose. Honestly more excited to receive this soap than I have any for a long time, it just sounds so unique.

4 929
 06-06-2017, 06:25 AM
User Info
Received the Don Jose yesterday. Haven't used the soap yet so I can't comment on the performance, but if you ever had one of the Banana Wacky Wafer candies that used to sell back in the 70's that is what the scent is, at least my nose. I'm not picking up very much coconut at all and definitely no scent from the saffron or menthol. Hopefully the coconut will open up a little during the shave.

4 929
 06-06-2017, 08:59 AM
User Info
(06-06-2017, 06:25 AM)Oasisdave Wrote: Received the Don Jose yesterday. Haven't used the soap yet so I can't comment on the performance, but if you ever had one of the Banana Wacky Wafer candies that used to sell back in the 70's that is what the scent is, at least my nose. I'm not picking up very much coconut at all and definitely no scent from the saffron or menthol. Hopefully the coconut will open up a little during the shave.

Where did you get it?  Maggard is sold out.

I'm looking forward to your impressions.  I hope the coconut is noticeable.  (I can't help but think of Simpson's Vanilla & Rose—I can't detect any Vanilla).

The only Abbate Y La Mantia product that seems to have the saffron scent is Krokos.  I can't detect it in the others that I have.

1 417
 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM
User Info
(06-06-2017, 08:59 AM)David Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 06:25 AM)Oasisdave Wrote: Received the Don Jose yesterday. Haven't used the soap yet so I can't comment on the performance, but if you ever had one of the Banana Wacky Wafer candies that used to sell back in the 70's that is what the scent is, at least my nose. I'm not picking up very much coconut at all and definitely no scent from the saffron or menthol. Hopefully the coconut will open up a little during the shave.

Where did you get it?  Maggard is sold out.

I'm looking forward to your impressions.  I hope the coconut is noticeable.  (I can't help but think of Simpson's Vanilla & Rose—I can't detect any Vanilla).

The only Abbate Y La Mantia product that seems to have the saffron scent is Krokos.  I can't detect it in the others that I have.

Yeah I purchased from Maggards when they had about 10 left. Will probably use it this coming weekend

4 929
 06-11-2017, 04:46 PM
User Info
Almost a complete set.  All I need now is Don Jose.  I'm really into this brand at the moment!  Quite addictive.

[Image: qBm4zi8.jpg]

1 417
 11-18-2017, 07:09 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I just received the Vegano yesterday.
I thought that they all came in a nice jar, but that is my fault... only the Krokos does... the others come in a cheap tin.

The Vegano scent while in the tin is about 98% identical to SV 70th Anniverary. It's an okay scent but not really what I'm going for when I shave (or any time, to be honest).
But, more than any soap I can think of, the scent upon lathering is quite a bit different... more refreshing (not musky like the SV 70th Ann.).
Just a preview of my thoughts.

What are the favorite scents???

62 3,014
 11-22-2017, 08:00 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I've used this (Vegano) three times now, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance. Historically, I did not care for TFS soaps but I wonder if the saffron has something to do with it, or if the base formula of TFS has evolved over time, or even if the base formula of this soap is different from other current TFS offerings (other than the saffron).

62 3,014
 11-22-2017, 08:03 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(06-11-2017, 04:46 PM)David Wrote: Almost a complete set.  All I need now is Don Jose.  I'm really into this brand at the moment!  Quite addictive.

Nice David.
Do you like the Vulcano?? Can you describe the scent? Any skin burn from the pepper?

BTW - Also there are two newer scents that came out:
- Garden (gardenia, red rose, honeysuckle)
- Isacco (black fig and green apple)

62 3,014
 11-25-2017, 02:03 PM
User Info
(11-22-2017, 08:03 PM)Nero Wrote:
(06-11-2017, 04:46 PM)David Wrote: Almost a complete set.  All I need now is Don Jose.  I'm really into this brand at the moment!  Quite addictive.

Nice David.
Do you like the Vulcano?? Can you describe the scent? Any skin burn from the pepper?

BTW - Also there are two newer scents that came out:
- Garden (gardenia, red rose, honeysuckle)
- Isacco (black fig and green apple)

Vulcano is certainly my #2 favourite from their product line.  Krokos remains #1.

It is really nice on my skin, especially in the cold weather when my skin dries out.  Perhaps it's the olive oil in it.

No skin burn at all from the pepper.  It's extremely soft.  Lathers beautifully and easily.

Now, the scent.  Oh boy, I'm really not very good at describing scent.  It sure is masculine.  Smells great.  Not sweet.  I know there's capsicum in it, but I don't notice any pepper scent.  Maybe liquorice. Warm. Gets better as you lather.

I didn't know they had other ones.  I'm going to have to add to my collection.  I'll go with Isacco first. It really appeals.

1 417
 12-02-2017, 08:50 AM
User Info
If you had to pick one, recommendation?

102 1,545