05-28-2017, 10:22 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
So it's not brand new but I just noticed Taylor of Old Bond Street now has a "Platinum Collection" with soap/cream/balm, EdT. Supposed to be their new "luxury" line.

anyone try it?  Comments on performance, scent?

169 1,424
 05-28-2017, 10:34 AM
User Info
Yes. See my mini review from a few weeks ago.. Lovely cream but very soft scent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 5
 05-28-2017, 10:36 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(05-28-2017, 10:34 AM)polanalyst Wrote: Yes.  See my mini review from a few weeks ago..  Lovely cream but very soft scent.

Thanks!

169 1,424
 07-02-2017, 02:32 PM
User Info
Packaging: beautiful, mirror-finished. Etched label on lid (vs sticker).

In-shave scent: nice, mild, citrus/floral/white pear.

Drydown: subtle, benzoin/tonka bean/amber.

Lather: good slipperiness, not voluminous, but very dense/protective.

Post-shave feel: very close shave, slightly moisturizing (more so than the typical TOBS).

In a nutshell, it’s as good as any of the big-league UK creams, imo.

(Also tried the TOBS Platinum Collection hard soap, and reformulated/potassium-first Sandalwood Herbal; both excellent, imo. The PC hard soap is unique in that the first ingredient is glycerin, and, although the first salt is sodium-based, it lathers well, probably due to the added decyl glucoside.)

0 528
 07-02-2017, 06:09 PM
User Info
I'm desperately trying to use all my shaving creams up, because I now prefer soaps, but since I prefer soaps I have a hard time using up all my creams........the circle is closed.

I did consider buying this new TOBS, since I have the complete TOBS, TF&H, GFT, St. James and DR Harris collection of creams - but I really don't like using them enough to..........actually use them.......

Not that they are bad by any means, but still they collect dust on my shelfs.....

Is the base of the Platinum the same as the newer TOBS base, then it's a really good but not great cream.

24 6,018
 07-02-2017, 07:26 PM
User Info
(07-02-2017, 06:09 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Is the base of the Platinum the same as the newer TOBS base, then it's a really good but not great cream.

On paper, their creams appear to be awfully similar (to each other). However, the PC cream clearly gives me a more comfortable and effective shave compared to other TOBS. Many of the other TOBS, give me mildly irritated and/or dry skin; definitely not so with the PC (YMMV).

(Not to mention the PC fragrance is considerably more sophisticated compared to those in the other TOBS creams, imho.)

0 528
 07-03-2017, 05:06 AM
User Info
If only TOBS brought back Mr. Sidney. I would buy the lot. I am sparingly using the aftershave, best scent they produced IMO.

0 847
 07-04-2017, 09:07 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I love TOBS aftershave, but, I was quite unimpressed with their traditional soap.  The newer soaps were better, but kind of drying.  Their creams smell really great, though, I think.   I think their colognes are just their aftershaves, sans menthol.  Only teenagers, and, tourists get their haircut there, though, as a barbershop.

1 589
 07-05-2017, 11:29 AM
User Info
I think PC is worth it - but only just! Very soft but lovely scent and really close shave. It works nicely with me but you could also say it's unremarkable. I would love to know what the "Premium' content is to command a premium price! My view is that if you like TOBS then go for it.. If you don't, you are not really missing anything amazing. But...the shave was close!

0 5