08-20-2012, 10:26 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250127.JPG?m=1345500971]

This brush was offered as "Manchurian silvertip" on ebay,and thanks t my friend Lee (thanks mate!) I had the chance to test (not even used it for shaving) one of these Frank Shaving "Manchurian silvertip" brush.

When I think about Manchuria,I think about one of my fav movies of all times "The Last Emperor" by Bernardo Bertolucci,which won a lot of Oscars back in 1987.This brush should win an award for being such a disgraceful brush.

[Image: P1250128.JPG?m=1345500974]

I dont know if the brush killed to make this brush was from Manchuria or not,but this is a regular silvertip/super badger for other brands,brush.

The loft its too high for the little backbone that this hair has and also the tips are kind of scritchy when dry...and when wet too...

The handle is very light,made of plastic and gives you the impression of having a cheap,dollar store, boar brush instead a silvertip brush.

Also check these pics out :

[Image: P1250130.JPG?m=1345501003]

[Image: P1250129.JPG?m=1345501139]

Yeah,thats glue,as you can see.Great quality control!!!Angry

Seriously,such a shame that a badger had to die to make this brush.

Floppy almost as a mop,scritchy and such a cheap handle.

The hair density is, at least,decent,but a The Golden Nib knot has more hair than this,at least 15% more :

[Image: P1250131.JPG?m=1345501012]

I tried this brush with shaving soaps (terrible since it doesn't have enough backbone and I have to load and load and load and load...),with shaving creams (good enough),facelathering with circular movements (bad since splashes all over the face) and with painting strokes (decent), and to paid more than 15 dollars for it would be a rip off.Im afraid that this brush cost much , much less than that.

Im sure that Chinese makers could do much better brushes than this,but this is the kind of badger hair brush that I dont like a single bit.

Save your money for something better,even if the badger hair its not from Manchuria...

86 7,123
 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I was looking at his brushes... Thanks for making my decision easy on NOT even trying any.

88 4,233
 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
User Info
Here are my thoughts with pictures comparing it to a Shavemac 117, a Semogue, and a WSP.

http://www.asharperrazor.com/photographi...rtip-brush

It's a uh... interesting brush. Should've taken pictures next to a TGN knot, maybe Teiste can provide the missing photo.

9 2,988
 08-20-2012, 11:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-20-2012, 10:53 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Here are my thoughts with pictures comparing it to a Shavemac 117, a Semogue, and a WSP.

http://www.asharperrazor.com/photographi...rtip-brush

It's a uh... interesting brush. Should've taken pictures next to a TGN knot, maybe Teiste can provide the missing photo.

Thanks for the review,my friend.Yes,this brush is much floppier than a Kent BK4 or BK8.Enough said.

86 7,123
 08-21-2012, 01:59 AM
User Info
What is the cost of the brush? If it were $25 it may be a bargin, even with it's downfalls. I dont own any of these brushes and I never will, but for a beginner if it is cheap enough it may work fine for them.

0 86
 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM
User Info
(08-21-2012, 01:59 AM)Slim-65 Wrote: What is the cost of the brush? If it were $25 it may be a bargin, even with it's downfalls. I dont own any of these brushes and I never will, but for a beginner if it is cheap enough it may work fine for them.

Ian Tang is selling it for $25.

I wouldn't call it a bargain even at the $15 I paid....

It's not a terribly pleasant brush to use.

I don't know Teiste, do you think black badger would be better? That hair would cost less and come in a wood or resin handle.

9 2,988
 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM
User Info
(08-20-2012, 11:23 PM)Teiste Wrote: Thanks for the review,my friend.Yes,this brush is much floppier than a Kent BK4 or BK8.Enough said.

Is that possible?

Thanks for the review, Teiste!

12 1,243
 08-21-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste. I had one FS brush, early in my wet shaving experience, and it was lousy, poor quality all around. I PIFed pretty quickly once I had a couple better brushes.

183 12,002
 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Funny, I own two Frank Shaving brushes and absolutely love them. They are an incredible bargain for the money. I find them well put together, love the feel of the handles in my hand and the brush on my face. The hair on each of mine was called finest badger. Oh well, to each his own. Wink

As a side note, I certainly wish that hair types were standardized across the industry.

2 11,211
 08-21-2012, 11:12 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-21-2012, 10:31 AM)freddy Wrote: Funny, I own two Frank Shaving brushes and absolutely love them. They are an incredible bargain for the money. I find them well put together, love the feel of the handles in my hand and the brush on my face. The hair on each of mine was called finest badger. Oh well, to each his own. Wink

As a side note, I certainly wish that hair types were standardized across the industry.

Impossible,that would be the "bye bye" to marketing strategies and some type of badger hair denominations.[/align]

86 7,123
 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-21-2012, 11:12 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 10:31 AM)freddy Wrote: Funny, I own two Frank Shaving brushes and absolutely love them. They are an incredible bargain for the money. I find them well put together, love the feel of the handles in my hand and the brush on my face. The hair on each of mine was called finest badger. Oh well, to each his own. Wink

Impossible,that would be the "bye bye" to marketing strategies and some type of badger hair denominations.[/align]

And this is a bad thing, Teiste? Huh

2 11,211
 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM
User Info

Finest badger hair from the lower end market is actually pretty on par with the more expensive producers. I think the Chinese keep the hair for themselves or something. Who knows.

Also, that is impossible. I can tell you for a fact that even though a company only offers certain grades of hair, if you order enough units, they'll cherry pick whatever hair you want.

Thus, Silvertip Grade A can get even softer, ala Simpsons Super. Finest can get even better, ala Thater. And taking it a step even further up the chain, Simpsons Manchurian/Rooney Finest.

Do you want a unique hair? Thick strands with thick middle bands? Plisson HMW. They might have to reject 999 badgers to get the right pelt, but it's there.

As far as it goes, the only uniformity is where the hair comes from. We all know that the light tipped hair comes from the neck and back of the neck area. It's the only white parts of the animal. I've already told you all that there are two species of badger hair comes from. The rest is just hand sorting and grading based on whatever qualities the manufacturer tells the knot maker to do.

9 2,988
 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-21-2012, 11:37 AM)freddy Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 11:12 AM)Teiste Wrote:

And this is a bad thing, Teiste? Huh

I havent said its a "bad thing",Freddy,but Lee's answer would give you a glimpse of what Im talking about.

86 7,123
 08-21-2012, 02:10 PM
User Info
Tweezerman brushes come to mind that would fall in this catagory, $10 brush, but many have purchased one and love them, not my cup of tea. YMMV and all that. Teiste, have you had the pleasure of reviewing a Plisson HMW vintage hair brush yet? I have an old AOS branded Plisson, it is a 3 band knot with a distinct brown band. Pure luxury. Knocks the socks off anything in production today IMHO. Funny how manufacturers jump on the band wagon when someone has a hit with a certain hair (Manchurian) hoping people will be sucked in by the name.

0 86
 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-21-2012, 02:10 PM)Slim-65 Wrote: Tweezerman brushes come to mind that would fall in this catagory, $10 brush, but many have purchased one and love them, not my cup of tea. YMMV and all that. Teiste, have you had the pleasure of reviewing a Plisson HMW vintage hair brush yet? I have an old AOS branded Plisson, it is a 3 band knot with a distinct brown band. Pure luxury. Knocks the socks off anything in production today IMHO. Funny how manufacturers jump on the band wagon when someone has a hit with a certain hair (Manchurian) hoping people will be sucked in by the name.

The vintage Plisson HWM 12 that Aaron sent me is a very good brush,but not for me.Perfect for bowl lathering,but not as good for facelathering with circular strokes,Im afraid.
I would like to see a pic of your AoS/Plisson shaving brush,if that could be possible.

86 7,123
 08-21-2012, 02:44 PM
User Info
(08-21-2012, 02:10 PM)Slim-65 Wrote: Tweezerman brushes come to mind that would fall in this catagory, $10 brush, but many have purchased one and love them, not my cup of tea. YMMV and all that. Teiste, have you had the pleasure of reviewing a Plisson HMW vintage hair brush yet? I have an old AOS branded Plisson, it is a 3 band knot with a distinct brown band. Pure luxury. Knocks the socks off anything in production today IMHO. Funny how manufacturers jump on the band wagon when someone has a hit with a certain hair (Manchurian) hoping people will be sucked in by the name.

To be fair to the FS, the Tweezerman's hair is aweful and sheds like crazy. FS only loses a few hairs per shave. Biggrin But... the Tweezerman does come in a decent wood handle (for the price).

Also, to be fair to the manufacturer, Ian Tang isn't advertising his as Manchurian. That's just a product of an overzealous ebay seller trying to penetrate the American market. The acrylic handle description was completely bogus too. Go figure.

9 2,988
 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
User Info

I have 3, two "finests" and one "short loft" silvertip. I like all three quite a lot and find them to be comparable to the TGN offerings in knot quality. My handles have held up well and while not as heavy and solid as Simpsons/Rooney/Shavemac and other premium brands, are better than many of my Omega and Vie-long handles. I also have and use Plisson HMW (2- and 3-band), Rooney Finest and Super, M&F, Simpsons in every hair grade they offer - including Mandarin, Thater (2- and 3-band), Shavemac D-01. . ., so I'm not speaking from a point of ignorance. The FS brushes I have are not competitive with most brushes at $75+ (but are better IMO than some in that range), but are worlds better than my Tweezerman and my EJ Best - typical "intro" recommended badger brushes. Mine were a very good value IMO, and they still get attention in my rotation.

0 419
 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM
User Info
(08-21-2012, 02:55 PM)nEver-Ready Wrote:

I have 3, two "finests" and one "short loft" silvertip. I like all three quite a lot and find them to be comparable to the TGN offerings in knot quality. My handles have held up well and while not as heavy and solid as Simpsons/Rooney/Shavemac and other premium brands, are better than many of my Omega and Vie-long handles. I also have and use Plisson HMW (2- and 3-band), Rooney Finest and Super, M&F, Simpsons in every hair grade they offer - including Mandarin, Thater (2- and 3-band), Shavemac D-01. . ., so I'm not speaking from a point of ignorance. The FS brushes I have are not competitive with most brushes at $75+ (but are better IMO than some in that range), but are worlds better than my Tweezerman and my EJ Best - typical "intro" recommended badger brushes. Mine were a very good value IMO, and they still get attention in my rotation.

A solid evaluation. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

I would agree. The tip softness is on par with TGN grade A.

However, you really need to hold this brush and you'll see what Teiste and I are talking about. It's not the regular resin handle, it's literally just plastic. It only weighs 30 grams? 40 grams? I wrote it on my review.

If you would like a go at it, let me know. I'm honestly done with it.

9 2,988
 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-21-2012, 03:13 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 02:55 PM)nEver-Ready Wrote:

A solid evaluation. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

I would agree. The tip softness is on par with TGN grade A.

However, you really need to hold this brush and you'll see what Teiste and I are talking about. It's not the regular resin handle, it's literally just plastic. It only weighs 30 grams? 40 grams? I wrote it on my review.

If you would like a go at it, let me know. I'm honestly done with it.

A PIF of this brush would be great.
This brush its not like other FS brushes : I have tried 3 (two finest,and one best badger).Those brushes had resin made handles (heavier) and the finest badger fan shaped FS that I own,its a much better brush than this one,whith softer tips and not floppy at all.
This one feels cheap (the handle),its floppy and a little bit scritchy on the tips.

86 7,123
 08-21-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
I put up a picture of my brushes in the collection forum, the Plisson is in the cabinet, you really can not see the 3 band in that picture, the brush needs a good cleaning to get the soap off it to see the brown band.

0 86