06-03-2017, 12:30 PM
  • Quando
  • A Diplomatic Immunity Zone
User Info
I got a new mug, today.  I am super-excited, about my shave, for tomorrow morning.  This is just a regular mug that says "I Love New York," but, with a Heart for the word "Love," and, the letters 'N', and, 'Y', for New York. 

So, yeah.  I also want a Darth Vader mug.  Actually, I want a mug for each "Star Wars" character, who was inspired by ancient mythology.

1 419
 06-03-2017, 07:34 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-03-2017, 12:30 PM)Quando Wrote: I got a new mug, today.  I am super-excited, about my shave, for tomorrow morning.  This is just a regular mug that says "I Love New York," but, with a Heart for the word "Love," and, the letters 'N', and, 'Y', for New York. 

So, yeah.  I also want a Darth Vader mug.  Actually, I want a mug for each "Star Wars" character, who was inspired by ancient mythology.

Actually, George Lucas, who wrote the script (literally) for the Star Wars series, has been unambiguous in stating that his series was based upon Japanese zhidai-geki (the equivalent of American Westerns) movies.  “Jedi” derives directly from zhidai, for instance.  

The “ancient” part of that dates back to about 1930.

0 1,005
 06-03-2017, 10:16 PM
User Info
A new mug (or scuttle, or brush, or razor, or soap, or...) is always cause for excitement in the den Biggrin

The characters in Star Wars, Japanese Jidaigeki (ALA-LC Romanization), Westerns, other films, literature, mythology and other oral traditions are pretty much all based upon the same basic archetypes.

3 4,253
 06-03-2017, 10:20 PM
User Info
Just curious...is your new mug "standard" size or something bigger that might withstand the rigors of our beloved lather making?

73 3,969
 06-04-2017, 03:44 AM
User Info
(06-03-2017, 10:20 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Just curious...is your new mug "standard" size or something bigger that might withstand the rigors of our beloved lather making?

I had the same thought.  I face lather now, but bowl lathered years ago.  For me, a standard size coffee mug was not optimal for bowl lathering.  Not wide enough and too tall.

Quando, how about a picture of your new mug?

41 5,113
 06-04-2017, 04:49 PM
  • Quando
User Info
(06-03-2017, 10:20 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Just curious...is your new mug "standard" size or something bigger that might withstand the rigors of our beloved lather making?

Standard.  There was a wider one, and, I thought about it, and, am going back to that same store, tomorrow. (It was only five dollars).  
(06-04-2017, 03:44 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:

I had the same thought.  I face lather now, but bowl lathered years ago.  For me, a standard size coffee mug was not optimal for bowl lathering.  Not wide enough and too tall.

Quando, how about a picture of your new mug?

Yeah, I found that out, too, the hard way.  The thing is, though, I had a couple of mugs, which I picked up last year, from this little ghetto dollar store, and, they worked fine.  This one is just a regular mug.  

I will post pictures of them, both, tomorrow.

1 419
 06-12-2017, 11:48 AM
  • Quando
User Info
Okay, so, that was a long day.  (Just kidding, I know it has been, at least, a week)

Here are some pictures!  [Image: 66RxwVx.jpg][Image: UMCFMSc.jpg]

1 419
 06-12-2017, 11:54 AM
User Info
The shape of the second is more suitable for bowl lathering , although it appears be too small to be optimal.

41 5,113
 06-12-2017, 11:55 AM
  • Puma
User Info
I've used oversized mugs that are a little wider than standard and done well enough, but it helps to have something with some ridges or bumps on the bottom. I am currently using a Latherwhip mug. It is still not as wide as a bowl, but I have no problem whipping up a good lather in it and I like that it is tall enough to keep the lather from escaping.

0 21