06-03-2017, 10:42 PM
User Info
Allright here goes.  I'm almost 57 years old.  Been shaving since '75.  Joined the "wet shaving" DE resurgence in 2013 with a Muhle R89.  Have since owned/acquired an ASD2, Two Fatip Grandes, numerous Techs both pre and post war Canadian and U.S., Long Comb NEWs both Canadian and U.S., 40's Superspeeds, '56 Superspeeds, and a Merkur 23c.  I've been a member of this and another large shaving forum since and have come to my own conclusions about DE razors.  Yes they are superior to over priced carts (for me).  Yes, there are better and worse soaps.  Personally, I don't find a big difference in blades.  Derbys work fine so I bought a thousand for about $70 bucks.  7 cents a blade.  Williams is cheap and poor quality.  Geo F. Trumper is expensive and poor quality.  Cella is a nice tallow soap and performs well.  Tabac is a nice tallow soap and performs equally well if not better and has matching fragrance based products in their line.  Beyond that, I can now get a perfect BBS shave with any razor.  Ya, ya gotta be careful with a Fatip.  Ya...an ASD2 is mild.  But at the end of the day (an over-used expression) the blade shaves your face not the razor.  All razor blades are sharp.  A lot of the debate of the minutiae of this gap vs. that gap, or handles, or blah blah blah is nonsense.  Traditional master barbers admit that hot towels and warm lather are for the comfort and luxury pampering experience of the client but that cold shaving is superior as it's the soap and water that prep and hydrate the beard hair, not the heat.  It's just shaving.  For the record though, I must use a post war Tech (to avoid the dreaded "blade chatter" that I've never experienced) and hold the razor at precisely 32.678 degrees with a Derby blade hand stropped on Levis brand denim while facing magnetic north and listening to Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas to achieve true BBS which only lasts twenty one minutes due to my extremely  sensitive skin and extremely  manly, very very coarse beard.   Cheers.

1 230
 06-03-2017, 11:14 PM
User Info
The blade shaves the face indeed; but some blades are better and some razors do a better job at holding the blade against your face. YMMV, and to some extent it's all about the journey and not the destination; hence the use of hot towels and scented lather.

I kind of wish Derbys worked for me, but other blades simply feels better on my skin using my razors.

3 4,670
 06-03-2017, 11:21 PM
User Info
Blades have different coatings, different cutting edges, bevels, thickness. I can definitely tell a difference between certain blades. Also some razors work best at a steep angle, other prefers a shallow angle. Blade exposure makes a big difference. Just make sure to shave responsibly.

11 196
 06-04-2017, 03:36 AM
User Info
You raise some interesting points which are likely to elicit agreements and disagreements.  What's most important is that as a result of experience, you have arrived at conclusions about what works best for you.  There are some exceptions, but generally I can get a good shave with most blades.  However, I notice distinct differences in the quality of a shave I get from different razors.

50 6,416
 06-04-2017, 05:52 AM
User Info
All faces are not created equal. I'm pretty sure I could distinguish a Derby from an Astra in my daily-driver (a British, Gillette, Ball-end, New I bought for $12.70 about six years ago) blindfolded. But I've never tried shaving blindfolded.

I definitely get different results from different razors. I bought and tried over 60 before settling on the NEW. Then I pretty much stopped buying and trying razors. I still leave some other lying about (e.g., a beloved British #21) just because I like to look at them. My NEW is butt-ugly. But it gets used for 99% of my shaves.

Shaving is just shaving. But for me, the best part of shaving happens between the ears. That's 100% subjective, and one person's experience doesn't necessarily predict another's.

That said, blood is not subjective, and I can often distinguish on that basis as well.

3 1,036
 06-04-2017, 06:02 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I've had similar (not the same) conclusions since wet shaving. 

Essentially, once you have learned the proper way to prepare your beard for shaving, along with proper technique, the other differences among hardware and software become small.

169 1,424
 06-04-2017, 07:43 AM
User Info
I always shave responsibly. I never shave and drive, for instance.  I've been on TSN for about three years and some of the stuff I read just cracks me up.  But I do enjoy this place and have learned tons and been exposed to grooming products I never knew existed.   Certainly, I can tell a Derby from a Feather.  And Tabac from Williams.  And I don't seem to like my Superspeeds as much as the older three piece models.   So my intent (not sure I had one really) wasn't to suggest that these differences don't exist but rather that they're not critical....or vital...or I'm unable to achieve without...unless.  I think it's good to step back and not take this quite so seriously.  I mean threads that have to be closed by a mod because they deteriorate in to arguing over something like 303 vs. 316 stainless. Really?  
   Having been a musician since I was about eight years old and throughout my life professionally I've noticed that most of the guys that have read every back issue of Guitar Player magazine and become manic gear nuts enjoy the vocation less, not more.  They're so busy going on about "oxygen free copper" in their cabling or this tube or that string gauge that they seldom become really strong players able to get out of playing in the garage or bedroom because they spend more time on researching then they do playing.  They find out pretty quick when they are introduced to studio work or a live gig that there really isn't time for their critical/vital/musthaveorIcan't stuff because it's a paying work environment and the show must go on.
   So for me personally, I get more or less the same results from any of the shave gear I've used. Yep, the key word there was personally.  I like some things more than others but nothing is a huge deal breaker that spoils my day because BBS wasn't perfect or a razor head is zamac.  And I enjoy this hobby or any of my other interests more when I don't descend in to rigid choices that require valiant defense lest my honor as a wet shaver-errant be slighted by contrary discourse.

1 230
 06-04-2017, 07:59 AM
User Info
You know what you like... that's all that counts.

73 4,338
 06-04-2017, 08:15 AM
User Info
Thanks Billy.  It really was meant to be lighthearted fun. Good-natured, not venomous. If others enjoy the hobby in a more in-depth way then that's great.

1 230
 06-04-2017, 08:47 AM
User Info
(06-03-2017, 10:42 PM)Laird Wrote: Allright here goes.  I'm almost 57 years old.  Been shaving since '75.  Joined the "wet shaving" DE resurgence in 2013 with a Muhle R89.  Have since owned/acquired an ASD2, Two Fatip Grandes, numerous Techs both pre and post war Canadian and U.S., Long Comb NEWs both Canadian and U.S., 40's Superspeeds, '56 Superspeeds, and a Merkur 23c.  I've been a member of this and another large shaving forum since and have come to my own conclusions about DE razors.  Yes they are superior to over priced carts (for me).  Yes, there are better and worse soaps.  Personally, I don't find a big difference in blades.  Derbys work fine so I bought a thousand for about $70 bucks.  7 cents a blade.  Williams is cheap and poor quality.  Geo F. Trumper is expensive and poor quality.  Cella is a nice tallow soap and performs well.  Tabac is a nice tallow soap and performs equally well if not better and has matching fragrance based products in their line.  Beyond that, I can now get a perfect BBS shave with any razor.  Ya, ya gotta be careful with a Fatip.  Ya...an ASD2 is mild.  But at the end of the day (an over-used expression) the blade shaves your face not the razor.  All razor blades are sharp.  A lot of the debate of the minutiae of this gap vs. that gap, or handles, or blah blah blah is nonsense.  Traditional master barbers admit that hot towels and warm lather are for the comfort and luxury pampering experience of the client but that cold shaving is superior as it's the soap and water that prep and hydrate the beard hair, not the heat.  It's just shaving.  For the record though, I must use a post war Tech (to avoid the dreaded "blade chatter" that I've never experienced) and hold the razor at precisely 32.678 degrees with a Derby blade hand stropped on Levis brand denim while facing magnetic north and listening to Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas to achieve true BBS which only lasts twenty one minutes due to my extremely  sensitive skin and extremely  manly, very very coarse beard.   Cheers.

Agree with most of what you have said.  One thing that I would add is that there are mild razors that reduce the risk of cuts that work really well for me

0 204
 06-04-2017, 09:59 AM
User Info
Any hobby can be enjoyed at multiple levels.  Whether it's razors, knives, guns, pens, watches, guitars, etc., there will always be gearheads who are into what others may consider minutiae. It's all good and everyone is welcome.  It's all about enjoying the activity in your particular way.

50 6,416
 06-04-2017, 10:18 AM
User Info
This sounds an awful lot like causal oversimplification. We see this in the media from time to time through sensational topics. E.G., they'll give a pro golfer a set of $50 clubs and film him crushing it on the course. One that made the rounds a few years ago was "The toy camera challenge" where they provide an expert photographer a child's camera, only to see them get some great shots. This leads to hasty generalizations: Gear doesn't matter! Technique is the only variable! You're wasting your money on equipment when it doesn't make a difference!

Except that's never the whole story, is it?

Pro golfers don't take $50 clubs to the masters. Expert photographers don't go on assignment with a toy camera or mobile phone. Mastery within a given craft means that one can reliably extract the utmost quality from each choice made in equipment. However, it doesn't mean that those choices are inconsequential

I applaud the OP for finding what works for him, but be wary of reducing the problem of a BBS shave down to one variable (the blade). 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_...ngle_cause

29 1,207
 06-04-2017, 10:47 AM
User Info
Nice and fair post, Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 4,338
 06-04-2017, 05:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(06-03-2017, 10:42 PM)Laird Wrote: For the record though, I must use a post war Tech (to avoid the dreaded "blade chatter" that I've never experienced) and hold the razor at precisely 32.678 degrees with a Derby blade hand stropped on Levis brand denim while facing magnetic north and listening to Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas to achieve true BBS which only lasts twenty one minutes due to my extremely  sensitive skin and extremely  manly, very very coarse beard.

ROFLMAO

7 2,357
 06-04-2017, 06:07 PM
User Info
(06-04-2017, 05:53 PM)chazt Wrote:
(06-03-2017, 10:42 PM)Laird Wrote: For the record though, I must use a post war Tech (to avoid the dreaded "blade chatter" that I've never experienced) and hold the razor at precisely 32.678 degrees with a Derby blade hand stropped on Levis brand denim while facing magnetic north and listening to Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas to achieve true BBS which only lasts twenty one minutes due to my extremely  sensitive skin and extremely  manly, very very coarse beard.

ROFLMAO

Charlie, I had to look up what that means!

50 6,416
 06-06-2017, 03:26 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(06-04-2017, 06:07 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 05:53 PM)chazt Wrote:

ROFLMAO

It's one of the few bits of www abrev-speak in my vocabulary, Ricardo Wink

7 2,357
 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
The comment about cold water vs hot water is not quite right. Whiskers absorb hot water significantly faster than cold water so to get the same amount of absorbtion you have to wait a little longer before you begin shaving, however I can find nothing that says a whisker will absorb MORE water if its hot.

7 2,359
 06-06-2017, 11:25 AM
User Info
(06-06-2017, 03:26 AM)chazt Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 06:07 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 05:53 PM)chazt Wrote: ROFLMAO

It's one of the few bits of www abrev-speak in my vocabulary, Ricardo Wink

Charlie, you're more current on the latest Internet lingo than I am!

50 6,416
 06-06-2017, 01:38 PM
User Info
Oh. O.K.

1 230
 06-18-2017, 07:22 PM
User Info
(06-04-2017, 10:18 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: This sounds an awful lot like causal oversimplification. We see this in the media from time to time through sensational topics. E.G., they'll give a pro golfer a set of $50 clubs and film him crushing it on the course. One that made the rounds a few years ago was "The toy camera challenge" where they provide an expert photographer a child's camera, only to see them get some great shots. This leads to hasty generalizations: Gear doesn't matter! Technique is the only variable! You're wasting your money on equipment when it doesn't make a difference!

Except that's never the whole story, is it?

Pro golfers don't take $50 clubs to the masters. Expert photographers don't go on assignment with a toy camera or mobile phone. Mastery within a given craft means that one can reliably extract the utmost quality from each choice made in equipment. However, it doesn't mean that those choices are inconsequential

I applaud the OP for finding what works for him, but be wary of reducing the problem of a BBS shave down to one variable (the blade). 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_...ngle_cause
Thanks for balancing out that Smug Dissmive
View of the OP, with some legit insight into 
Shaving Gear..

0 27