10-30-2017, 07:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-29-2017, 03:29 PM)Forbes/Hutton Wrote: I use a blade twice.
1) This can be the max I can get out of some blades, so instead of experimenting with a new blade (and more importantly, my face) I stick with this no matter what other people claim they get out of a given blade.
2) I can easily forget how many times a blade has been used. Using a blade twice takes all the guess work out, either the razor is empty when I start, so it gets a new blade, or it already has the blade in when I start, in which case the blade is tossed at the end of that shave. It's a really simple system and that's all about I can manage first thing in the morning, pre-coffee.

Although I mainly shave at night, I do much the same thing with my blade changes. With one exception, that being Med Preps, from which I can usually get 3, sometimes 4 shaves.

7 2,288
 11-02-2017, 07:37 PM
User Info
Usually I get seven shaves per blade. 

1 451
 11-02-2017, 07:54 PM
User Info
I shave as long as possible with a blade. I switch after getting a bad shave. Current I am using Voskhod. I can get 3 good shaves with it and then the 4th sucks. Gonna try one more time and then lock that blade in at 3 shaves. With others I can go 7 or more shaves without problem.

0 48
 11-03-2017, 01:10 AM
User Info
I get around 5 good shaves before changing blades .. i typically shave every other day and mostly use the Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge yellow blades while sometimes i will use a Astra SP or Polsilver SI blade to depending on the razor i use

29 335
 11-03-2017, 03:37 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I shave with straights 80 to 90% of the time.  When I use a double edge blade, I just pick one and load it.  The next time I use that razor if it has a blade in it I will use it and discard after the shave.  So two times per blade but sometimes weeks or even months between using fresh and the second use.

9 461
 11-07-2017, 06:56 PM
User Info
I shave 6-7 days a week, and generally change DE blades every Saturday.  

However, I have gone 2 weeks and the blade was still going strong. I know they can go much longer.

Just started using my first SE Injector, and am about to knock out shave number 5 tomorrow morning. Who knows how long I will go before I change the blade.

0 9
 11-08-2017, 02:38 PM
User Info
Three shaves and out.  With the price of blades as they are, I can't see going any longer.  In this manner, I know I will have a razor/blade that is ready to go.

22 759
 11-08-2017, 08:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-08-2017, 02:38 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: Three shaves and out.  With the price of blades as they are, I can't see going any longer.  In this manner, I know I will have a razor/blade that is ready to go.

Yes I agree. Blades are very inexpensive. Why suffer through the indignity of a bad shave? 2-3 shaves and tossed. Like I said though, Med Preps will give me 3-4 good shaves.

7 2,288
 11-13-2017, 06:26 AM
User Info
It is easy to fall into the trap of viewing a blade as finished after a specified number of shaves. Were all things equal, specified shave intervals&c , then it would make sense. Unfortunately, 5 shaves to me may mean 5 days beard growth (1dd/shave), 10 days beard growth (2dd/shave) or any combination and permutation thereof. I rely on stiction and pulling as indicators a known blade has seen better days v number of shaves.

0 44
 11-13-2017, 04:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-13-2017, 06:26 AM)DanLaw Wrote: It is easy to fall into the trap of viewing a blade as finished after a specified number of shaves. Were all things equal, specified shave intervals&c , then it would make sense. Unfortunately, 5 shaves to me may mean 5 days beard growth (1dd/shave), 10 days beard growth (2dd/shave) or any combination and permutation thereof. I rely on stiction and pulling as indicators a known blade has seen better days v number of shaves.

Dan, I don’t think anyone was making generalizations about all blades for all people. I was speaking only for myself, and I don’t feel trapped at all. I shave regularly, every evening; 6 per week, basically at 24 hour intervals, with the exception of Thursday night to Saturday morning and then Saturday morning to Sunday night which are approximately 36 hour intervals. I know my beard, skin and blades, and have determined what works best for me. My feeling is, why shave with a less than optimal blade? I don’t enjoy the feeling of a blade that pulls my whiskers and happily change blades before that occurs. As it’s been said many times before, YMMV.

7 2,288
 Today, 03:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
When using any of my blades except Personna 74s ( I only use vintage, I'm retired and disabled, it's  my one indulgence ) I start watching for signs that the end is coming on about the 10th shave now. I've yet to use a P74 to that point,  at a month a blade I  probably have enough to last the rest of my life and I just want to go with something else by that point.

7 2,351