10-30-2017, 07:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-29-2017, 03:29 PM)Forbes/Hutton Wrote: I use a blade twice.
1) This can be the max I can get out of some blades, so instead of experimenting with a new blade (and more importantly, my face) I stick with this no matter what other people claim they get out of a given blade.
2) I can easily forget how many times a blade has been used. Using a blade twice takes all the guess work out, either the razor is empty when I start, so it gets a new blade, or it already has the blade in when I start, in which case the blade is tossed at the end of that shave. It's a really simple system and that's all about I can manage first thing in the morning, pre-coffee.

Although I mainly shave at night, I do much the same thing with my blade changes. With one exception, that being Med Preps, from which I can usually get 3, sometimes 4 shaves.

7 2,357
 11-02-2017, 07:37 PM
User Info
Usually I get seven shaves per blade. 

1 456
 11-02-2017, 07:54 PM
User Info
I shave as long as possible with a blade. I switch after getting a bad shave. Current I am using Voskhod. I can get 3 good shaves with it and then the 4th sucks. Gonna try one more time and then lock that blade in at 3 shaves. With others I can go 7 or more shaves without problem.

1 51
 11-03-2017, 01:10 AM
User Info
I get around 5 good shaves before changing blades .. i typically shave every other day and mostly use the Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge yellow blades while sometimes i will use a Astra SP or Polsilver SI blade to depending on the razor i use

30 452
 11-03-2017, 03:37 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I shave with straights 80 to 90% of the time.  When I use a double edge blade, I just pick one and load it.  The next time I use that razor if it has a blade in it I will use it and discard after the shave.  So two times per blade but sometimes weeks or even months between using fresh and the second use.

9 462
 11-07-2017, 06:56 PM
  • knox
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Tennessee
User Info
I shave 6-7 days a week, and generally change DE blades every Saturday.  

However, I have gone 2 weeks and the blade was still going strong. I know they can go much longer.

Just started using my first SE Injector, and am about to knock out shave number 5 tomorrow morning. Who knows how long I will go before I change the blade.

0 9
 11-08-2017, 02:38 PM
User Info
Three shaves and out.  With the price of blades as they are, I can't see going any longer.  In this manner, I know I will have a razor/blade that is ready to go.

22 764
 11-08-2017, 08:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-08-2017, 02:38 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: Three shaves and out.  With the price of blades as they are, I can't see going any longer.  In this manner, I know I will have a razor/blade that is ready to go.

Yes I agree. Blades are very inexpensive. Why suffer through the indignity of a bad shave? 2-3 shaves and tossed. Like I said though, Med Preps will give me 3-4 good shaves.

7 2,357
 11-13-2017, 06:26 AM
User Info
It is easy to fall into the trap of viewing a blade as finished after a specified number of shaves. Were all things equal, specified shave intervals&c , then it would make sense. Unfortunately, 5 shaves to me may mean 5 days beard growth (1dd/shave), 10 days beard growth (2dd/shave) or any combination and permutation thereof. I rely on stiction and pulling as indicators a known blade has seen better days v number of shaves.

0 50
 11-13-2017, 04:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-13-2017, 06:26 AM)DanLaw Wrote: It is easy to fall into the trap of viewing a blade as finished after a specified number of shaves. Were all things equal, specified shave intervals&c , then it would make sense. Unfortunately, 5 shaves to me may mean 5 days beard growth (1dd/shave), 10 days beard growth (2dd/shave) or any combination and permutation thereof. I rely on stiction and pulling as indicators a known blade has seen better days v number of shaves.

Dan, I don’t think anyone was making generalizations about all blades for all people. I was speaking only for myself, and I don’t feel trapped at all. I shave regularly, every evening; 6 per week, basically at 24 hour intervals, with the exception of Thursday night to Saturday morning and then Saturday morning to Sunday night which are approximately 36 hour intervals. I know my beard, skin and blades, and have determined what works best for me. My feeling is, why shave with a less than optimal blade? I don’t enjoy the feeling of a blade that pulls my whiskers and happily change blades before that occurs. As it’s been said many times before, YMMV.

7 2,357
 11-20-2017, 03:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
When using any of my blades except Personna 74s ( I only use vintage, I'm retired and disabled, it's  my one indulgence ) I start watching for signs that the end is coming on about the 10th shave now. I've yet to use a P74 to that point,  at a month a blade I  probably have enough to last the rest of my life and I just want to go with something else by that point.

7 2,359
 11-21-2017, 03:41 AM
  • Roy
User Info
Two days max otherwise my skin suffers.

0 22
 11-21-2017, 10:09 AM
User Info
3 days max

0 10
 11-26-2017, 10:08 AM
User Info
Most of the time 3 days DE and 4/5 SE

Enviado do meu SM-N9005 através de Tapatalk

0 108
 12-01-2017, 04:36 AM
User Info
(11-07-2017, 06:56 PM)knox Wrote: I shave 6-7 days a week, and generally change DE blades every Saturday.  

However, I have gone 2 weeks and the blade was still going strong. I know they can go much longer.

Just started using my first SE Injector, and am about to knock out shave number 5 tomorrow morning. Who knows how long I will go before I change the blade.
I have gotten up to a months worth of smooth comfortable shaves out of an injector blade. The vintage Personnas are my favorite blade.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 633
 12-01-2017, 05:02 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
When I was a regular DE shaver, I used a different blade and a different razor for every shave, just like I use a different straight now.
As long as you have your technique down, and are familiar with the razor(s) you are using, and how they perform, then it should not be much of an issue.
But if you are really new, and are struggling to consistently find your angle, understand pressure, etc., stick to one razor and blade until you get all that down. MHO.

2 1,694
 12-03-2017, 01:37 PM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
I'll pick a blade and shave with it until it dulls. After that, I switch to whichever brand of blade I want. If you're switching between different brands of blades each time you shave, I would be surprised if there were any adverse effects from doing so.

0 50