06-05-2017, 12:38 PM
User Info
Hello all,

We are talking type or razors / blades here of course.  

What is your preference and why?  Which do you find leads to a more satisfying, irritation free (or at least minimal) shave?

I know this is a YMMV kind of question, just curious what you all think.

Thanks!

1 2
 06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-05-2017, 12:38 PM)Fawkes007 Wrote: Hello all,

We are talking type or razors / blades here of course.  

What is your preference and why?  Which do you find leads to a more satisfying, irritation free (or at least minimal) shave?

My opinion is that you paint a false dichotomy; “mild” is not the opposite of “efficient.”  

A very mild razor may also be a very efficient razor; the differences between a mild razor and an aggressive razor, then, lies not in the number of passes, because each can mow down as many whiskers, and as close to the skin, as the other, each pass, with the same number of strokes per pass.  Rather, the difference is in the care and skill incorporated in the hand that is holding the razor, because the angle of the dangle must constantly be adjusted as the edge of the blade is pulled across the beard, but the aoϑd must be more frequently adjusted per stroke for the mild razor than for the more bloodthirsty razor.

0 1,054
 06-05-2017, 02:52 PM
User Info
I always go with 3 passes. No matter how aggressive the razor is. 
For "best" results, you have to find what works best for you.

8 1,068
 06-05-2017, 07:21 PM
User Info
Remember the two guiding principles in traditional wetshaving; minimal pressure and YMMV Wink

I have to side with Mel, in that aggressive != efficient; to me aggressiveness is a measure of how likely the razor is to nip at you if you don't treat her right, while a mild razor is more forgiving when it comes to errors in angle of attack, speed of stroke and even the amount of pressure.

I'm a two-pass man myself - WTG and XTG - and this holds true for all my razors. The only razor that I need three passes with is the disposable BiC Sensitive.

3 4,374
 06-05-2017, 07:27 PM
User Info
I do 4 passes with a mild ATT SE1 as well as an aggressive H1. The former gives me a great shave that lasts half as long as the latter.

26 992
 06-05-2017, 07:40 PM
User Info
Importance for me starts with efficiency (this includes blade choice with certain razor), aggressiveness, smoothness, and if I can get 85% with an against the grain pass, then I can finis if I like with either a touch up pass on cheeks or a second across the grain pass.

Preferred razor is a BBS-1/Voshkod or a Muhle r41 (2011)/Kai.

79 1,298
 06-05-2017, 08:45 PM
User Info
My mildest razor is a Feather ASD2.  My most aggressive/effective is a Fatip Grande.  In between is a range of vintage Gillettes.  Old Types, 40's and Flare Tip Superspeeds, NEW Long Combs and Pre and Post War Techs.  For the longest time the milder ones did not perform well for me.  Only the Old Types, NEWs, and Fatip would get me to BBS.  Since starting DE shaving in 2013 and improving both prep and technique, all these razors now provide me with a BBS result.  I also agree with Mel.  Learning your own skin tolerance to how often you can shave and how many passes you need to get the result you're after (SAS,DFS, or BBS) will lead to the "right" razor for you.  Some guys can use a Fatip every day, but not me.  I can use any of my other  razors every day for a three pass WTG/XTG/ATG  BBS shave but lately it's been the NDC '46-'50 Fat handle Tech with any blade I have.  I use Feathers, Astras, Sharks, and even Derby. Yes Feathers seem to be the sharpest but I don't find Derby to be as dull as is frequently reported.  I also have some NOS Rexall branded carbon blades that certainly tug a little more than the modern stainless varieties but they're not dull.  Those blue carbon blades also give a great result.  So for me, the milder razors work well and offer more protection from razor burn. Multiple passes to get the shave you want aren't a problem when the angles and pressure have been dialed in by the user after some experience.  That's another reason to stick to the same setup for a while.  So you can tell what angles/pressure and direction of shaving stroke, to area and direction of beard growth will work the best without wondering if it was this razor or that blade or this soap or whatever.  There is a four letter acronym usually placed at this point.  I'll happily refrain from doing so.  Cheers.

1 223
 06-05-2017, 10:41 PM
User Info
(06-05-2017, 02:52 PM)lloydrm Wrote: I always go with 3 passes. No matter how aggressive the razor is. 
For "best" results, you have to find what works best for you.

This. I'll rotate the razors but almost never my routine of 3 passes. Sometimes though I do very light touch-up 4th pass to use up the remaining lather.

0 56
 06-06-2017, 05:07 AM
User Info
Everyday should be a new adventure. But I find I tend towards milder razors.

0 72
 06-06-2017, 05:44 AM
User Info
I tend to use more aggressive SE razors because I find that they give me a great shave with minimal fuss.

BUT, I use a fresh blade for a few shaves in a milder razor to break them in. The GEM SE SS ptfe coated blades I prefer are far too sharp if I use them in my aggressive razors for the first few shaves.

Edit: (I forgot the subject of the OP) I only make 2 1/3 passes.

32 6,445
 06-06-2017, 10:18 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I only do 2 passes with any razor, but I need less touch-up with more efficient razors. I also find that I get less irritation when I use razors with more blade feel. The feel of the blade helps me keep my concentration on my technique.

3 540