08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
Fatip Grande open comb razor in chrome.

After seeing that this razor is being sold here in the USA, I decided to purchase it. It was really an impulse buy. First thing I notice is the finish. I think that when they made this razor they must have missed a step. The one where they polish it to remove the burrs or any type of manufacturing dings, before it’s sent to be chromed. I’ve never seen a finish this flawed before. I removed the head to inspect it and I noticed that some of the chrome flaked off the bottom of the cap, near where the threads meet it.
Also when I polished it with a microfiber cloth to take it’s picture the cloth got caught on the little burrs at the base of the razor. I’ve had many razors from Weishi, Parker, Edwin Jagger, Merkur, Weber, and Ikon. None of them had this type of flawed finish. You may be able to overlook a little ding here and there, but something like this just looks like they don’t care about how the finished product looks.
I will shave with it tomorrow. Maybe it will be an amazing shave. But for now the finish leaves much to be desired.
[Image: 72764151.jpg]
[Image: 56857734.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 265
 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for your first impressions. It appears you received a flawed razor and that is too bad. I happen to have a gold grande for sale and its perfect with no loss of plating of anything your razor has. Looking forward to your first shaving experience.

100 12,439
 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM
User Info
Yeah the FaTip's finish is below even Merkur's. I have the grande in nickel, and while it isn't a work of art, it isn't as bad as yours sounds.

Irregardless, it's a great razor. Super-aggressive, but I'm sure you already knew that!

72 1,407
 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yeah, they are great, great shaver I mean. They are far from work of art though.

88 4,233
 08-21-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
Very effective razors, but the finish is terrible on them!

75 20,883
 08-21-2012, 11:03 PM
User Info
I got my Fatip from Phil about a year ago and the poor finish is the first thing I noticed. The second thing I noticed is what a kick a$$ shave it gives. Honestly.

I find it an excellent balance of aggression and smoothness. Think Charlie Sheen on downers. I also think it's more efficient than my BRW slant.

I hope you enjoy yours!

9 1,199
 08-22-2012, 05:45 AM
User Info
The FaTip in in my top three razors as far as performance, but I have $11 razors from India with a far better finish.

The handle leaves much to be desired, so I pair mine with either the iKon Bulldog or the Sabi T3 Stouty handle.

Great razor though, provides an effortless close and comfortable shave. I would shave as close as the 2011 R41, just 100 times more comfortable.

5 833
 08-22-2012, 06:11 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I must have been lucky with my Fatip finish.

100 12,439
 08-22-2012, 06:56 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I really enjoy my Fatip. What they lack in beauty they make up for in utility.

1 111
 08-22-2012, 07:04 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Me too. Not amazing but definitely passable without the flaws mentioned above. Mine is the chrome Grande.

(08-22-2012, 06:11 AM)slantman Wrote: I must have been lucky with my Fatip finish.

6 905
 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
If you end up liking the Fatip - but dislike the finish - the Joris will probably give you both the shave and finish that you are looking for. I have them both and the Joris is certainly in a different league finish wise, and the shave is pretty much identical; although the heavier Joris handle is a better match for me than the stock Fatips.

29 466
 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
This is a very good example of "Don't judge a book by it's cover" Although I'm still not happy with the finish, I must give it very high praise for its ability to shave. The FaTip excels at being efficient at mowing down whiskers. I paired it up with a Nacet Stailess blade and it was a wonderful combination. All it really took was 2 passes plus touch up and I was smooth as a baby's bottom, I applied alum, followed by some vigoroso, and proraso pre/post shave balm and I was flying high. I highly recommend this razor for anyone looking for an aggressive, yet effective shaver. It really is very good.

Thanks guys for commenting on my post. It seems like this razor is a winner in the shave department, even though it lacks in luster. We can pretty much agree that it's very good at what it's meant to do.

[Image: mg6532.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 265
 08-22-2012, 02:02 PM
User Info
Glad to see it worked out. I'm teetering on the edge of picking up one of these with a UFO handle and embracing the open comb side of life.

2 121
 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Glad to hear your first shave with the Fatip worked out well.

100 12,439
 08-23-2012, 08:07 PM
User Info
It is great that you are enjoying the shaves!

75 20,883