06-07-2017, 06:12 AM
User Info
So, do dentists still use shaving cream with those dental dams?

A really long time ago, I had a dentist who always used a dental dam. They’re those very thin square sheets of (I think) latex, to isolate the operative site—the tooth—from the rest of the mouth. To easily slide the sheet over the tooth, he used…are you ready?—shaving cream. Yup, he had a tube of Noxema handy, and rubbed a tiny bit around the hole he cut in the dam. It slid over the tooth much easier, he said. And, I could barely taste the Noxema.

Don’t know if dental dams are used any more. My current dentist doesn’t use them. I would think there is a dental product to make the sliding easier, but my old dentist preferred Noxema.

0 382
 06-07-2017, 07:00 AM
User Info
Dental dams are used - at least by my dentist - when there is a need to keep things clean (ie.: root canals and other such fun). Yet to see anyone using shaving cream to slide it on though.

3 4,373
 06-07-2017, 10:35 AM
User Info
I use dental dams on a daily basis in my dental practice. I've never heard of using shave cream to help. Honestly they're not too challenging to place anyway. But, next time in need to use one on a family member of mine, I might give a little shaving cream a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,196
 06-08-2017, 11:37 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My dentist as well as a dental surgeon or two have used the dental dam in my mouth occasionally over the years, buy none have ever mentioned shave cream. The concept makes sense, though. The stuff is slick and would obviously facilitate easy application.

4 1,915