06-09-2017, 08:10 PM
User Info
(06-09-2017, 07:54 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I can easily see why the chubby 2 has earned its revered status, its an excellent brush. I have a single paladin (lotus) and after just using it again tonight - have to agree with Primo, it's simply a superb brush. Morris and Forndran is within reach now that Lee Sabini and Doug Korn are collaborating, and these brushes are (sometimes inconsistent, but) quite nice. Shavemac would round out my top four - as I believe that Bernd produces very symmetrical and extensively customizable brushes of high quality. Simpson has released some intruiging new rod stock - so now is a nice time for chubby 2...

Mike, the collaboration is between Lee Sabini and Brad Sears.

87 21,180
 06-09-2017, 08:43 PM
User Info
(06-09-2017, 07:54 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I can easily see why the chubby 2 has earned its revered status, its an excellent brush. I have a single paladin (lotus) and after just using it again tonight - have to agree with Primo, it's simply a superb brush. Morris and Forndran is within reach now that Lee Sabini and Doug Korn are collaborating, and these brushes are (sometimes inconsistent, but) quite nice. Shavemac would round out my top four - as I believe that Bernd produces very symmetrical and extensively customizable brushes of high quality. Simpson has released some intruiging new rod stock - so now is a nice time for chubby 2...

[Image: pd1YUOw.jpg]

Chubby 2: Knot is great, handle is terrible, far too small and unergonomic IMHO

25 6,185
 06-10-2017, 07:25 AM
User Info
(06-09-2017, 08:10 PM)celestino Wrote:

Mike, the collaboration is between Lee Sabini and Brad Sears.

Thanks Celestino! Don't know how I mistyped that. Edited original post.

Claus - I certainly understand that the C2 handle doesn't work for you - but it's been well recieved by most people, most of the time. No one handle will work for everyone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

29 1,356
 12-26-2017, 01:25 PM
User Info
Simpson. No question. I only buy brushes from Makers that tie their own knots

3 812
 12-26-2017, 03:07 PM
User Info
Honestly, I got lucky and my Stirling Finest 26mm is as good as any brush that I have including a declaration 30mm, shavemac silvertip, M&F, or Paladin.  Haven't tried a Simpsons yet.

0 293
 12-26-2017, 03:36 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Hard choice. 

There is something about a hand-tied knot that appeals to my sensibilities. I do like Simpsons very much (apart from the Chubby #2 in Best) but after now experiencing a couple of vintage Plissons, I have to say the knot is absolutely superb IMHO. I cannot testify as to the merits or otherwise of the modern, or recent Plisson knot, and I have read mixed reviews. Then again, I wouldn't buy a modern Plisson in the hair that I'd prefer, simply because of the ENORMOUS cost. Plus Plisson don't seem to bother themselves with correspondence, etc. 

Everyone makes their own choice according to their preference, their means, their needs, and their aesthetic choices. 

De gustibus non est disputandum!!

0 1,961
 12-27-2017, 04:51 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Another option to consider is a Brad Sears turned handle stuffed with a shavemac hand-tied knot or a Lee Sabini hand-tied knot (an M&F). I have both and they are excellent. One is a Brad Sears Rubberset 200-style handle that Brad stuffed with a shavemac pure badger knot. The other is a Brad Sears Alibaba-style handle that Lee Sabini stuffed with his 3-band silvertip. I like Simpson brushes having owned a dozen or so. My favourite Simpson badger is best. I find the Simpson super knots too dense for my liking, but I have a Vulfix silvertip badger, which is Simpson super badger, but packed less densely, which I like very muc. My favourite Simpson is the Colonel X2L best. I’ve owned a Simpson Chubby best, but didn’t like it at all; way too dense, way too much backbone and too short a loft making it a lather hog of the first order with the face-feel of a brick of badger; also, the handle is as about as un-ergonomic a handle as I’ve come across. Among my 2-band sivertips my older Simpson Polo 8 2-band is about as nice as a 2-band can be, strangely enough.

8 995
 12-27-2017, 05:49 AM
  • jar
User Info
Why either or?  Both have interest.

0 252