08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
User Info
So I'm rather new to the SE scene and feel completely out of my element in regard to blade choice for my newly acquired SEs. It seems like variety of SE blades is not as great as that of DEs, but maybe that's a good thing as it narrows down the choices. I was able to find some SE blades locally at CVC (CVS branded blades); I'm assuming these are standard steel?

That being said what are you guys using(I know this is probably one of the biggest YMMV factors in shaving)? Is there much difference between the brands, coatings, stainless v. standard steel, etc.?

Thanks!

5 938
 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
User Info
GEM Stainless.

1 2,827
 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
How about also adding where you get them as well for any newbies to the scene.... Eusa_whistle

7 405
 08-21-2012, 05:57 PM
User Info
I prefer the carbon steel blades. Treet, PAL, Gem blue stars. I can find them local here in the 5 packs at several stores. If you use them it is best to dry them after use. Than again I dry the SS ones also.

1 55
 08-21-2012, 06:05 PM
User Info
(08-21-2012, 05:47 PM)krissy Wrote: How about also adding where you get them as well for any newbies to the scene.... Eusa_whistle

Gem Stainless
Amazon 4 packs of 10 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Gem-Personnal-Stai...less+steel

1 2,827
 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
Thank you kind Sirs and Mam!

In my hunting I came across the website below. Looks like it would be a good place to purchase if you are looking to buy in bulk.

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dis...hor1623602

5 938
 08-21-2012, 07:54 PM
User Info
Well, yes it's still YMMV, but not as much as with DE shaving. The blade choices are all pretty good.

First, any SE blade from Korea, form your fingers into a cross and back away from them. They're window scraper blades. Hardware store blades? More window scraper blades.

When I started with SE I got my blades from CVS and they are GEM carbon steel blades, and they were great. They simply require additional steps after the shave, and I don't need more steps. I like the shave not the hardware rituals. I admit it, it's all about me. Plus I store my blades in the shave cabinet (here) in the BathR' and there is humidity there. So carbon steel blades are a no-no for me unless I want to store them remotely, but that's not why I built the cabinet.

Today I use Ted Pella 121-3 blades and that translates to GEM SS ptfe coated triple facet blades. They can be had by the 200 from Ted Pella. The last 200 I bought cost me $50 shipped from CA to me in Maine. Pretty much anyone CONUS will have better shipping costs I think.

32 6,309
 08-21-2012, 11:33 PM
User Info
(08-21-2012, 07:54 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, yes it's still YMMV, but not as much as with DE shaving. The blade choices are all pretty good.

First, any SE blade from Korea, form your fingers into a cross and back away from them. They're window scraper blades. Hardware store blades? More window scraper blades.

When I started with SE I got my blades from CVS and they are GEM carbon steel blades, and they were great. They simply require additional steps after the shave, and I don't need more steps. I like the shave not the hardware rituals. I admit it, it's all about me. Plus I store my blades in the shave cabinet (here) in the BathR' and there is humidity there. So carbon steel blades are a no-no for me unless I want to store them remotely, but that's not why I built the cabinet.

Today I use Ted Pella 121-3 blades and that translates to GEM SS ptfe coated triple facet blades. They can be had by the 200 from Ted Pella. The last 200 I bought cost me $50 shipped from CA to me in Maine. Pretty much anyone CONUS will have better shipping costs I think.

Brian, what do you like about the ptfe coated blades v. the others you've tried?

5 938
 08-22-2012, 04:39 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
The ones I get from Walgreen's are stainless steel. They are labelled Gem and made by Personna if I am not mistaken and come in the black plastic holder.

I can't seem to find the carbon steel blades anywhere close to locally. I do read that these blades offer superior sharpness. I was sent two Treet blades so I will give them a try.

I also have the Ted Pella's (Shavetools, RB&More, direct from TP and other places carry them).

I find the Personna Gems very similar to the Ted Pella's thought I do feel that the TP's are a bit smoother on certain days. Tongue The sharpness is similar IMO.

I have stacks of vintage Gem blades that look to be perfect so far without any rust or other issues. Some of them say Stainless Steel on them, some don't. Some are in the white Gem blade holders and some, appearing much older are wrapped in thick, Gem labeled wrappers.
I'm not sure if they are SS. If anyone has further info on Gem's vintage blades, please let me know!

6 905
 08-22-2012, 05:31 AM
User Info
I personally prefer the CVS GEM Carbon blades (manufactured by American Safety Razor) over any blade that I have tried.

The Ted Pella's ate my face up. I had purchased 300 in a group buy and PIF'd them all.

5 833
 08-22-2012, 06:14 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Gem stainless purchased at Walgreens made by ARSCO and are for shaving.

100 12,447
 08-22-2012, 06:56 AM
User Info
Pella PTFE. Bought in bulk (200) almost a year ago & I still have well over 100 left. It's nice to get at least 5-7 shaves per blade!

31 7,914
 08-22-2012, 07:05 AM
User Info
In order of preference...

From what I understand, all of these are made by ASR - except the Feathers.

1. "Ted Pella" PTFE (teflon) stainless - available at their website and Razor blades and more. Some say these are identical to these at Walgreens: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/personn...41-product. Work well in Push Buttons, Micromatics, Damaskeenes, 1912s... anything with some heft.

Be careful when buying these in bulk. Make sure you are getting the same manufacturer's number (62-0165). I have gotten knock offs from amazon in open packaging that were good for paint scraping only - though they didn't rust.

2. Treet Carbon Steel available at Rite Aid. I find these to be among the sharpest, though they are carbon steel and will rust if not dried after use. Not a big deal. These work well for me in the Featherweight type razors.

3. GEM Blue Star - I can occasionally find these at mom and pop type places locally, or on the 'bay. Also carbon steel.

4. PAL Blues - I had found these at 'Bloom' markets about a year or so ago, but they seem to have dis-appeared. Some guys hate these, some like them. I found them OK.

5. CVS - from what I remember, these are OK blades, but it's been awhile, and I have a stockpile of Pellas, so, I'm unlikely to try them again anytime soon.

There are also the Feather SE blades that fit the Valet razors. If you can manage to add a spine to them, they are among the sharpest SE blades available. I'm told that you don't need to add a spine in Featherweight razors, though when I had some, I always did.

http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/conten...lades-5pcs

12 96
 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM
User Info
This seems weird...

It's my first week of SE shaving,started Saturday.I have been getting outstanding effortless shaves with a 1912 model Eveready and the Walgreens Gem Personna blades...Effective and quite smooth.

Yesterday I started to notice that no matter how loud that "buttering toast" feedback sounded I was only getting moderate whisker removal and immediately questioned my technique...

Today ? Man again...lot of noise but terrible whisker removal,thought I was losing my mind.Grabbed my Gillette OLD and zapped a spot just to make sure I was awake.Reluctantly I put a new blade in the Eveready and it started shaving again and it worked better than ever.

But barely 5 days out of an SE Bade ? I'm thinking it's because I'm also head shaving with the Eveready,but sure seemed like a real fall off the cliff drop in performance.

I'm going to limit my SE shaving only to my face and see what happens.

As for Stainless Steel and rust ? I left the GEM Personna SS blade in my razor for the past 5 days,I put it away after each shave after briefly running scalding hot tap water on my razor to clean it.When I pulled it out today not a speck of rust.,can't say that about the DE Stainless Steel blades I've used.

7 414
 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM
User Info
(08-22-2012, 07:59 AM)razorx Wrote: This seems weird...

It's my first week of SE shaving,started Saturday.I have been getting outstanding effortless shaves with a 1912 model Eveready and the Walgreens Gem Personna blades...Effective and quite smooth.

Yesterday I started to notice that no matter how loud that "buttering toast" feedback sounded I was only getting moderate whisker removal and immediately questioned my technique...

Today ? Man again...lot of noise but terrible whisker removal,thought I was losing my mind.Grabbed my Gillette OLD and zapped a spot just to make sure I was awake.Reluctantly I put a new blade in the Eveready and it started shaving again and it worked better than ever.

But barely 5 days out of an SE Bade ? I'm thinking it's because I'm also head shaving with the Eveready,but sure seemed like a real fall off the cliff drop in performance.

I'm going to limit my SE shaving only to my face and see what happens.

As for Stainless Steel and rust ? I left the GEM Personna SS blade in my razor for the past 5 days,I put it away after each shave after briefly running scalding hot tap water on my razor to clean it.When I pulled it out today not a speck of rust.,can't say that about the DE Stainless Steel blades I've used.

I think 5-7 shaves (face) is about the average for many people and SE blades. A few chosen ones can push to double digits on a single blade. Regarding rust on your SS blades, there shouldn't be any. It's the carbon blades that you have to take some extra care of to prevent premature rusting.

I'd suggest just face shaving as you mentioned or you can change your blade after the 3rd or 4th shave when also head shaving. I'd imagine a head shave (I don't do this so I don't know) is like another day of face shaving. So where I may get 10 shaves (face only) out of a blade, your 5 shaves (face & head) may be equivalent.

31 7,914
 08-22-2012, 12:32 PM
User Info
(08-22-2012, 08:08 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I think 5-7 shaves (face) is about the average for many people and SE blades. A few chosen ones can push to double digits on a single blade. Regarding rust on your SS blades, there shouldn't be any. It's the carbon blades that you have to take some extra care of to prevent premature rusting.

I'd suggest just face shaving as you mentioned or you can change your blade after the 3rd or 4th shave when also head shaving. I'd imagine a head shave (I don't do this so I don't know) is like another day of face shaving. So where I may get 10 shaves (face only) out of a blade, your 5 shaves (face & head) may be equivalent.

Thank you Brian,that makes sense,I think what threw me off was that I could seemingly push my DE Blades further shaving both face and head with the same razor,but I'll bet I was walking on thinner ice than I realized and thinking any deficits during DE shaves were attributable to other variables.

Good advise,I will use the SE for face shaving only,with any luck maybe I can change blades every Sunday.

About rust...There's none at all on the stainless steel GEM Personna SE blades,what I have seen is some rust stains on stainless steel DE blades.

Of course there's different grades of stainless steel,hold a decent sized magnet up to stainless steel DE blades and you can tell that despite the DE blades being labeled stainless steel,they still definitely have enough ferrous (iron) content that they can eventually show some rust.

Not sure if the stainless steel in GEM Personna's has less ferrous content or if it's a coating that's responsible,but nice that they show no signs of rust.

7 414
 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
User Info
(08-21-2012, 11:33 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Brian, what do you like about the ptfe coated blades v. the others you've tried?

You know it's a YMMV thing, right?

I like that they don't rust, I get shaves every bit as good as with the carbon steel blades w/o the additional steps, and I'm one of those few who gets double digit shaves from them. I think my record is 18 shaves and I've done that at least twice, 14 shaves is about average. I keep track on the blade wrapper. If anything I forget to make a hash mark, so I may actually get more shaves per blade.

I've only tried the GEM CS and SS blades. OK, other than vintage, and, well, just don't want to do that. You won't see the rust, but it'll be there, or it was for me. I've never used a vintage blade that came even close to being a good shave compared to a modern blade.

You've gotten a lot of good advice so far.

32 6,309
 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Anyone tried these, from connaught shaving: GEM Stainless Steel Coated

Are they any good?

7 858
 08-22-2012, 04:21 PM
User Info
(08-22-2012, 02:47 PM)Striky Wrote: Anyone tried these, from connaught shaving: GEM Stainless Steel Coated

Are they any good?

I think these are the same blades Brian was talking about above.

5 938
 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM
User Info
There are vendors carrying the TP 121-3 blades and you won't need to buy by the 100 or 200. I think Connaught is one doing so.

32 6,309