06-09-2017, 07:11 PM
User Info
For the past 7 or 8 years I had been 'out of the loop' as far as DE shavers go. When I got into this insanity 10 years ago I stuck with vintage Gillettes until I discovered the slant (twisted head) DEs and then if it wasn't a slant I wasn't interested. Finally got into straight razors a year or so later and was consumed with that up until about a year ago.

The Wolfman craze piqued my curiosity which led me to the Timeless, Blackbird, Wunderbar among others. So when I first heard of the DOC Stainless a week ago I jumped on it like a kangaroo. This razor is in a class with the 2011 Muhle R-41 for aggressiveness. Build quality is very good, and finish is not bad. Not on par with Wolfman of course, nor Timeless, but better than a Rockwell 6s. Maybe equal, or slightly behind a Blackbird machine finish. 
The pins that secure the blade are reminiscent of the Above the Tie, and loading it the way I do the Guerrilla, with the top cap pins up, insert blade, lay base plate on that, and thread the handle, works easily. Blade exposure was equal on my copy.

With the 3 1/2" (89mm) bomb tip handle balance is very good, and the razor handles comfortably for me. Plenty of blade exposure, gap, and feel with this one. I used a brand new Feather stainless and got a bbs 2 pass, irritation free effortless shave. I'm not sure if my technique has improved, or it it is the razor, but I didn't have that 'walking on eggs' feeling I used to get with the R-41. Regardless of the finish, this is such an exciting and satisfying shaver that any machine marks are easily ignored. Very happy with this razor. I can be confident that if I ever thin the herd this one is a keeper.

[Image: p1020855-jpg.13034]

[Image: p1020857-jpg.13037]

[Image: p1020859-jpg.13038]

7 235
 06-09-2017, 07:40 PM
User Info
Thank you for a well-written, thoughtful review. Do you mind speaking to the feel of the comb on this razor? I like open comb razors and have been eyeing this one for a while. Do you find the teeth relatively smooth or sharp as you're shaving? Are the teeth noticeable as a part of the feel of the shave or do the seem to blend into the head in a way that makes them feel natural to the shave?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 64
 06-09-2017, 08:04 PM
User Info
Love this razor. In my top 5 right now. I use a different handle on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 868
 06-10-2017, 03:47 AM
User Info
(06-09-2017, 07:40 PM)cyjazz Wrote: Thank you for a well-written, thoughtful review.  Do you mind speaking to the feel of the comb on this razor?  I like open comb razors and have been eyeing this one for a while.  Do you find the teeth relatively smooth or sharp as you're shaving?  Are the teeth noticeable as a part of the feel of the shave or do the seem to blend into the head in a way that makes them feel natural to the shave?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

For me they do seem to 'blend into the head in a way that makes them feel natural to the shave.' For a person who likes aggressive razors I'd say it is hard to beat.

7 235
 06-10-2017, 05:51 AM
User Info
(06-09-2017, 07:11 PM)JimmyH Wrote: For the past 7 or 8 years I had been 'out of the loop' as far as DE shavers go. When I got into this insanity 10 years ago I stuck with vintage Gillettes until I discovered the slant (twisted head) DEs and then if it wasn't a slant I wasn't interested. Finally got into straight razors a year or so later and was consumed with that up until about a year ago.

The Wolfman craze piqued my curiosity which led me to the Timeless, Blackbird, Wunderbar among others. So when I first heard of the DOC Stainless a week ago I jumped on it like a kangaroo. This razor is in a class with the 2011 Muhle R-41 for aggressiveness. Build quality is very good, and finish is not bad. Not on par with Wolfman of course, nor Timeless, but better than a Rockwell 6s. Maybe equal, or slightly behind a Blackbird machine finish. 
The pins that secure the blade are reminiscent of the Above the Tie, and loading it the way I do the Guerrilla, with the top cap pins up, insert blade, lay base plate on that, and thread the handle, works easily. Blade exposure was equal on my copy.

With the 3 1/2" (89mm) bomb tip handle balance is very good, and the razor handles comfortably for me. Plenty of blade exposure, gap, and feel with this one. I used a brand new Feather stainless and got a bbs 2 pass, irritation free effortless shave. I'm not sure if my technique has improved, or it it is the razor, but I didn't have that 'walking on eggs' feeling I used to get with the R-41. Regardless of the finish, this is such an exciting and satisfying shaver that any machine marks are easily ignored. Very happy with this razor. I can be confident that if I ever thin the herd this one is a keeper.
Agree with your review %100. Very aggressive razor, perhaps the most aggressive de I've ever owned. But the design, weight and balance are pretty much spot on. A 2 pass shave for me paired with a Kai blade is the norm with this razor. No irritation or razor burn of any kind.  Light touch and just guide the fall. Best post shave feel and longevity by any de in my den by a long shot. Tried it with a weeks worth of stubble once just to see, ate it up for breakfast. Not much love anywhere, very low key. Great razor though....

1 118
 06-10-2017, 06:16 AM
User Info
Thanks for the great review on a razor I haven't heard of. As an aggressive razor fan, this is now in the running for my next acquisition thanks to your write-up.
Happy shaving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 2
 06-10-2017, 06:35 AM
User Info
I honestly think that the ATT SE2 version 2 is more aggressive than this razor. I found this razor extremely efficient as opposed to aggressive. It's not for a beginning shaver. The experienced shaver will love this razor! It really is a work of art and I had the satin version of the non stainless steel DOC. That razor was not aggressive at all.

0 868
 06-10-2017, 07:56 AM
User Info
(06-10-2017, 06:35 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I honestly think that the ATT SE2 version 2 is more aggressive than this razor.  I found this razor extremely efficient as opposed to aggressive.  It's not for a beginning shaver.  The experienced shaver will love this razor!  It really is a work of art and I had the satin version of the non stainless steel DOC.  That razor was not aggressive at all.

I've got the Mongoose (build 2) which I consider on par with the 2011 R-41, and the ATT SE-1 which I got because a friend said it was as efficient as the Mongoose, but not as aggressive. I found it to be as he described and I like it very much. Definitely agree that the DOC is not for a beginning shaver. For the experienced who are into aggressive razors it works a treat though.

7 235
 06-10-2017, 11:17 AM
User Info
(06-10-2017, 06:35 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I honestly think that the ATT SE2 version 2 is more aggressive than this razor. I found this razor extremely efficient as opposed to aggressive. It's not for a beginning shaver. The experienced shaver will love this razor! It really is a work of art and I had the satin version of the non stainless steel DOC. That razor was not aggressive at all.

ATT SE2? Might be, I would have to take your word for it. But you're comparing apples to oranges here. One uses perhaps the sharpest blades ever made in the Artist Club style single edge compared to a de razor. Plus it will hold the ac blades more rigidly than a de razor would. Even though the EVO locks in the blade securely. Compared to another de, in my experience there are few that can equal it in aggression and efficiency.

1 118
 06-10-2017, 11:27 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(06-10-2017, 11:17 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 06:35 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I honestly think that the ATT SE2 version 2 is more aggressive than this razor.  I found this razor extremely efficient as opposed to aggressive.  It's not for a beginning shaver.  The experienced shaver will love this razor!  It really is a work of art and I had the satin version of the non stainless steel DOC.  That razor was not aggressive at all.

ATT SE2? Might be, I would have to take your word for it. But you're comparing apples to oranges here. One uses perhaps the sharpest blades ever made in the Artist Club style single edge compared to a de razor. Plus it will hold the ac blades more rigidly than a de razor would. Even though the EVO locks in the blade securely. Compared to another de, in my experience there are few that can equal it in aggression and efficiency.

I have both the DOC Evolution in stainless (and in aluminum), and the SE2 v.2. Indeed, apples and oranges but, to my face, the DOC is much more blade-forward and thus "feels" more aggressive. They both give incredibly close, long-lasting shaves. Along with the Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb, R41 2011, Ikon Tech, Timeless .95 open comb and Asylum RX, they are my favorite razors.

6 345
 06-10-2017, 11:57 AM
User Info
(06-10-2017, 11:27 AM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 11:17 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:

I have both the DOC Evolution in stainless (and in aluminum), and the SE2 v.2. Indeed, apples and oranges but, to my face, the DOC is much more blade-forward and thus "feels" more aggressive. They both give incredibly close, long-lasting shaves. Along with the Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb, R41 2011, Ikon Tech, Timeless .95 open comb and Asylum RX, they are my favorite razors.
I'll be darned! It's Gus.... Did not know you were here my friend. It's because of you that I have the EVO. And glad I took your advice. Good to see you here amigo....

1 118
 06-10-2017, 12:25 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(06-10-2017, 11:57 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 11:27 AM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 11:17 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote: ATT SE2? Might be, I would have to take your word for it. But you're comparing apples to oranges here. One uses perhaps the sharpest blades ever made in the Artist Club style single edge compared to a de razor. Plus it will hold the ac blades more rigidly than a de razor would. Even though the EVO locks in the blade securely. Compared to another de, in my experience there are few that can equal it in aggression and efficiency.

I'll be darned! It's Gus.... Did not know you were here my friend. It's because of you that I have the EVO. And glad I took your advice. Good to see you here amigo....

Hey, Gus!

By the way, I'm planning to get those samples in the mail on Monday...

6 345
 06-10-2017, 12:29 PM
User Info
(06-10-2017, 12:25 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 11:57 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 11:27 AM)pbrmhl Wrote: I have both the DOC Evolution in stainless (and in aluminum), and the SE2 v.2. Indeed, apples and oranges but, to my face, the DOC is much more blade-forward and thus "feels" more aggressive. They both give incredibly close, long-lasting shaves. Along with the Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb, R41 2011, Ikon Tech, Timeless .95 open comb and Asylum RX, they are my favorite razors.

Hey, Gus!

By the way, I'm planning to get those samples in the mail on Monday...

No worries....

1 118