06-10-2017, 06:11 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Has anyone used these, or, heard of them?

I picked up a pack, yesterday.  $8.00 was more than I wanted to spend, on them, but, they were unmarked, and, I had already paid, by the time I noticed the price, on the receipt.  

I am going to try one, tomorrow afternoon, for my second shave.

1 589
 06-10-2017, 06:12 PM
User Info
Picture please?  Where are these made?

51 6,459
 06-10-2017, 06:19 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Seems spendy? These have been around a while and likely are rebranded from a common manufacturer.

61 4,645
 06-11-2017, 01:59 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(06-10-2017, 06:19 PM)eengler Wrote: Seems spendy? These have been around a while and likely are rebranded from a common manufacturer.

Yeah, I doubt I shall ever return to this pharmacy.  It is a pretty famous one, too.

1 589
 06-11-2017, 02:00 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
 06-11-2017, 03:52 AM
User Info
Thanks for the picture.  Does the back of the package indicate where they are made?  They don't seem to be rebranded Personna, which are the most commonly found.

51 6,459
 06-11-2017, 05:22 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(06-11-2017, 03:52 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thanks for the picture.  Does the back of the package indicate where they are made?  They don't seem to be rebranded Personna, which are the most commonly found.

The back was blank, except the barcode.  The front is marked 'Solingen,' so, I think they are from there.  There are lots of razor blades, and, other cutlery, being produced there.  Solingen is an industrial estate/suburb of Düsseldorf, Nordhein-Westfallen, Bundesrepublik Deutschland.  Them being made there is the most likely answer.  

This is twice, though, I have been floored by the arrogance of posters on this site.  I think it really must be an American thing, to assume you know everything, based only on elementary details.

1 589
 06-11-2017, 05:25 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(06-10-2017, 06:19 PM)eengler Wrote: Seems spendy? These have been around a while and likely are rebranded from a common manufacturer.

Now that I think of it, I would be, greatly, surprised, if these were rebranded.  They might be similar to Timor razor blades, since they are made in the same town, but, I doubt, very highly, they would be, given the immense industry in Solingen.  They might use the same CM, but, I would think the patents, etc. would all be different.

1 589
 06-11-2017, 05:31 AM
User Info
(06-11-2017, 05:25 AM)Quando Wrote:

Now that I think of it, I would be, greatly, surprised, if these were rebranded.  They might be similar to Timor razor blades, since they are made in the same town, but, I doubt, very highly, they would be, given the immense industry in Solingen.  They might use the same CM, but, I would think the patents, etc. would all be different.

AFAIK all the patents on DE blades expired a very long time ago, with the possible exception of coating techniques and materials.

There is sadly only a few manufacturers left of DE blades, since carts have all but taken over the market. Even wildly different brands sometimes comes of the same production line... only differing in said coatings.

3 4,685
 06-11-2017, 11:26 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(06-11-2017, 05:31 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(06-11-2017, 05:25 AM)Quando Wrote:

AFAIK all the patents on DE blades expired a very long time ago, with the possible exception of coating techniques and materials.

There is sadly only a few manufacturers left of DE blades, since carts have all but taken over the market. Even wildly different brands sometimes comes of the same production line... only differing in said coatings.

Okay, so, by your own admission, the patents would still be different.  

Also, as I said, previously, even if they have the same Contract Manufacturer (CM, the factory that makes them), they would still be made differently.  I think, you are arguing, for the sake of it. 

This is childish, and, I will have no part in it.

1 589
 06-11-2017, 11:29 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
These blades were excellent, by the way.  Very sharp, and, smoother than I expected.  Between the placard with the brand-name, and, the actual blades, was another placard, bearing the image of a razor. 

Here is a photo.  [Image: 5cnrQdO.jpg]

1 589
 06-11-2017, 11:44 AM
User Info
(06-11-2017, 11:26 AM)Quando Wrote:
(06-11-2017, 05:31 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(06-11-2017, 05:25 AM)Quando Wrote: Now that I think of it, I would be, greatly, surprised, if these were rebranded.  They might be similar to Timor razor blades, since they are made in the same town, but, I doubt, very highly, they would be, given the immense industry in Solingen.  They might use the same CM, but, I would think the patents, etc. would all be different.

Okay, so, by your own admission, the patents would still be different.  

Also, as I said, previously, even if they have the same Contract Manufacturer (CM, the factory that makes them), they would still be made differently.  I think, you are arguing, for the sake of it. 

This is childish, and, I will have no part in it.

Possible exception - most of these blades and coatings have been in production for longer than the typical patent protection period.

3 4,685
 06-12-2017, 04:25 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I had some Fresh blades. I found them fairly sharp but not very smooth. I tried a couple and gave the rest to a co worker. He said he really liked them and they worked fine for him. That being said, i dont think he likes them enough to buy more.

0 360
 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(06-12-2017, 04:25 PM)naiyor Wrote: I had some Fresh blades. I found them fairly sharp but not very smooth. I tried a couple and gave the rest to a co worker. He said he really liked them and they worked fine for him. That being said, i dont think he likes them enough to buy more.

That is about how I feel about them.  They are sharp, smooth enough, but, not the smoothest.  Still, smoother than I thought they would be, though.  Also, I really like them, but, at $8.00/pack = 80 cents per blade, there are better options, on the market.  

By-the-by, mine are blank.  Nothing printed on the actual blade, at all.

1 589
 06-13-2017, 04:53 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(06-13-2017, 04:26 PM)Quando Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 04:25 PM)naiyor Wrote: I had some Fresh blades. I found them fairly sharp but not very smooth. I tried a couple and gave the rest to a co worker. He said he really liked them and they worked fine for him. That being said, i dont think he likes them enough to buy more.

That is about how I feel about them.  They are sharp, smooth enough, but, not the smoothest.  Still, smoother than I thought they would be, though.  Also, I really like them, but, at $8.00/pack = 80 cents per blade, there are better options, on the market.  

I should mention that mine were completely blank also.

0 360
 06-14-2017, 05:56 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(06-13-2017, 04:53 PM)naiyor Wrote:
(06-13-2017, 04:26 PM)Quando Wrote:

I should mention that mine were completely blank also.

Okay, cool.  I really dig them.

1 589