08-21-2012, 08:50 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I dont know much about Morris and Fondran brushes would love to hear how everybody feels about them, what grades of hair do they offer? And also where can i buy one i see lots of pictures of cool custom and nice looking butterscotch handles but cant find them anywhere i,ve checked ebay(a lot),classic shaving has a couple small white ones? Pics would be great too!!

Thanks
Toby

115 1,692
 08-21-2012, 08:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried/owned 4 blonde badger hair brushes,and tried a super badger 3 band brush.
The first batch of blonde badger was the best one offered by M&F.The first two M&F blonde badger brushes (one horn,the other 1/2 style) had a super soft tips as well as a great backbone.The other 2 blonde badger had scritchier hair and the backbone wasn't than firm.
The super badger 3 band was a great shaving brush : super,extra soft,luxurious tips,extremely well packed of hair and excellent flow and backbone.
Its a good brand to get brushes from (I mean,Mr Lee Sabini),if you dont mind not to know where are really being made...

86 7,123
 08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
(08-21-2012, 08:56 PM)Teiste Wrote: I have tried/owned 4 blonde badger hair brushes,and tried a super badger 3 band brush.
The first batch of blonde badger was the best one offered by M&F.The first two M&F blonde badger brushes (one horn,the other 1/2 style) had a super soft tips as well as a great backbone.The other 2 blonde badger had scritchier hair and the backbone wasn't than firm.
The super badger 3 band was a great shaving brush : super,extra soft,luxurious tips,extremely well packed of hair and excellent flow and backbone.
Its a good brand to get brushes from (I mean,Mr Lee Sabini),if you dont mind not to know where are really being made...
Im curious where are they made

115 1,692
 08-21-2012, 11:37 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-21-2012, 09:06 PM)Triad Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 08:56 PM)Teiste Wrote: I have tried/owned 4 blonde badger hair brushes,and tried a super badger 3 band brush.
Im curious where are they made

Thats the thing,nobody really knows,even when Mr Lee Sabini lives in UK,no proof/evidence that the whole brush is made in UK,as Edwin Jagger or Vulfix/Simpson brushes are.

86 7,123
 08-22-2012, 12:02 AM
User Info
I've spoken with Lee several times on the phone and I can tell you the brushes are made in the UK in his shop. I've had them customized extensively and I have seen pictures as they are being made from the shop coming from his personal iPhone. He does have an employee that makes brushes with him as well. He gets the hair and handle material from around the world.

52 476
 08-22-2012, 12:39 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
Teiste, I think you are messing this up with Rooney! Morris and Forndran brushes are made by Lee Sabini. Custom made brushes aren't a problem, contrary to Rooney.

And Edwin Jagger brushes? They are making the handles, but the heads are made by Mühle.

0 229
 08-22-2012, 12:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-22-2012, 12:39 AM)Elbe Wrote: Teiste, I think you are messing this up with Rooney! Morris and Forndran brushes are made by Lee Sabini. Custom made brushes aren't a problem, contrary to Rooney.

And Edwin Jagger brushes? They are making the handles, but the heads are made by Mühle.

No my friend,the same thing applies to Rooney...where is the Rooney located in UK? and where Mr Lee Sabini makes his brushes?On his garage,the basement?...Customs aren't a problem if a third party makes for you the handles...

Yes,you are right : Edwin Jagger makes handles for its own brand and get the Muhle badger knots.The same with Muhle,which get some of its handles from Edwin Jagger.

86 7,123
 08-22-2012, 12:49 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-22-2012, 12:02 AM)squatzilla801 Wrote: I've spoken with Lee several times on the phone and I can tell you the brushes are made in the UK in his shop. I've had them customized extensively and I have seen pictures as they are being made from the shop coming from his personal iPhone. He does have an employee that makes brushes with him as well. He gets the hair and handle material from around the world.

Well,I guess that hes making the handles on the basement of his house,or his garage,since no evidence of his "factory" in UK have ever been revealed.
This whole "speculation" could be solved by Mr Lee Sabini, letting us know where is his "factory" located,the same with Rooney.Something is telling me that is not gonna happen anytime soon.
Edit : I know that a good member here (and friend) met Mr Lee Sanini in person,during one of his trips to UK.I hope he can pop up and bring more info about this,Im sure he knows.
And its not my intention to hickjack this thread,since the OP question was about the quality/performance of the brushes,no where are they made,so I do apologize.

86 7,123
 08-22-2012, 01:23 AM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
I'm very pleased with mine...

Attached Files Image(s)

7 243
 08-22-2012, 02:25 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(08-22-2012, 12:47 AM)Teiste Wrote: No my friend,the same thing applies to Rooney...where is the Rooney located in UK? and where Mr Lee Sabini makes his brushes?On his garage,the basement?...Customs aren't a problem if a third party makes for you the handles...

Hmm. I agree with you, that it is strange, that we know nothing about their "manufacturing plant", both Rooney as well as M&F. Might be, that supplier A is delivering the handles, supplier B (most likely a chinese company) the knots and all they do is to glue the knots in the handles and sell them to the customer. I never thought, that that might be M&F's business model, but who knows? Interesting thought!

0 229
 08-22-2012, 03:21 AM
User Info
Im subscribed to this thread. From what Ive read of the majority, the quality/value of his brushes are fantastic. Of course Ive also read that certain people have had quality issues, but more importantly "customer service" issues. I believe because Lee is a one or two man operation- hes a bit hard to get in touch with. I'm not sure it was ever intended to make us believe there was ever such a "factory"... In fact im pretty sure Lee makes them right out of his house or shares space with another UK factory as a majority of the business is custom models as to why they take several weeks if not months to be delivered.

9 333
 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM
User Info
My 1/2 blonde 2 band is my favorite brush. I don't care where it was made because it is quite well made and performs all the functions of a shaving brush very admirably.

15 762
 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gentlemen : sorry about hickjacking this thread and lets go back about the quality and performance of the brushes.
As I said,the first batch of blonde badger hair was one of the best two band badger hairs I have ever tried (I also regret that I sold them,thinking that next batches were going to be the same,and werent).
The super badger brush (proto) that Andrew has is another SUPERB one,reminding me of the KIM SON VU silvertip hair : extra soft,extremely packed and very luxurious.
The quality is there,and I never experience problems of shedding,I have to be honest.

86 7,123
 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
User Info
I like my 1/2 so much that I jumped at the chance to buy an unused Super from a member here. I used it for the second time today and this brush is a dandy. The knot is roughly 28X47 and the the tips are very soft with just a hint of scritch. It's a big face lathering machine that annihilates soaps in its path. This brush makes great lather. These are pre-bloom pics. The handle color is apparently called Moonjava, and I first spotted one in Bruce's den.

15 762
 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Where is Ben74 to talk about his Morris and Forndran brushes?Biggrin
Ben,come on,dont be shy!Wink

86 7,123
 08-22-2012, 05:39 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am the outlier...I have had three m&f brushes and did not care for them . I also am not a Rooney fan. They are high quality brushes for sure but I prefer better flow through.

45 16,298
 08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
(08-22-2012, 05:39 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I am the outlier...I have had three m&f brushes and did not care for them . I also am not a Rooney fan. They are high quality brushes for sure but I prefer better flow through.

How do you feel about Chubby/D01 hair?

9 2,988
 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-22-2012, 06:07 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 05:39 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I am the outlier...I have had three m&f brushes and did not care for them . I also am not a Rooney fan. They are high quality brushes for sure but I prefer better flow through.

I really like the shavemac D01 hair a lot. The Simpson chubby with 2 band badger is also great

45 16,298
 08-22-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
(08-22-2012, 05:19 PM)Teiste Wrote: Where is Ben74 to talk about his Morris and Forndran brushes?Biggrin
Ben,come on,dont be shy!Wink

Luring the badger lover out of his lair ... hmm.

1 2,827
 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM
User Info
(08-22-2012, 06:12 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 06:07 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

I really like the shavemac D01 hair a lot. The Simpson chubby with 2 band badger is also great

Interesting. My BB is still enroute.

*curses the boat sailing from Australia for being so slow* Angry

9 2,988