07-11-2017, 04:32 PM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(06-21-2017, 05:37 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Wow, Quando! How did you almost die?  Being a South Texas native, I certainly know heat.

I passed out, twice, on the Ole Miss campus.  The second time, I woke up, in the hospital.  I was walking from the Music Dept. back to the house, and, the guy on the golf cart refused to take me, so, I had to walk.  I made it to the Science Building.  I walked inside, to cool down.  I remember speaking to someone, a professor, I think, but that was it.  

I had transferred in, and, they were pretty adamant I transfer back out, right away.  So, I did.  Back north, with this Yankee.  I, absolutely, love the Confederate States, but, how you guys can handle it, down there, with the heat, is beyond me.

1 515
 07-11-2017, 05:24 PM
User Info
I like the heat and I can even tolerate humidity. I need to get away from the northeast winters though.

0 73
 07-12-2017, 05:59 AM
User Info
Quando, I know what you mean about the southern heat.

A few decades ago we had an express delivery of southern heat and humidity into Maine. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had a few days off and wanted to do some light work outside. I knew that it would be touch and go because it was 100°F with 100% humidity. I had never seen fog midday on a sunny day before that. I would go outside and in 10-15 minutes I would be drenched from sweat. I'd retreat indoors to the A/C to cool and dry off so that I could get another few minutes of work in. I was working nights during part of that and as I sleeping through the day we had a dog die, probably due to the heat.

I couldn't tolerate that sort of weather at all. But I've also been down south in the summer and it was gorgeous so I suppose it comes and goes. That was at Curritunk Sound NC and not what I would call the deep south.

32 6,421
 07-12-2017, 07:35 AM
User Info
Nashville, TN here and it just hits you right in the face as soon as you open the door to go outside.  I guess if you are born here (South), you are just acclimated to it.

13 450
 07-12-2017, 07:48 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-12-2017, 07:35 AM)22bulldog Wrote: Nashville, TN here and it just hits you right in the face as soon as you open the door to go outside.  I guess if you are born here (South), you are just acclimated to it.

I never did acclimate to high heat and humidity even though I grew up within the Tropic of Capricorn.  I worked in Hong Kong for several years and in Houston for 10 years and literally hibernated inside during the summers.  On the other hand, my wife, who grew up in southwest England, loves heat and humidity and was in her element in a Houston summer.

5 869
 07-13-2017, 08:04 AM
User Info
Heat index with humidity today 105+.  Days like this I ask is it January yet?  Give me 20-30 deg with a fire going in the fireplace and I'm a happy man!

0 47
 07-15-2017, 07:13 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I don't mind high temps outdoors during the summer. As long as the central air is on when I come home.

My one experience with too much heat was during the summer of '68. The doctor told my folks to put me in an ice bath and have me drink a lot of water. I vaguely remember eating a bunch of well salted tomatoes...

4 1,815
 07-15-2017, 07:36 AM
User Info
(07-11-2017, 04:32 PM)Quando Wrote:
(06-21-2017, 05:37 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Wow, Quando! How did you almost die?  Being a South Texas native, I certainly know heat.

I passed out, twice, on the Ole Miss campus.  The second time, I woke up, in the hospital.  I was walking from the Music Dept. back to the house, and, the guy on the golf cart refused to take me, so, I had to walk.  I made it to the Science Building.  I walked inside, to cool down.  I remember speaking to someone, a professor, I think, but that was it.  

I had transferred in, and, they were pretty adamant I transfer back out, right away.  So, I did.  Back north, with this Yankee.  I, absolutely, love the Confederate States, but, how you guys can handle it, down there, with the heat, is beyond me.
Poor Quando! He certainly has his adventures! 

1 388