06-11-2017, 07:55 PM
User Info
Hi,
      What's the difference between an aftershave and a cologne anyway?
Thanks

0 69
 06-11-2017, 08:45 PM
User Info
After shave: Milder less alcohol content, used to calm & relax the shaved area. Mainly applied on the shaved area.

Cologne: Used to smell good ONLY, higher alcohol content, longer lasting scent (usually). Applied to all areas of the body, but preferably not to the facial area, because of the higher alcohol content, yet some still like to use it on that area anyway (my father is guilty of that). Cologne comes in EDC, EDT and EDP - EDC is less potent, EDT more potent and EDP the most potent.

24 5,767
 06-12-2017, 08:40 PM
User Info
Cologne is a concentration of fragrance. Historically about the same as aftershave actually. It's a very light scent. Basically a body spray for the most part.

In modern usage, cologne refers to any fragrance for men. EdP, EdC, EdT, etc. Which is to say that it's sole purpose is to make you smell good. It is only alcohol and fragrance. Sometimes water & coloring.

Aftershave is historically a tonic meant to both help you smell good and invigorate, sanitize, & in general make you feel good.

In modern times, aftershave is a watered down version of it's historical forebear. Stuff like Brut is basically just mentholated EdC. Artisan aftershave is more like the stuff you think of when you think aftershave.

9 3,024
 06-12-2017, 08:46 PM
User Info
(06-11-2017, 08:45 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: After shave: Milder less alcohol content, used to calm & relax the shaved area. Mainly applied on the shaved area.

Cologne: Used to smell good ONLY, higher alcohol content, longer lasting scent (usually). Applied to all areas of the body, but preferably not to the facial area, because of the higher alcohol content, yet some still like to use it on that area anyway (my father is guilty of that). Cologne comes in EDC, EDT and EDP - EDC is less potent, EDT more potent and EDP the most potent.

Thanks for the explanation. 
Aren't colognes usually a proprietary blend of synthetic ingredients? Also; how do they compare to aftershaves in this respect?
I assume by "potent" you mean "strong smelling"?

0 69
 06-13-2017, 12:33 AM
User Info
(06-12-2017, 08:46 PM)punchy Wrote:
(06-11-2017, 08:45 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: After shave: Milder less alcohol content, used to calm & relax the shaved area. Mainly applied on the shaved area.

Thanks for the explanation. 
Aren't colognes usually a proprietary blend of synthetic ingredients? Also; how do they compare to aftershaves in this respect?
I assume by "potent" you mean "strong smelling"?

I take it by Cologne you mean fragrances.

In Europe we call it a fragrance.

Sometimes in the US a fragrance is called a Cologne for some weird reason.

Cologne comes from where it was originally made, the German city Köln, Cologne. Cologne is originally made of natural citrus and herb extracts oils.

Potent means strong scented and longer lasting.

I've been into fragrances since I was 13, now in my mid 40's.
My first fragrance was 4711, the original Cologne. 4711 was the house number where it was made in Köln, Germany in the year 1709.

You may find synthetic ingredients in many fragrances today.
Synthetic is not always bad in fragrances. Sometimes it's actually better than having natural essential oils, especially if you are allergic.

24 5,767
 06-13-2017, 08:18 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Just for Your Reference
Aftershaves: 1-3% perfume oil $ (1-2 hour longevity )
EdC: 2-8% perfume Oils $$ (2-3 hrs)
EdT: 5-15% $$$ (3-8 hrs)
Parfum: 10-20% $$$$ (6-12 hrs or longer)
Extracts: 40% $$$$$ (over 12 hrs )
Attar: 100 % $$$$$$$$$ (12hrs +++)

8 607