06-12-2017, 08:56 AM
User Info
I have a large Moss scuttle by Sara Bonnyman, the first scuttle I got, which I like a lot but which does not keep the water as warm as do my Georgetown Pottery scuttles because it does not have a stopper.  The hole for filling the reservoir is not round, which makes finding or fashioning a stopper problematic.  Its dimension are approximately 42mm width by 19mm top depth tapering down to about 12mm.  I have thought about getting a very large rubber plug and cutting it to fit, but I'm not confident that it would fit tightly enough.  Does anyone here have any suggestions for a stopper for this scuttle?  TIA.

[Image: 57HQcWH.jpg][Image: zPZk2G0.jpg]

205 12,145
 06-12-2017, 09:03 AM
User Info
John, why not try to cut a piece of cork down to size?  By nature, it would comply to the surrounding surface if you taper and trim it to be a tiny bit larger than the opening into the water reservoir.  Pretty sure the craft stores would have a piece large enough and for not a lot of money.  Good luck!

73 3,969
 06-12-2017, 09:07 AM
User Info
(06-12-2017, 09:03 AM)TexBilly Wrote: John, why not try to cut a piece of cork down to size?  By nature, it would comply to the surrounding surface if you taper and trim it to be a tiny bit larger than the opening into the water reservoir.  Pretty sure the craft stores would have a piece large enough and for not a lot of money.  Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, Billy.  I have cut cork before, and it seems to crumble easily.  I have considered cutting down a large black rubber stopper but wanted to hear other ideas first.

205 12,145
 06-12-2017, 09:12 AM
User Info
That's true:  if cork, the type that has a tighter cell structure works best.  I did something similar for my daughter's school project and it worked well.

Edit: Also, the synthetic wine bottle "corks" might work...very tight cell structure!

73 3,969
 06-12-2017, 09:34 AM
User Info
I have the small Moss and it keeps my lather plenty warm throughout a 3 pass shave. When Dr Chris Moss worked with Sara to design the scuttle the small was what they came up with because the walls of the bowl hug the lathered bristles keeping them warm. Folks wanted a larger one for larger brushes, and maybe hoping to lather within it, but that is not what it was designed for. Anyway, GLW it.

5 153
 06-14-2017, 04:16 PM
User Info
the rubber thing could be a solution.  heat it up until it can be reshaped.

0 458
 11 hours ago
User Info
Well, I ended up trying a cork stopper, but it didn't seem like it would be very durable.  So I got a black rubber stopper at a local hardware store, cut it in half, and then cut off another slice to size it to fit the scuttle reservoir opening.  It isn't elegant, but it works quite well, keeping the heat in noticeably better than before.

[Image: zHyqtXY.jpg][Image: X2OI8y4.jpg][Image: q7XUlpA.jpg][Image: 1ZbaYET.jpg]

205 12,145
 11 hours ago
User Info
Nice solution, John!

73 3,969