06-13-2017, 02:52 AM
User Info
The shipping was fast - I ordered and received this beauty.  Like a kid at Christmas, I went to bed anticipating the morning.

I preped simply by washing my face - I don't do anything elaborate.  I wear a van dyke, so I am not shaving my chin or under my nose.  

Software - Hardware:  The Rocnel SR-G loaded with a Personna GEM stainless.  Wolf Whiskers brush with a TGN Finest badger.  Proraso sandalwood cream (face lather)

Impression .... there is something very different in this razor from the GEM 1912's and Clog Pruf that I have owned - it's hard to describe.  I used to say that progressing from a cart, to a DE to a SE was like going backward in time.  The SE had a feel closer to a straight razor than a DE ... and a DE closer than a cartridge.  For me, in vintage GEM's they have a 'sound' to them when you shave that sounds like a 'hair popping' and 'scrape' (but it doesnt' feel like a scraping or irritating shave) .... after all that 'set-up' ... that sound is completely gone with the Rocnel.  Could be that the weight of the razor and that it's stainless and not stamped brass causes the difference - could be that the way the blade is loaded and secured makes the difference.  

First pass is always north to south.  That isn't quite with the grain, as my hair grows more of an angle than that, but it isn't perpendicular (across the grain) either.  It's sort of a cross between WTG and XTG.    I had a bad angle on my right cheek and nicked myself near the mustache edge.  I slowed down and finished the first pass without incident.  
Re-lather
Second pass is a against the grain (ATG) pass.  I typically go slower on this pass anyway and I did this time too.  For me - below the jaw line, I want to use nearly no pressure - I petend I am trying to use the blade to remove the shaving cream, but not touch the skin - Impossible - I know ... but it makes me use as little pressure as possible.

Impression - Results:  The I believe the aggressiveness of the razor is on par with an ATT R - slightly more blade feel than a Wolfman WR1, much less than my ATT H.  Mid-aggressive is the right place to spot it.  Other than the nick - which was my fault and cleaned up quickly with a styptic pencil - I got a great shave.  I wouldn't say BBS (I have very high standards for that label) but darn close.  Above the jaw-line it is as nice a shave (or better) than I get from anything.  Below the jaw-line I have some weird hair patterns and it's hard to get a perfect shave - but I believe today's shave was better overall than yesterday's with the WR1.

I don't know if other owners will - but after the shave I removed and dried the blade and cleaned the razor.  I'll use it the next few shaves and see how it does after the honeymoon phase has ended .... but I believe it to be a part of the rotation for sure.

3 203
 06-13-2017, 03:17 AM
User Info
Thanks for a thoughtful and useful review.

50 6,098
 06-13-2017, 03:40 AM
User Info
Thank you for the review,
unfortunately I don't own any of the razors you have compared it with, but the mid-aggressive classification works for me.

0 283
 06-13-2017, 03:47 AM
User Info
Great review. Thanks!

7 546
 06-13-2017, 03:52 AM
User Info
For those that like other specs:

Head = 26.9 grams (with the set screw installed)
Handle= 71.8 grams
Total = 98.7 grams

Handle length is 2.955" (75.05mm)
Handle diameter is .535" (13.5mm) ... I was really hoping it would fit in the anodized aluminum inkwell razor stand from Above the Tie.  But I don't think it will.  The Calypso is .510" and I don't believe it will fit - too bad as it would have looked killer
Overall length is 3.611" (91.7mm)

Set screw is .889" (22.5mm)
Thread pitch is std M5x0.8
Set screw would take a 2.5mm allen (which you don't need - as finger-tightening the screw to the blade works fine)

3 203
 06-13-2017, 04:38 AM
User Info
Very good review. I know you said it is a mid-aggressive shave but since you own a 1912 which is considered by most to be a mid-aggressive razor, how would compare the Rocnel to the 1912?

5 1,537
 06-13-2017, 04:43 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(06-13-2017, 04:38 AM)shave/brush Wrote: Very good review. I know you said it is a mid-aggressive shave but since you own a 1912 which is considered by most to be a mid-aggressive razor, how would compare the Rocnel to the 1912?

In my opinion, the Rocnel is more aggressive than the 1912.

102 18,652
 06-13-2017, 04:52 AM
User Info
(06-13-2017, 04:43 AM)Agravic Wrote:
(06-13-2017, 04:38 AM)shave/brush Wrote: Very good review. I know you said it is a mid-aggressive shave but since you own a 1912 which is considered by most to be a mid-aggressive razor, how would compare the Rocnel to the 1912?

In my opinion, the Rocnel is more aggressive than the 1912.

I agree, but if you make up a 10-point scale and you place the 1912 at a '5' (to serve as the 'control' for the sake of comparison) I would put the Rocnel at a 7 and no higher. (perhaps even 6.5)  But everyone is different.  I've thought of some razors to be 'Wow - that's sharp' that other's have said it's 'middle of the road' ... and others were some will say 'a lot of blade feel' where I thought they were mid-aggressive. 

I truly think all these terms are highly subjective and each person has their own feeling assigned to the definitions.

3 203
 06-14-2017, 02:55 AM
User Info
And so long as we are doing comparisons, how does the Rocnel compare to the Clog Pruf and MMOC in terms of aggressiveness?  I ask because the Clog Pruf is perfect for me.  I find the MMOC to be a little rough on my face.  

Cheers

2 63
 06-14-2017, 09:16 AM
User Info
I never use the micromatic open comb ... but I believe the Rocknel to be a step up toward the more aggressive side over the Clog Pruf.

So - I used my Rocnel today with outstanding results ... I believe the pressure needs to be nearly non-existent and the shave angle very shallow.  I had good reults on my first shave, but this morning I had a tru BBS above the jaw line and darn near below. 

Software was Col. Ichabod Conk Bay rum soap and a old-school Gillette After Shave Gel
Hardware was the Rocnel with a Personna GEM Stainless blade (2nd shave)

Darn - I like this razor!

3 203
 06-14-2017, 10:07 AM
User Info
So I guess it seems this is an aggressive razor. I use to like aggressive GEM razors like the EverReady 1914, but then I started getting some bad irritation on my neck so I gave up on GEM razors. I could use the mild ones like the Featherweight or the G-bar.

5 1,537
 06-14-2017, 01:42 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-14-2017, 10:07 AM)shave/brush Wrote: So I guess it seems this is an aggressive razor. I use to like aggressive GEM razors like the EverReady 1914, but then I started getting some bad irritation on my neck so I gave up on GEM razors. I could use the mild ones like the Featherweight or the G-bar.

It is definitely on the aggressive side of the continuum.

46 18,374
 06-15-2017, 01:15 AM
User Info
Today's shave really approached a perfect shave for me.  No nicks or weepers, the Personna GEM Stainless blade on it's third shave is still very sharp, but has now lost any of the harshness that it had coming out of the dispenser.  Today I tried a WSP Formula T soap in tobacco scent.  I liked it a lot.  

First pass was light, shallow angle just about 'across the grain' ... second pass was also light and against the grain.  I then squeezed a little soap from the brush, applied with my fingers, to do one or two little touch-up spots.  

I sit here now with one of the best shaves I've had in some time.

One thing I've learned is that everyone is 100% differernt.  Some like a scuttle and three passes, I like to face lather and two.   Some like a mild razor - I've learned that I like an aggressive one. 

I've bought and sold razors looking for the shave I got today.

Here's a statement for you ..... I like the Rocnel SE-G so much that I sold my WR1 on eBay last night.  I couldn't sell it here, because I bought it on the secondary market, paid more than retail, and had to get my money back out of it.  I found the quality of the WR1 to be out of this world, and it was beautiful - but for me it all comes down to the shave.  It was a standard gap and I just didn't get as good a shave as I wanted from it. 

I had 'top-of-the-lie razors such as a: Hone DE, Pils 101NE, Feather AS-D2, countless ATT's, Wolfman WR1, and Guerrilla.  I've had others such as Merkur 42C and even a Derby.  

My current stable is an ATT H (on the hunt for a Ti handle for it) the Rocnel SE-G, and for when I want a lighter feel or for travel, I decided to keep my ATT Calypso R.  It's a good feeling to think your razor buying and selling addiction is 'cured' (at least for now - until a Wollfman with a more aggressive gap becomes available  Smile  )

3 203