06-14-2017, 04:48 PM
User Info
Hi,
      If I wanted to try out a pre-shave of some type, what might I test out first?
Thank you

0 75
 06-14-2017, 04:51 PM
User Info
A shower is my only pre-shave.

11 186
 06-14-2017, 04:57 PM
User Info
You could try Proraso Pre-Shave Cream, which is considered a classic.  It's moderately priced and and not an oil type pre-shave.

50 6,291
 06-14-2017, 06:24 PM
User Info
Castle Forbes pre-shave is the best I've tried.  But, I don't use it anymore.  Didn't find there was any need.

Proraso, mentioned by our super moderator, is very good.  I thought it was more of a moisturizer, or perhaps a beard softener, than a pre-shave, which is slick, and helps the razor glide better.  But, do you really need a pre-shave?  A hot towel is more enjoyable, free, and, at least for me, highly effective.

1 415
 06-14-2017, 06:28 PM
User Info
(06-14-2017, 06:24 PM)David Wrote: Castle Forbes pre-shave is the best I've tried.  But, I don't use it anymore.  Didn't find there was any need.

Proraso, mentioned by our super moderator, is very good.  I thought it was more of a moisturizer, or perhaps a beard softener, than a pre-shave, which is slick, and helps the razor glide better.  But, do you really need a pre-shave?  A hot towel is more enjoyable, free, and, at least for me, highly effective.

In my view, if you do a proper beard prep with a lot of hot water, a pre-shave product is not necessary.  However, if someone feels it gives them a better shave, a pre-shave is fine.

50 6,291
 06-14-2017, 06:45 PM
User Info
Myrsol Emulsion is my favorite pre-shave.

0 246
 06-15-2017, 05:59 AM
User Info
Although I seldom use any pre shave product anymore, the one I do keep in the den is Baume.be pre shave gel.

6 225
 06-15-2017, 07:24 AM
User Info
I have tried Proraso and Geo F. Trumper. IMO, waste of money. Good prep begins with a clean, exfoliated beard area. Good shave consists of a slick lather, that has been created and perfected through practice. Nice sharp blade and discovering the correct angle in which to hold one's razor. Using next to no pressure, remove the lather, not the skin. Learn your beard growth pattern. Discover what a WTG pass is. Practice make perfect. The only way to get the best shave, is to shave, shave, shave. 

39 3,935
 06-22-2017, 04:23 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(06-15-2017, 07:24 AM)primotenore Wrote: I have tried Proraso and Geo F. Trumper. IMO, waste of money. Good prep begins with a clean, exfoliated beard area. Good shave consists of a slick lather, that has been created and perfected through practice. Nice sharp blade and discovering the correct angle in which to hold one's razor. Using next to no pressure, remove the lather, not the skin. Learn your beard growth pattern. Discover what a WTG pass is. Practice make perfect. The only way to get the best shave, is to shave, shave, shave. 

I agree, wholeheartedly.  However, I use the Proraso Pre-Shave Cream, with menthol, as I find it prevents razor burn.  Some blades cause more razor burn, than others.  Also, when your skin gets used to one blade, but, then, for instance, the store runs out, of that particular kind, so, you switch, and, then, voilà, you have razor burn, perhaps, because, it is a gamble, with new blades.

1 589
 07-11-2017, 06:39 PM
User Info
I like Proraso, but prefer 3P. I put it on then do a hot towel with the pre shave on, then lather and shave.

1 26
 07-11-2017, 07:52 PM
User Info
After many years in the game, I must agree with other Gents: The best preshave is a warm bath and proper hydration of the beard.
I rarely use a preshave product any longer.

But with that said, if I shave daily, and I don't take a warm but cold bath, I can see the benefits in using a pre shave product.

If applied correctly, not in a too thick layer, it certainly can't harm or worsen my shave, only improve it or make no difference.

I used to use Proraso preshave cream, but especially outside of winter time, I find it a bit too thick, even if applied very thinly.

My preferred pre shave products are now, and these I all own also in backups:

GFT Skinfood Sandalwood
GFT Skinfood Coral
GFT Skinfood Lime
Myrsol Antesol
Myrsol Emulsion (for winter, a thin cream)

These 5 products get my recommendation as best pre shave products out there.

24 6,004
 08-01-2017, 10:16 PM
User Info
(06-14-2017, 04:48 PM)punchy Wrote: Hi,
      If I wanted to try out a pre-shave of some type, what might I test out first?
Thank you

Hi,

I'm new here and I was hoping my experience with pre-shave oils might be of some assistance.

I have extremely dry skin, even in the summer.  Subsequent, my skin is not what you would call 'supple'.  When I apply a pre-shave, what I'm looking for is for it to give my skin a bit more elasticity so that it more easily conforms and responds to a razor.  I'm not necessarily looking for my pre-shave to make my skin more slick, my soaps do that just fine.

I've tried a few pre-shave products and GFT Skinfood Sandalwood  helps with this provided I wet my face a bit first and really let the skinfood seal in some moisture.  It also works as a good aftershave balm as well.  Just be aware that the sandalwood scent it relatively mild and the predominant sent for this one is definitely the rose which is fitting since rose distillate is one of the top ingredients. 

My brother also gave me a 2oz jar from The Art of Shaving.  I can't remember which forum I read it on, but I do remember a thread that talked about the best ingredients for a home-made pre-shave oil.  In that thread, someone mentioned the ingredients in  AoS pre-shave oil and they were pretty close to what I would have chosen for a home-made pre-shave oil based on what the ingredients do.  There are a LOT of people on these forums that know a ton more than I do about the details but for what it's worth I have had good luck with this AoS product (and their aftershave balm).  Not a fan of a lot of their other products, but the pre-shave seems to work for me.

Again, I just want to reiterate that I don't use a pre-shave to provide more lubrication as much as I do to make my skin more supple and better respond to a razor (which invariably means less nicks).  I can't speak to why/how other folks use pre-shaves so just take this as one man's perspective.

0 1
 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM
User Info
(06-14-2017, 06:24 PM)David Wrote: Castle Forbes pre-shave is the best I've tried.  But, I don't use it anymore.  Didn't find there was any need.

Agreed, Castle Forbes was hands down the best. Didn't gunk up the brush or sit on my face for two passes like most oil-based preshaves do. Like a lot of people, I've quit using preshaves entirely and just rely of a hot shower and better technique, an alum stick after shaving, then a splash to finish the shave.

7 75
 08-02-2017, 11:21 AM
User Info
Baume.be makes a great preshave gel. It smells exactly like the shaving cream. It doesn't gunk up your razor and is super protective.

0 50
 08-02-2017, 12:10 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(06-15-2017, 07:24 AM)primotenore Wrote: I have tried Proraso and Geo F. Trumper. IMO, waste of money. Good prep begins with a clean, exfoliated beard area. Good shave consists of a slick lather, that has been created and perfected through practice. Nice sharp blade and discovering the correct angle in which to hold one's razor. Using next to no pressure, remove the lather, not the skin. Learn your beard growth pattern. Discover what a WTG pass is. Practice make perfect. The only way to get the best shave, is to shave, shave, shave. 

I agree unreservedly.  But, if you insist on trying a pre-shave, try Noxzema skin cream.  It's inexpensive and also works well on soothing sunburn.

7 923
 08-02-2017, 12:26 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I don't really do much in terms of pre-shave; I take a hot shower and after whipping up my lather I wash my beard area with a clear glycerin soap, working it into a lather for 60 seconds or so; it helps my whiskers to stand up. This is also what barbers do to prep prior to a shave, however they use a shave product.  The glycerin soap is good for my face and is slippery so I apply my shave cream over it. Then I shave, no big time commitment to a pre shave routine. Bottom line, do what works or feels best to you.

11 659