06-14-2017, 04:48 PM
User Info
Hi,
      If I wanted to try out a pre-shave of some type, what might I test out first?
Thank you

0 69
 06-14-2017, 04:51 PM
User Info
A shower is my only pre-shave.

10 135
 06-14-2017, 04:57 PM
User Info
You could try Proraso Pre-Shave Cream, which is considered a classic.  It's moderately priced and and not an oil type pre-shave.

43 5,525
 06-14-2017, 06:24 PM
User Info
Castle Forbes pre-shave is the best I've tried.  But, I don't use it anymore.  Didn't find there was any need.

Proraso, mentioned by our super moderator, is very good.  I thought it was more of a moisturizer, or perhaps a beard softener, than a pre-shave, which is slick, and helps the razor glide better.  But, do you really need a pre-shave?  A hot towel is more enjoyable, free, and, at least for me, highly effective.

0 368
 06-14-2017, 06:28 PM
User Info
(06-14-2017, 06:24 PM)David Wrote: Castle Forbes pre-shave is the best I've tried.  But, I don't use it anymore.  Didn't find there was any need.

Proraso, mentioned by our super moderator, is very good.  I thought it was more of a moisturizer, or perhaps a beard softener, than a pre-shave, which is slick, and helps the razor glide better.  But, do you really need a pre-shave?  A hot towel is more enjoyable, free, and, at least for me, highly effective.

In my view, if you do a proper beard prep with a lot of hot water, a pre-shave product is not necessary.  However, if someone feels it gives them a better shave, a pre-shave is fine.

43 5,525
 06-14-2017, 06:45 PM
User Info
Myrsol Emulsion is my favorite pre-shave.

0 228
 06-15-2017, 05:59 AM
User Info
Although I seldom use any pre shave product anymore, the one I do keep in the den is Baume.be pre shave gel.

6 223
 06-15-2017, 07:24 AM
User Info
I have tried Proraso and Geo F. Trumper. IMO, waste of money. Good prep begins with a clean, exfoliated beard area. Good shave consists of a slick lather, that has been created and perfected through practice. Nice sharp blade and discovering the correct angle in which to hold one's razor. Using next to no pressure, remove the lather, not the skin. Learn your beard growth pattern. Discover what a WTG pass is. Practice make perfect. The only way to get the best shave, is to shave, shave, shave. 

38 3,813
 06-22-2017, 04:23 AM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(06-15-2017, 07:24 AM)primotenore Wrote: I have tried Proraso and Geo F. Trumper. IMO, waste of money. Good prep begins with a clean, exfoliated beard area. Good shave consists of a slick lather, that has been created and perfected through practice. Nice sharp blade and discovering the correct angle in which to hold one's razor. Using next to no pressure, remove the lather, not the skin. Learn your beard growth pattern. Discover what a WTG pass is. Practice make perfect. The only way to get the best shave, is to shave, shave, shave. 

I agree, wholeheartedly.  However, I use the Proraso Pre-Shave Cream, with menthol, as I find it prevents razor burn.  Some blades cause more razor burn, than others.  Also, when your skin gets used to one blade, but, then, for instance, the store runs out, of that particular kind, so, you switch, and, then, voilà, you have razor burn, perhaps, because, it is a gamble, with new blades.

1 516
 07-11-2017, 06:39 PM
User Info
I like Proraso, but prefer 3P. I put it on then do a hot towel with the pre shave on, then lather and shave.

0 21
 07-11-2017, 07:52 PM
User Info
After many years in the game, I must agree with other Gents: The best preshave is a warm bath and proper hydration of the beard.
I rarely use a preshave product any longer.

But with that said, if I shave daily, and I don't take a warm but cold bath, I can see the benefits in using a pre shave product.

If applied correctly, not in a too thick layer, it certainly can't harm or worsen my shave, only improve it or make no difference.

I used to use Proraso preshave cream, but especially outside of winter time, I find it a bit too thick, even if applied very thinly.

My preferred pre shave products are now, and these I all own also in backups:

GFT Skinfood Sandalwood
GFT Skinfood Coral
GFT Skinfood Lime
Myrsol Antesol
Myrsol Emulsion (for winter, a thin cream)

These 5 products get my recommendation as best pre shave products out there.

24 5,767