06-15-2017, 08:16 AM
User Info
Alright, I've been seriously considering selecting and buying my first Single Edge razor and some blades for it. As usual, being new to traditional wet shaving in general, I don't really know where to begin in the selection and buying process. I should probably err somewhat on the mild side rather than the aggressive side I suppose. I also like 1930's style vintage things the most especially when it comes to mens things, so perhaps that might help too.
Thank you

0 70
 06-15-2017, 08:46 AM
User Info
(06-15-2017, 08:16 AM)punchy Wrote: Alright, I've been seriously considering selecting and buying my first Single Edge razor and some blades for it. As usual, being new to traditional wet shaving in general, I don't really know where to begin in the selection and buying process. I should probably err somewhat on the mild side rather than the aggressive side I suppose. I also like 1930's style vintage things the most especially when it comes to mens things, so perhaps that might help too.
Thank you

If you like mild and vintage, I would go with the GEM G-Bar or GEM Featherweight. They are great razors. For something a step up from mild I would go with the
GEM Bullet Tip. For a step up in aggression from that try the Ever Ready Streamline. All are fantastic shavers.

Enjoy!

7 493
 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM
User Info
My first SE was a GEM Featherweight, which a fellow Nook member sold to me for a remarkably nice price.
I loved it straight away. It's in rotation and its turn came up again today.

8 897
 06-15-2017, 11:10 AM
User Info
A GEM MicroMatic can be a great choice too - have a look at http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...hlight=GEM for an in depth review and discussion Smile

3 4,374
 06-15-2017, 04:53 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
If you are looking for a new razor, the General would fit the bill. It uses the artist club blades but, it is definitely on the mild side.

46 18,089
 06-15-2017, 05:22 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Phil's suggestion brings up a good question - what does the OP mean by "Single Edge" razor?  Could be a GEM style, as is commonly thought of, or an injector style, or even the shavettes.  

They all can give a good shave, but each has certain advantages over the others that might or might not mean anything to an individual.  For a new shaver the injectors are hard to beat ..

43 461
 06-16-2017, 04:24 AM
User Info
With regard to the "GEM style" single edge blades, I first tried a Micromatic Open Comb (referred to by the acronym MMOC) and, man, that was an aggressive razor.  I had to be really careful and because of its geometry it required re-learning a whole new angle and method as compared to DE shaving.  However recently I have been using a GEM Heavy Duty Flat Top aka the G-Bar and its been lovely!  The Featherweight is also a nice medium razor.  

As for injectors, as garyg said, they are great for new shavers.  Every one that I have tried ("I" through "N" Shick injectors where the letter corresponds with the year range they were produced) have been very easy to use.  And a lot of fun to switch out blades.

84 1,505