08-22-2012, 07:01 AM
User Info
I can not produce a good face lather with this stuff(granted I only tried 3-4 times)...but usually pretty good at finding the right water/soap ratio. The soap keeps disappearing from my face. I actually succeeded with a bowl lather and made a nice thick lather. Problem is: I don't like bowl lathering. I wouldn't call my water hard. Any suggestions?

9 333
 08-22-2012, 07:26 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I had problems with this soap as well. My brush just wasn't picking up enough soap to make a good lather. Try loading for two (yes 2) minutes, a much longer loading time helped me to get a decent lather. It also took a lot longer for me to actually make lather with this soap.

The problem I experienced with this soap is that the soap was kind of gummy, or sticky and the soap didn't want to stick to my brush. I would load my brush and I would have strands of soap going from my bush back to the puck and the soap would kind of pull off of my brush. Not all of the soap would pull off but enough would come off that it was a pain to load. It reminded me of pizza cheese. The skin care of this soap is absolutely top notch, but I think that contributes to the gumminess of the soap.

7 1,018
 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Try putting some warm water in the soap for 20 seconds rinse then load your brush. This might soften up the soap a bit.

100 12,448
 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM
User Info
Yep, it is a bit harder to lather in my experience also.
But it's worth it.

A bit more time will help.

I also find that some bushes are better suited to make the best of MW. In general, a bit more backbone seems to be better.

0 641
 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I always say "USE MORE PRODUCT"
It sounds simple but this is the problem 99% of the time, if you cannot make a good lather with more product it's time to move on to something else.

88 4,233
 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
Mystic Water is a favorite of mine. I have no problem loading my brush or getting a nice lather. I think what Jerry said is probably right due to my own experience with this soap.

I run the water in the bathroom sink until hot. I put a little water in a glass and pour probably 2 to 3 tablespoons of hot water on top of the soap and set the lid back on top of the container . Then I put enough hot water in the glass to cover the bristles of my Omega or my No-Name boar, put the brush into the glass of water and then go take my shower.

When I'm done with my shower I pour the water off of the soap and go about loading my brush. Brush loads right up and I get a nice lather.

It's odd the things we do without really thinking about it! I almost always bowl lather creams and I almost always face lather with soaps. I couldn't tell you why, but I just do.

Jerry said to put a little water on the soap for about 20 seconds but I leave the water on the soap whilst I shower, probably around 5 minutes. Works every time!

0 136
 08-22-2012, 05:28 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I too have experienced the vanishing lather mentioned here.The scent is good,skin care is good.The lather vanishes 3/4 thru a pass.Super lathers well when mixed with other soaps and creams though.

0 275
 08-22-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
(08-22-2012, 07:01 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: I can not produce a good face lather with this stuff(granted I only tried 3-4 times)...but usually pretty good at finding the right water/soap ratio. The soap keeps disappearing from my face. I actually succeeded with a bowl lather and made a nice thick lather. Problem is: I don't like bowl lathering. I wouldn't call my water hard. Any suggestions?

I really don't understand all the hype surrounding this soap. I just don't seem to get along with it. What lather I do get is thin and dissipates midway through the shave. Also I notice it would burn my upper lip and cheeks; I was using the coconut. I wanted to like this soap, and I tried really hard to like it, but I just don't see it happening. I'm reluctant now to try Mikes Natural as I've read it's similar to MW.

1 94
 08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
Wow, you gents must have hard water or you are not starting with a drier brush. i have been using Mystic Water for ten months now and Mike's Natural for five and i have no issues whatsoever with lathering. Granted, i do have extremely soft water and i think that may be the principal cause to your lathering issues coupled with too wet of a brush. i usually shake out most of the water in the brush and begin to load. Since you gents have hard water, you may need to load your brushes for a longer period while adding a bit of water to your brushes. i wish i could post a video, but Michelle has a few of them on her website showing how it is done.
i wish you all luck as it is a fantastic soap.

75 20,883
 08-23-2012, 02:17 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Aside from RazoRock MdB, anything Coconut gives me burn and the lip and around the mouth area are the worst.

Give the MW soap some experimentation. The consensus and what also worked for me is to load for a LONG time with a dryer brush and then add water as needed. I also needed to add water to the bowl for successive passes AND make sure my face stayed lightly hydrated between passes. I also use distilled water but that's a constant for me.

This sounds like a lot of work but it's not. It just may be different from your norm. It's worth it in the end because the way my skin feels after the shave is astounding.

Lastly, Mike's is easier for me to lather than MW as well as retain a successful lather throughout the shave and it leaves the skin feeling fantastic as well. It's just another short learning curve of which I would not be put off of because in the end, both soaps are truly worth it.

(08-22-2012, 07:48 PM)dashmaverick Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 07:01 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: I can not produce a good face lather with this stuff(granted I only tried 3-4 times)...but usually pretty good at finding the right water/soap ratio. The soap keeps disappearing from my face. I actually succeeded with a bowl lather and made a nice thick lather. Problem is: I don't like bowl lathering. I wouldn't call my water hard. Any suggestions?

I really don't understand all the hype surrounding this soap. I just don't seem to get along with it. What lather I do get is thin and dissipates midway through the shave. Also I notice it would burn my upper lip and cheeks; I was using the coconut. I wanted to like this soap, and I tried really hard to like it, but I just don't see it happening. I'm reluctant now to try Mikes Natural as I've read it's similar to MW.

6 905
 08-23-2012, 04:58 AM
User Info
I think it's a fantastic soap. It's also one of my easiest lathering soaps. Last night I whipped p a batch of the Roselimone to use as a pre-shave lather. I left the lather on my face for over 6 minutes and after that time it was still there. Dryer of course, but it definitely did not disappear.

MW is one soaps that I find is not too particular to how I load it. Wet brush, dry brush, or like last night, halfway in between. It all results in plenty of luscious lather and a phenomenal shave.

0 836
 08-23-2012, 05:12 AM
User Info
Obviously, there are mixed reviews regarding this soap on here and other forums. I will definitely give it some more practice because I want to support a true artisan. Also, the two scents I tried are fantastic....
But, with that all being said after a few more tries, Im done. I have enough challenges throughout the day, and I expect my shave, which is one of my most relaxing part of the days to go through without a hiccup. There are plenty of soaps out there that produce wonderful lather effortlessly. This is clearly a great example of YMMV.

9 333
 08-23-2012, 06:07 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Noah, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Like you said, there are plenty of soaps that lather effortlessly

(08-22-2012, 09:14 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, you gents must have hard water or you are not starting with a drier brush. i have been using Mystic Water for ten months now and Mike's Natural for five and i have no issues whatsoever with lathering. Granted, i do have extremely soft water and i think that may be the principal cause to your lathering issues coupled with too wet of a brush. i usually shake out most of the water in the brush and begin to load. Since you gents have hard water, you may need to load your brushes for a longer period while adding a bit of water to your brushes. i wish i could post a video, but Michelle has a few of them on her website showing how it is done.
i wish you all luck as it is a fantastic soap.

I have hard water and need to load my brush like I hate my soaps. I've seen the videos of MW being lathered and I would love to get that level of lather from this soap, but I don't.

7 1,018
 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
MW lathers fine for me...

91 17,874
 08-23-2012, 09:59 PM
User Info
My experience with Mystic Water has been similar to Noah's and Shawn's. I can get good lather from the soap but it takes too much work and I find myself getting annoyed when using the soap. Maybe we've become too spoiled with some of the other very high quality soaps in our rotation but no one wants to get annoyed when enjoying a shave. I suspect maybe there was some inconsistency with batches as some other forum members whose opinion I trust have talked about the incredible ease of creating lather with the soap. The scents and moisturizing properties are so good I will try another puck to see if my experience is the same. Anyway, my two cents on Mystic Water.

15 75
 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
User Info
+1

(08-23-2012, 03:03 PM)ben74 Wrote: MW lathers fine for me...

9 1,199
 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I also have serious issues with Mystic Water and definitely Mike's..I do not have hard water and every other soap I use practically explodes in thick rich lather..Tabac, MWF, QCS, Proraso, Palmolive, Arko, etc. I face lather 90% of the time and use mostly custom brushes with TGN finest extra hair knots, so I have the horsepower for scraping up sufficient soap. The most success I've had has been with my Muhle silvertip fibre synthetic, which is mostly due to synthetics being more efficient and requiring 1/2 the soap normally needed..even so I had to load for a good 60 seconds with Mystic Water and about 90 seconds with Mike's..typically that brush only requires a 15 second load for massive lather...30 with MWF.

I am still trying to dial them in but it seems like they're going to require 3-4x the product of other soaps to achieve comparable lather, if that is the case I will most likely not purchase any more.

31 1,510
 08-25-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
Arcadies, wow, i can not believe how many issues you guys are having with Mike's and Michelle's soaps. If you do not have hard water, then it should not be an issue. i have been using Michelle's soaps for 10 months and Mike's for 4, now and i have had no issues whatsoever except when i was on vacation in Ontario which has hard water, but i was still getting good lather; not like i get, here, in Vancouver, but good lather.
Well, i guess this just goes to show that YMMV with everything and anything. It really is unfortunate as these two soaps are phenomenal and use very simple and natural ingredients.
Have you seen the videos on Michelle's website? Have you tried starting with a drier brush and adding water little by little? Good luck, my friend.

75 20,883
 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
User Info
(08-23-2012, 09:59 PM)sfcablecar Wrote: My experience with Mystic Water has been similar to Noah's and Shawn's. I can get good lather from the soap but it takes too much work and I find myself getting annoyed when using the soap. Maybe we've become too spoiled with some of the other very high quality soaps in our rotation but no one wants to get annoyed when enjoying a shave. I suspect maybe there was some inconsistency with batches as some other forum members whose opinion I trust have talked about the incredible ease of creating lather with the soap. The scents and moisturizing properties are so good I will try another puck to see if my experience is the same. Anyway, my two cents on Mystic Water.

I'm sorry to hear that you and some others have had issues with my soap, but I'd like to address the recurring idea of batch inconsistencies. It makes it sound as if we artisan soapmakers are winging it or somehow throwing things together in a haphazard manner. I keep careful track of batches made and sold and have noticed that people who rave about or complain about the soap are often using pucks from the exact same batch. That would point to some factor other than the soap - if it's defective, then no one should get a good lather from it, let alone a superlative lather. I'm not making hundreds of pucks at a time, my batches are small - only 24 soaps at a time of any variety, and all ingredients are measured accurately to the gram, added to the crockpot in exactly the same order, and every phase of cooking and resting is timed for consistency. I buy my supplies from the same sources every time. I'm really at a loss to explain why some people have such difficulty because I whip this stuff up at the farmer's market over and over, all day long to show people how easy it is. FWIW, I'm going to play with some small tweaks to see if I can improve it in any way, but I don't think the problem is due to inconsistencies in batches and I'd really like to put that idea to rest.

0 225
 08-28-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
thanks for the explanation Michelle.

I had problems with mine way back, but finally got it to work. My issues was scuttle was too hot. It seems your soap is temperature senstitive, like MWF, and I had to use warm water instead of hot.

Once I got it dialed in, it was phenomenal, but It took me a while to figure out what the issue was.

The original puck of Original Coconut (the brown one) which is long gone now, but I now have a puck of Rosalimone (Rose/Lemon) to try out again, this time Face Lathering and when I feel like scuttle lathering it, it will be with Warm water. But since I face lather all my Soaps now, it shouldn't be an issues. I was bowl lathering everything back then (looking back, I'm shaking my head and fist in the air over the troubles I had that could have easily been resolved).

Post shave feel on the 1st puck was phenomenal, as well as the lather when I got it to work. In fact, I had some pics of the lather and a video (now gone) that a few people said was some of the best lather they had ever seen.

If all goes well, and I'm sure it will, I'll try to post a little HD video showing how thick and creamy this lather can be.

8 2,718