06-17-2017, 05:37 AM
User Info
Hello All;

Has anyone ever used a single edge Kai Captain without the loss of blood?  How did you do it?

No matter how soft i try, i always end up bleeding.  Not badly.  I am not complaining.  Just a few weepers that go away with a water rinse.  Well, maybe a two...  What i want to make clear is that i am not talking about a cut, or a nick, or a slice or whatever.  It seems to me that the blade is so keen that simply put, it takes away any imperfection in my skin.  It also leaves me with an amazingly close shave.  But the fact is that it requires 100% of my attention, zero pressure, and some luck.  And my best soap, that today i did not use, stupid me.

What is your experience with it?

Btw, i used my favorite razor:  the Asylum Rx.

0 479
 06-17-2017, 08:29 AM
User Info
I've used Kai's cousins - feather pro's & pro super's in a SE (ATT SE1) and Kai excelia kamisori. I find the SE1 to be a mild-mannered razor, and thus it tames the feathers such that I rarely, if ever, have any discomfort afterwards. The KAI excelia was another story, as you're working with fully exposed blade and it's very easy to cut yourself. That particular razor warranted a lot more concentration - but gave great shaves. I just didn't have that level of patience for every single shave.

28 1,098
 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM
User Info
(06-17-2017, 08:29 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I've used Kai's cousins - feather pro's & pro super's in a SE (ATT SE1) and Kai excelia kamisori. I find the SE1 to be a mild-mannered razor, and thus it tames the feathers such that I rarely, if ever, have any discomfort afterwards. The KAI excelia was another story, as you're working with fully exposed blade and it's very easy to cut yourself. That particular razor warranted a lot more concentration - but gave great shaves. I just didn't have that level of patience for every single shave.

Well, the att that i have is the se-2. :-/

I will wait a few days and try again. Will see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 06-17-2017, 09:17 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-17-2017, 05:37 AM)carlospppena Wrote: Hello All;

Has anyone ever used a single edge Kai Captain without the loss of blood?  How did you do it?
Yes, I love that blade. If you make sure not to use any pressure, you should be golden. How many passes are you doing? I stop at two.

46 18,382
 06-17-2017, 10:24 AM
User Info
(06-17-2017, 09:17 AM)bullgoose Wrote:

Yes, I love that blade. If you make sure not to use any pressure, you should be golden. How many passes are you doing? I stop at two.

Dear Phil;

I did not use any pressure, apart from that of the razor itself. Ironicaly, the weepers came about in the first pass. After that, i started to use negative pressure and the weepers stoped. I use only two passes on my head, whereas i sometimes do six in my face with a straight.

I used jack black pre and the asylum saponificio vegan soap. Some devil in my left shoulder is whispering that some other soap -with tallow- maybe was better protection. But the saint on the other shoulder says that is all technique.

I dont blame the blade. At the end of the day, my skin is like an onion's and my hair is like barbed wire. The hand got used to DEs. I must practice.

The best for you my friend!

0 479
 06-17-2017, 07:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-17-2017, 10:24 AM)carlospppena Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 09:17 AM)bullgoose Wrote:

Dear Phil;

I did not use any pressure, apart from that of the razor itself. Ironicaly, the weepers came about in the first pass. After that, i started to use negative pressure and the weepers stoped. I use only two passes on my head, whereas i sometimes do six in my face with a straight.

I used jack black pre and the asylum saponificio vegan soap. Some devil in my left shoulder is whispering that some other soap -with tallow- maybe was better protection. But the saint on the other shoulder says that is all technique.

I dont blame the blade. At the end of the day, my skin is like an onion's and my hair is like barbed wire. The hand got used to DEs. I must practice.

It is hard to say. I find some blades do not work well for me but others get along swimmingly with them (Feather DE blades, for example). Everyone's face and beard is different. While it may be technique, it may also be your unique face and beard. I definitely recommend trying a tallow soap; it will offer more cushion.

46 18,382
 06-17-2017, 07:53 PM
User Info
(06-17-2017, 07:47 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 10:24 AM)carlospppena Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 09:17 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Yes, I love that blade. If you make sure not to use any pressure, you should be golden. How many passes are you doing? I stop at two.

Dear Phil;

It is hard to say. I find some blades do not work well for me but others get along swimmingly with them (Feather DE blades, for example). Everyone's face and beard is different. While it may be technique, it may also be your unique face and beard. I definitely recommend trying a tallow soap; it will offer more cushion.

I thank your recommendations. Next time i will use an oil as preshave, like pinaud clubman, and one of my favorite soaps: either asylum frankinsence, or shannon's cafe mocha. Will let you know....

0 479
 06-17-2017, 07:53 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info

No matter how soft i try, i always end up bleeding.  Not badly.  I am not complaining.  Just a few weepers that go away with a water rinse.  Well, maybe a two...  What i want to make clear is that i am not talking about a cut, or a nick, or a slice or whatever.  It seems to me that the blade is so keen that simply put, it takes away any imperfection in my skin.  It also leaves me with an amazingly close shave.  But the fact is that it requires 100% of my attention, zero pressure, and some luck.  And my best soap, that today i did not use, stupid me.

What other AC blades have you used? On my face, the mildest is the Kai blade with guards. (I can't remember what they're called--Kai Mild Pink with Bladeguard MG...?) If you haven't tried one, you might start with that one, and then move on up the spectrum. Just an idea.

6 354
 06-17-2017, 08:01 PM
User Info
(06-17-2017, 07:53 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:

What other AC blades have you used? On my face, the mildest is the Kai blade with guards. (I can't remember what they're called--Kai Mild Pink with Bladeguard MG...?) If you haven't tried one, you might start with that one, and then move on up the spectrum. Just an idea.

That is exactly as i began. With the guarded kai and feather. But i found them lacking in smoothness.

I use safety razors for my head. My face i shave with a straight. I will try the guarded blades again. Yours is good advise and i thank you for it. But what i really think it is afoot is that for the last few months i have been trying different combinations of DE razors and blades, and for that, i lost my touch. I used to use the feather super pro without problems. The most important aspect: is always technique.

Best regards,

Pp

0 479
 06-17-2017, 09:39 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(06-17-2017, 08:01 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 07:53 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:

That is exactly as i began. With the guarded kai and feather. But i found them lacking in smoothness.

I use safety razors for my head. My face i shave with a straight. I will try the guarded blades again. Yours is good advise and i thank you for it. But what i really think it is afoot is that for the last few months i have been trying different combinations of DE razors and blades, and for that, i lost my touch. I used to use the feather super pro without problems. The most important aspect: is always technique.

Best regards,

Pp

I also bounce around among different style razors. Within the AC world, I can use most any blade in my Asylum RX (except a Super Pro), but my ATT SE2 seems to work best with a Super Pro. But if I use the most aggressive plate on the Rockwell 6S, or the Timeless .95 open comb, which are both easy as pie, and then jump to my AC razors, I need to take a big breath and exercise caution. That's part of the fun for me.

6 354
 06-18-2017, 05:28 PM
User Info
They're too sharp for me.  

I only use KAI Captain Titan Mild Blades (Pink) in my Asylum.  Work beautifully.  No need to switch from a perfect match.

1 405
 06-18-2017, 06:01 PM
User Info
(06-18-2017, 05:28 PM)David Wrote: They're too sharp for me.  

I only use KAI Captain Titan Mild Blades (Pink) in my Asylum.  Work beautifully.  No need to switch from a perfect match.

i will be trying those too, again.  i thank you for the suggestion.  i have a box in a drawer somewhere.  i remember that they are as sharp as the captain, even when they are a lill bit less exposed.  makes no difference for me.  they need be used with no pressure at all...

0 479
 06-18-2017, 07:02 PM
User Info
+1 for Kai Milds -- my blade of choice with the Rx.  No weepers!  Good luck.

17 1,433
 07-04-2017, 12:17 PM
User Info
I use Kai-Captain in my Mongoose without getting any nicks.

1 pass and some cleaning - BBS almost every time.
Shave every other day.
The Goose is my best razor.

Happy Shaving

0 8
 07-05-2017, 05:32 AM
User Info
Hello all:

I am happy to report that my Rx is giving me the shaves of my life. After i posted this thread, it is the only razor i have used to shave my head. I want to thank you all for the advice, specially Phil's.

It took me this long to write this because i am a strict follower of Mr. Meles two dozen rule: dont form any opinion before at least two dozen trys.

After i posted the thread, i used the Kai Captain four more times, without any blood at all. After that i have been using the Feather Super Pro. It took all this time to develop an opinion: given the proper technique, it is great!

I cant subscribe what others say about their longevity. During the fourth shave i can notice performance degradation. With technique adjustments i dare to use it five times if the need arises, but for now i will stop with four.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 07-05-2017, 05:57 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great Report! Glad you found a winning combo.

59 4,503
 07-06-2017, 09:28 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
The Asylum Rx is an interesting razor. I shave the easy parts of my face (e.g. cheeks) with a shallow angle (blade almost parallel to my skin). The harder to shave areas (e.g. hollows and Adam's apple) I shave with a steep angle riding off the safety bar. These techniques work well for me and always lead to a BBS.

Since I prefer straight razor shaving and I see you shave with straights too from your posts elsewhere on the forum there is a tendency to try to shave with the Rx like a straight. This simply doesn’t work (at least for me). The Rx encompasses the blade in a manner where you cannot wield the blade like a straight. However, the Rx is my favorite SE razor—it never fails to please.

13 611
 07-06-2017, 10:33 AM
User Info
(07-06-2017, 09:28 AM)Entasis Wrote: The Asylum Rx is an interesting razor. I shave the easy parts of my face (e.g. cheeks) with a shallow angle (blade almost parallel to my skin). The harder to shave areas (e.g. hollows and Adam's apple) I shave with a steep angle riding off the safety bar. These techniques work well for me and always lead to a BBS.

Since I prefer straight razor shaving and I see you shave with straights too from your posts elsewhere on the forum there is a tendency to try to shave with the Rx like a straight. This simply doesn’t work (at least for me). The Rx encompasses the blade in a manner where you cannot wield the blade like a straight. However, the Rx is my favorite SE razor—it never fails to please.

Thanxs tons!

0 479
 07-06-2017, 03:13 PM
User Info
I have less than a dozen rx shaves under my belt FWIW, but I've found that not concentrating on the angle and just using an intuitive "natural" position works best for me. I think Phil may have described it as: hold/use the razor lightly and the correct angle will reveal itself naturally.

28 1,098