Conventional wisdom says
     "If you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there."
How true.

0 147
 06-29-2017, 11:59 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
(06-25-2017, 05:48 PM)RetroRon Wrote: On a side note.......
Conventional wisdom says
     "If you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there."
How true.

That may be true, but I've got lots pictures that prove I was there  Angel

8 601
 07-05-2017, 08:02 PM
User Info
Ok, so let's have some fun with this.... One of the questions that was asked was for your favorite song from 1967, I thought Ken meant from Hendrix and said Red House but the more I think about it I believe he meant from that year in general and I would have to say The Doors Light My Fire although honestly Red House would be right up there. 

What say you guys? What's your favorite tune from 67?

3 900
 07-05-2017, 08:54 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
3 favorites
 Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
 Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
 White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

2 Best LP's 
 Most of the songs on Flowers LP by The Rolling Stones (granted some released on in 1966 or on other albums)
 Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club by the Beatles

4 260
 07-05-2017, 09:04 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 08:54 PM)SCOV Wrote: 3 favorites
 Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
 Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
 White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

2 Best LP's 
 Most of the songs on Flowers LP by The Rolling Stones (granted some released on in 1966 or on other albums)
 Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club by the Beatles

Love White Rabbit & Purple haze goes without saying, nice choices!

One album I almost forgot would be Pink Floyd 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' not one of their more well known releases but a great album nonetheless. Really set the stage as to what that band would become.

3 900
 07-06-2017, 07:01 PM
User Info
Gotta be White Rabbit for me. I had such a thing for Grace Slick back then :-)

0 147
 07-06-2017, 07:46 PM
User Info
Brown Eyed Girl

11 952
 07-07-2017, 03:25 PM
User Info
(07-06-2017, 07:46 PM)surfshaver Wrote: Brown Eyed Girl

Awesome tune +1

58 1,383
 07-07-2017, 03:52 PM
User Info
It's a lot easier for me to pick one than three.

Single: Whiter Shade of Pale (Procol Harum)
Album: Disraeli Gears (Cream)

Long stories connected to each of them

It's interesting to think about the choice from three perspectives.

1) What was my favorite in 1967?
2) What was most impactful/influential over time?
3) What is my favorite now?

Where and when I grew up I often didn't develop and appreciation for some music, or even hear it, until a year or more after its release. And in some cases it took decades for me to connect with it.

E.g., I didn't become a die-hard Stones fan until Beggar's Banquet was released -- and then I listened to all of the earlier recordings with a different ear. That said, Satisfaction was a favorite in 1965.

3 953
 07-10-2017, 09:39 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I have a number of favorites from 1967 but the Buffalo Springfield were probably my favorite group (you can add the Stones, The Who, The Spencer Davis Group, Van Morrison and the Doors). Buffalo Springfield's music just spoke to me. The Buffalo Springfield Again album was released in 1967 and along with the first album Buffalo Springfield (1966 release) are still two of my favorite albums. Here is my song list:

"For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield  
“Ruby Tuesday” Rolling Stones
“Gimme Some Lovin’ The Spencer Davis Group
“I Can See for Miles” The Who

8 601
 07-10-2017, 04:12 PM
User Info
(07-07-2017, 03:52 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: E.g., I didn't become a die-hard Stones fan until Beggar's Banquet was released -- and then I listened to all of the earlier recordings with a different ear. That said, Satisfaction was a favorite in 1965.

Yeah Beggar's Banquet was a great album!  Thumbup

My favorite Stones album always comes down to either Let it Bleed or Sticky Fingers and I never can seem to choose. I wasn't old enough to appreciate them at the time but was great to be able to basically Binge Listen to so many great albums from so many great artists when I got older!

I didn't have any older siblings so didn't really start to get into Rock & Roll until I was about 7 years old and the album that started it all for me was Led Zeppelins Physical Graffiti. I'll never forget the first time I heard Kasmir, I was hooked immediately, not to mention Ten Years Gone, In the Light, and Trampled Underfoot. Physical Graffiti is still by far my favorite Zeppelin album and they are still in my top two or three favorite bands of all time.

3 900
 07-11-2017, 08:11 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Here's a question after reading @Oasisdave: What was the first single or rock album you purchased? Here are my first 45's from 1957, I was weeks from turning 10 years old.
Elvis - Jailhouse Rock/Treat Me Nice
Everly Brothers – Wake-up Little Suzie/Maybe Tomorrow

8 601
 07-11-2017, 10:01 AM
User Info
That's actually an easy one for me. I remember being in a Gemco store and they had their little music section right by the exit and all the top hits or newer albums displayed. That day I got Led Zep Physical Graffiti, Aerosmith Toys in the Attic and Bad Company Straight Shooter. 

It was actually my mom that bought them as I was only I think 8 at the time. I remember she got herself the first Journey album that day as well, at least I think that's the album she bought. 

Speaking of 45's my mom has a little case with a bunch of Elvis and other artists 45's in it. She doesn't really listen to music anymore but I know she still has the little case with them in it.

3 900