07-30-2017, 01:51 PM
User Info
(07-26-2017, 01:29 AM)FABarbuto Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 08:11 AM)doc47 Wrote: Here's a question after reading @Oasisdave: What was the first single or rock album you purchased? Here are my first 45's from 1957, I was weeks from turning 10 years old.
Elvis - Jailhouse Rock/Treat Me Nice
Everly Brothers – Wake-up Little Suzie/Maybe Tomorrow

The first rock album I ever purchased was Aerosmith's Greatest Hits (Red version, CD).  I was 11 years old.
No laughing please, my very first LP (Can't remember 45's) was The Associations Greatest Hits... Biggrin
Edit: Not true...I do remember: Dave Clark Five's Glad all Over. Wore that 45 out!

39 3,955
 07-31-2017, 08:12 AM
User Info
Trivia question (most will know the answer)

What goofy hand picked pop group did Jimi Hendrix open for in the late 60's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 391
 07-31-2017, 08:35 AM
User Info
Lol, I believe that was the Monkeys. I always thought that must be one of the strangest pairings ever.

Another really strange pairing was Kool & the Gang opening for Van Halen.

4 929
 07-31-2017, 08:38 AM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 08:35 AM)Oasisdave Wrote: Lol, I believe that was the Monkeys. I always thought that must be one of the strangest pairings ever.

Give the man a cigar!

My poor father had to take my sisters. Wish I could have gone. I was 4 or 5 at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 391
 07-31-2017, 08:13 PM
User Info
My aunt used to make my mother & younger sisters sing along to the Monkees' TV show tune. Evidently, her singing voice was "scratching of a chalkboard" kind of bad because my mother still talks about that hated ritual LOL

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3 146
 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 08:13 PM)FABarbuto Wrote: My aunt used to make my mother & younger sisters sing along to the Monkees' TV show tune.  Evidently,  her singing voice was "scratching of a chalkboard" kind of bad because my mother still talks about that hated ritual LOL

Lol

4 929
 08-19-2017, 11:45 AM
User Info
Does anybody remember those old Time-Life music collection TV commercials from the 1980's/'90s that offered just about everything for whatever particular stereo system(s) you had? (Vinyls, Laserdisc, Cassette, CD)  "Call toll-free! 1-800-etc.etc." ?

3 146
 08-22-2017, 07:54 PM
User Info
(08-19-2017, 11:45 AM)FABarbuto Wrote: Does anybody remember those old Time-Life music collection TV commercials from the 1980's/'90s that offered just about everything for whatever particular stereo system(s) you had? (Vinyls, Laserdisc, Cassette, CD)  "Call toll-free! 1-800-etc.etc." ?

I think I do remember the laserdisc Life-Time but that's 
kinda foggy. What came to my mind when you mentioned the Time-Life was the Columbia House clubs and the K-tel stuff that was so popular back in the 70's. I remember my mom have tons of K-tel 8 tracks and cassettes. She got me a Columbia House membership when I was around 11 years old.

4 929
 08-22-2017, 08:15 PM
User Info
(08-22-2017, 07:54 PM)Oasisdave Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 11:45 AM)FABarbuto Wrote: Does anybody remember those old Time-Life music collection TV commercials from the 1980's/'90s that offered just about everything for whatever particular stereo system(s) you had? (Vinyls, Laserdisc, Cassette, CD)  "Call toll-free! 1-800-etc.etc." ?

kinda foggy. What came to my mind when you mentioned the Time-Life was the Columbia House clubs and the K-tel stuff that was so popular back in the 70's. I remember my mom have tons of K-tel 8 tracks and cassettes. She got me a Columbia House membership when I was around 11 years old.

Those Columbia House mail order clubs lasted a long time, even into the 2000's with DVDs.  
I was around the same age (11 - 13 years old) when my mother gave my younger sister and I a subscription to Columbia House's offering, specifically.  

They had a competitor or 3, but Columbia House was the most popular at that time.  I actually recall a few CDs from my old subscription: Creedence Clearwater Revival (Don't remember the album name, I think it was a greatest hits collection) Soundgarden: Superunknown, Stone Temple Pilots' Core, and a Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' Greatest Hits CD.

Gotta love that 20th Century music.  Cheers

3 146
 08-22-2017, 08:21 PM
User Info
Wow, what this talk of Time-Life, K-tel, and Columbia house has reminded me of is what I think I miss the most in this day and age of downloaded music, good ole record stores! I remember going into places like Sam Goodys, The Wherehouse, Licorice Pizza, Tower Records and even Virgin Megastores and spending hours looking through albums. I really miss those times. 

LA still has a few really nice vintage record stores like Amoeba and Atomic records but your still looking through used stuff. Not like that fresh new vinyl with the celephane wrapping, 

I really need to fix up my turntable or get a new one   Sad

4 929
 08-22-2017, 08:30 PM
User Info
(08-22-2017, 08:15 PM)FABarbuto Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 07:54 PM)Oasisdave Wrote:

Those Columbia House mail order clubs lasted a long time, even into the 2000's with DVDs.  
I was around the same age (11 - 13 years old) when my mother gave my younger sister and I a subscription to Columbia House's offering, specifically.  

They had a competitor or 3, but Columbia House was the most popular at that time.  I actually recall a few CDs from my old subscription: Creedence Clearwater Revival (Don't remember the album name, I think it was a greatest hits collection) Soundgarden: Superunknown, Stone Temple Pilots' Core, and a Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' Greatest Hits CD.

LOL, I remember my first Columbia shipment included Chicago's greatest hits, Kiss Rock and Roll Over and Queens Night at the Opera. Really wish I could remember the other ones in that first shipment. I'm pretty sure there was another Chicago album and I think the Stones Goats Head Soup was in there as well but just not sure.

Ha! Had to edit this post as I remembered one of the albums was the first Boston record!

4 929
 08-22-2017, 08:40 PM
User Info
(08-22-2017, 08:30 PM)Oasisdave Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 08:15 PM)FABarbuto Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 07:54 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: I think I do remember the laserdisc Life-Time but that's 

LOL, I remember my first Columbia shipment included Chicago's greatest hits, Kiss Rock and Roll Over and Queens Night at the Opera. Really wish I could remember the other ones in that first shipment. I'm pretty sure there was another Chicago album and I think the Stones Goats Head Soup was in there as well but just not sure.
Wow! Good stuff, Dave!

You hit home with me pal--The pre-downoadable music days of the record stores! I can't believe Tower Records is out of business!

I grew up with Sam Goodys, Record Theater, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. We have a nice couple of local music stores still though that sell vinyls/cassettes/CDs/etc.

I didn't have Tower Records where I grew up, but when I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, they had a huge Tower Records store and I loved it. I spent mucho dinero there, lemme tell ya!

"Glory Days" as the Boss would say

3 146
 08-23-2017, 07:02 PM
User Info
Just curious, did anyone win a brush?

29 257
 08-24-2017, 12:07 PM
User Info
(08-23-2017, 07:02 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: Just curious, did anyone win a brush?

We haven't closed the contest yet. It will run out to the end of this month.

3 1,036
 08-31-2017, 12:38 PM
User Info
We’ve decided to run the Paladin Purple Haze Lollapalooza through the Labor Day Weekend. The cutoff for qualifying entries will be midnight on Monday, September 4. After that it will probably take us at least a few days to sort everything out and notify the winners.

Regrettably, we haven’t had much time to put into this event since announcing it. I had hoped to take more active part in making it fun and interesting. We very much appreciate those who stepped in and helped take up the slack.

Sincere thanks to all who participated!

3 1,036
 08-31-2017, 12:46 PM
User Info
(08-31-2017, 12:38 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: We’ve decided to run the Paladin Purple Haze Lollapalooza through the Labor Day Weekend. The cutoff for qualifying entries will be midnight on Monday, September 4. After that it will probably take us at least a few days to sort everything out and notify the winners.

Regrettably, we haven’t had much time to put into this event since announcing it. I had hoped to take more active part in making it fun and interesting. We very much appreciate those who stepped in and helped take up the slack.

Wanted to give you a big thanks not only for the contest but for this forum thread in particular. It's honestly been one of the most enjoyable threads I've gotten to post on in awhile. Lots of good memories and experiences shared!

4 929
 08-31-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
(08-31-2017, 12:46 PM)Oasisdave Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 12:38 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: We’ve decided to run the Paladin Purple Haze Lollapalooza through the Labor Day Weekend. The cutoff for qualifying entries will be midnight on Monday, September 4. After that it will probably take us at least a few days to sort everything out and notify the winners.

Wanted to give you a big thanks not only for the contest but for this forum thread in particular. It's honestly been one of the most enjoyable threads I've gotten to post on in awhile. Lots of good memories and experiences shared!

Thanks, and me too re the posts you and others have contributed. I really wanted to pitch in myself. The memories for me are so rich, it can be a little overwhelming when I tap into them.

3 1,036
 08-31-2017, 03:19 PM
User Info
Pick me, pick me, pick me!  Tongue

Great thread and event!

21 1,813
 09-01-2017, 01:18 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Of course, I procrastinated until the last minute to participate, but better late than never, right? Besides, winning a contest is about the only way the Mrs. will ever let me get another shaving brush!  Biggrin

22 835
 09-01-2017, 07:06 PM
User Info
Anyone out there remember these stereos or similar? [Image: d2d15e5b454da2e6e03ba74ff2749f51.jpg]

3 146